JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Humerus funny kinda non serious answer .... :) :)

What a hoot. Come on down to the Illinois Valley in Southern Josephine County Oregon. Because of a series of unfortunate events we remain without meaningful law enforcement. Lots of time in the garden oasis galactic paradise of Cave Junction Oregon we have ZERO law enforcement. None.

Everybody carries. Either concealed or open carry. With a permit or no permit. It does not seem to matter. Remember the old TV westerns? Everybody had a hog leg? Almost that good. Also, FWIW, we have little concerns. Very peaceful around us. Legal pot has made it better. Much fun.

Not unusual at all to see two or three august rugged type individuals packing. This includes restaurants, grocery stores, businesses and BANKS. Recognized clients. No problem. My point is that concealed or open carry usually creates little or no problems. At least for us. Very quiet right now.

But that can change quickly. It is funny when my lady friends downstairs neighbor calls up my lady friend and asks what that big "clump, thud" was on her ceiling. My lady friend answers that it was just the machine gun falling off the bed and hitting the floor. Thick carpet. No big deal at all. Cool. :) :)

Respectfully. All Oregon State, US Code Laws And NFA Rules Apply.

I moved up here from Ca 2 years ago and brought with me 3 other voting conservatives that believe in the 2nd amendment. We are raising my grand babies to love America and all of our rights guaranteed under the Bill of Rights.

Amen! It's easy to forget that there are a lot of really good, conservative, 2A folks living deep behind enemy lines and their only crime is being grossly outnumbered by idiot liberals. No man is free until we all are!

WOLVERINES!! :)

I've never felt the need to carry on a day hike, it would just be dead/awkward weight to me. If i'm backpacking for days on end in the wilderness, I take a can of bear mace and have a good knife on hand. The weight and space is even harder to justify the further and longer I go out.

If I car(van) camp in sketchy or popular places like Cougar Reservoir I might bring something... midnight forest tweakers scare me more than any bear cat or wolf ever will.

I enjoyed this thread. We have a lot of beautiful hikes around here. I'd like to open carry on day hikes, but I'm (also) afraid self-righteous hippies will freak out and call the police, or worse, start an argument, which could escalate.

I was looking into the Wilderness Safepacker but I cannot justify $100 for something my wife could probably sew together at home for $20.. Unfortunately no easy way to conceal a large revolver on my person. Long story short I keep a pistol in my day pack at all times.

Is a CZ82 carried in it's original holster open or concealed?
dsc07711.jpg images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSLg24xKUu6Zk48NCcXyKxDEiySmqun5CWfN_QPyx-lNfsHrlCc.jpg
Years ago I was out with some friends, and I had my CZ82 on my belt in the original holster just like this one. After quite a while into the day I got talking guns with one of the other guys, so I took it out to show him. Another friend was really surprised to see it, though she had seen me with it on my belt for hours. She said she never expected there was a gun in it, thought it was a binocular case or something.

:)
Love it.

This is not me but I love it. This guy went to Corvallis, Beaverton, all kinds of places and got people freaked and talked to by the cops. Love this guys reaction to Lebanon.

I'll probably offend a few here, but personally I think this is exactly the wrong way to do things. Freaking people out is not the way to convert them to your way of thinking. A couple years ago a "bubblegum" pulled this same stunt in McMinnville. He posted his confrontation with the cops on youtube. IMO he came across like a jerk, and I respected the cops' professionalism. The ultimate result of his stunt? McMinnville now has a city ordinance that bans open carry. You win pal. You got your 15 seconds of attention and moved on, leaving it worse for the people that live there.

Honestly if I was out with the family walking down the sidewalk downtown and I saw a guy walking along with an AR strapped to his back, I'd herd the family the other way and call it in for the police to check out. No, I'm not a liberal Californian, and I'm certainly not afraid of guns. I'd assume it was probably just an activist trying to get attention and prove a point, but on the off chance that it was some lunatic bent on chaos and mayhem I'd do everything I could to keep my family as far away from them as possible.

Someone open carrying in the woods? Nah, wouldn't bother me a bit. I don't know how the law has changed over the years, but long ago it was legal in Oregon to carry a concealed handgun without a permit if you were hunting, fishing, or prospecting. Anyone know if that's still true?

I'll probably offend a few here, but personally I think this is exactly the wrong way to do things. Freaking people out is not the way to convert them to your way of thinking. A couple years ago a "bubblegum" pulled this same stunt in McMinnville. He posted his confrontation with the cops on youtube. IMO he came across like a jerk, and I respected the cops' professionalism. The ultimate result of his stunt? McMinnville now has a city ordinance that bans open carry. You win pal. You got your 15 seconds of attention and moved on, leaving it worse for the people that live there.

