JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think it all depends on where you are hunting, and the terrain they are in. Have seen shotguns, 22's, all the way up to .30-30 /.30-06 deer rifles successfully used on them. I'd look and see what you have now, and make that work for the area you are hunting.

I prefer 223. easy to shoot, a wide range of ammo, everything from 75gr target ammo that good for 300+ yard shots to cheap russian ammo that $.25 a shot. I use it for everything from dog's to beer cans. It also a good round if you are trying to consolidate calibers

The 22-250 is IMO a far better round, faster, flater a lot more bang. but Unless you reload, it gets expensive to shoot.

.243 is a great choice. a little bigger than you prablaby need, but you can deer hunt with it also, so it is a good all around caliber

the ruger .204. If you never heard of it, check out the bolistics! sweet caliber. If I had unlimited funds this would be my coyote round.

22 mag. also cheap to shoot. not going to kill a coyote at a long range very easy, but lots of people use it.

Theres a lot of calibers that will do the job and a lot of opions out there. so do your research, but what you want and you cant go wrong.

..i hunt thim alot and i use a 223... you dont need a 30-06..hahaha yote's only way like 40 pounds on the coast so there is no need and if your looking to save the pelts do not use anything like a 22-250 with a light load... or 223 with anything like a 40Gr v-max....i use a 223 with hand loads 50Gr or if i do use my AR i shoot walmart white box 55Gr thay shoot vary good in my ar and tikka T3..

i have ben knowin to take a yote out pass 500yrd with my 300 win mag

Lots of solid advice. I use an AR because I like AR's, I can have fun at the range with it, and the caliber works well. If I was building a brand new coyote specific gun, I think a 22-250 on a Howa action would be a good price effective solution.

Might want to factor in if you want a pelt in good shape or not too. Larger calibers and bullet types with extreme expansion are going to mess up the fur a little bit more than smaller calibers etc...
I would echo those who tout the 22.250. Beautiful fast and flat shooting. I had a Howa heavy barrel in that caliber in the past. Wish I still had it.

Any good round that will kill them humanly and with out suffering. I prefer .300 Win as it heps disperse food for crows and other animals that might be hungry/

Golly,I've been asking this same question of some friends and I never looked at it this way.

300WM it is!

How about the 243wssm? Is it worth the money and the cost of shells?
I know,reload and save a bunch.But is the round worth looking into?

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top