JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think it all depends on where you are hunting, and the terrain they are in. Have seen shotguns, 22's, all the way up to .30-30 /.30-06 deer rifles successfully used on them. I'd look and see what you have now, and make that work for the area you are hunting.

I prefer 223. easy to shoot, a wide range of ammo, everything from 75gr target ammo that good for 300+ yard shots to cheap russian ammo that $.25 a shot. I use it for everything from dog's to beer cans. It also a good round if you are trying to consolidate calibers

The 22-250 is IMO a far better round, faster, flater a lot more bang. but Unless you reload, it gets expensive to shoot.

.243 is a great choice. a little bigger than you prablaby need, but you can deer hunt with it also, so it is a good all around caliber

the ruger .204. If you never heard of it, check out the bolistics! sweet caliber. If I had unlimited funds this would be my coyote round.

22 mag. also cheap to shoot. not going to kill a coyote at a long range very easy, but lots of people use it.

Theres a lot of calibers that will do the job and a lot of opions out there. so do your research, but what you want and you cant go wrong.

..i hunt thim alot and i use a 223... you dont need a 30-06..hahaha yote's only way like 40 pounds on the coast so there is no need and if your looking to save the pelts do not use anything like a 22-250 with a light load... or 223 with anything like a 40Gr v-max....i use a 223 with hand loads 50Gr or if i do use my AR i shoot walmart white box 55Gr thay shoot vary good in my ar and tikka T3..

i have ben knowin to take a yote out pass 500yrd with my 300 win mag

Lots of solid advice. I use an AR because I like AR's, I can have fun at the range with it, and the caliber works well. If I was building a brand new coyote specific gun, I think a 22-250 on a Howa action would be a good price effective solution.

Might want to factor in if you want a pelt in good shape or not too. Larger calibers and bullet types with extreme expansion are going to mess up the fur a little bit more than smaller calibers etc...
I would echo those who tout the 22.250. Beautiful fast and flat shooting. I had a Howa heavy barrel in that caliber in the past. Wish I still had it.

Any good round that will kill them humanly and with out suffering. I prefer .300 Win as it heps disperse food for crows and other animals that might be hungry/

Golly,I've been asking this same question of some friends and I never looked at it this way.

300WM it is!

How about the 243wssm? Is it worth the money and the cost of shells?
I know,reload and save a bunch.But is the round worth looking into?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top