Honestly if I was out with the family walking down the sidewalk downtown and I saw a guy walking along with an AR strapped to his back, I'd herd the family the other way and call it in for the police to check out. No, I'm not a liberal Californian, and I'm certainly not afraid of guns. I'd assume it was probably just an activist trying to get attention and prove a point, but on the off chance that it was some lunatic bent on chaos and mayhem I'd do everything I could to keep my family as far away from them as possible.

Someone open carrying in the woods? Nah, wouldn't bother me a bit. I don't know how the law has changed over the years, but long ago it was legal in Oregon to carry a concealed handgun without a permit if you were hunting, fishing, or prospecting. Anyone know if that's still true?
My post are generally goofy. You didn't offend me btw. You have to know Lebanon and sweethome to find the humor in the video. The humor being no one cared. Would I do it? No...not my style.

Look at his other videos. He's an activist trying to prove a point, like you said. With today's problems with mass shootings...it's a bad choice. Obviously if I had to walk a rifle, it's gonna be with the action open and no mag.

Sorry, I should have been clear; my comment wasn't aimed at you. I didn't take it that you were necessarily advocating that type of activism. And actually the guy in that video seemed more polite than the other one I saw (though I still don't agree with what he's doing).

I've never spent any time in the Lebanon/Sweet Home area, but I did grow up in Coos County. I suspect that maybe someone could walk through downtown Myrtle Point and get a similar (non)reaction. :)

The real reasons I got my chl was

1, my son.

2, public shootings or random acts of violence are sky high.

Things were very different growing up. I grew up in the kip kinkle days. (I didn't bother to spell check his name). Back then those kinds of things were super taboo. Now a public school is kind of scary. All politics aside... people don't think about something until it happens to them.

The way I see it, a gun is like a fire extinguisher. Hopefully you'll go your entire life without ever having to touch that fire extinguisher mounted on the wall, but it better be there at the ready and you better know how to use it, because if that day comes that you need it, you need it RIGHT NOW, and nothing else will do.

The crazy, unpredictable things like Kip Kinkle are actually pretty rare, but they're scary as heck. That actually happened just a few blocks from where we used to live (but before we lived there).

It sure is nice that concealed carry has become so much more acceptable now.

In WA...

"RCW 9.41.060
Exceptions to restrictions on carrying firearms.
The provisions of RCW 9.41.050 shall not apply to:
(8) Any person engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding, only if, considering all of the attendant circumstances, including but not limited to whether the person has a valid hunting or fishing license, it is reasonable to conclude that the person is participating in lawful outdoor activities or is traveling to or from a legitimate outdoor recreation area;"

**Note, CPL is still required to transport a loaded handgun in a vehicle**

I'm not flaunting my S&W 629 riding in a chest rig while hiking, but I'm definitely not worried about hurting some snowflakes' feelings while engaging in perfectly legal activities. Carry on.

2, public shootings or random acts of violence are sky high.

Things were very different growing up. I grew up in the kip kinkle days. (I didn't bother to spell check his name). Back then those kinds of things were super taboo. Now a public school is kind of scary. All politics aside... people don't think about something until it happens to them.

Funny you mention something that happened in 98. There were more murders that year than in 2015, and far less than in the mid-80s to mid-90s. Murder and aggravated assault were at all time highs in that time frame. In the 2000s murders went down to where they were in the late 60s early 70s, yet the population has risen by 100 million people. Murder per 100k people is down to where it was in the early 60s (never been that low since and it was close to double what it is now in the 90s).

The difference is 24-hour news and instant, repetitive news sources in everyone's pocket

Or another way to look at...Oregon is getting too many "sucky" people moving in.

I don't know. I remember going down to the Medford area where my cousins Hope, Faith and Charity and their other sister Myown Sunshine lived in a cabin "off the grid" in the early 70's in their "communal" living arrangement. Didnt like Oregon then and I was 5 years old . Fast forward 40 years I took a job in Oregon and some of my friends (from Oregon) told me "You don't want to live there, the schools suck". Against my inner voice that tells me to listen to people who know what theyr'e talking about I figured its just parents who were uninvolved in their kids lives that bring down test scores. Nope . I was wrong. The schools were atrocious, the taxes heinous and I was constantly waiting for the damned pump jockey to fill my gas tank. HATED IT. Don't even get me started on cover Oregon, the Oregon marine board and how it took me a year to get my boat title when they couldnt figure out how to use their software and the predatory state police.

What you guys need is a big movie about some nice yuppies from California who come to the northwest and get terrorized by backwoods yokels.
Deliverance still makes yankees think twice about coming to the south.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top