JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It is true that the Nut doesn't fall far from the tree - sometimes - other times it falls clear over the Grand Canyon! And, I know that for a fact. Two out of Three turned out to be totally Wacko with one trying to kill themselves at least 3 times and one raised Republican campaigned & voted for the Big Democrat who can't find her backside with his hands and spent 4+ years stealing from their Mother and the rest of the family!

And Ted Bundy's Mommy didn't drop her egg more than a dozen times and still thought Teddy was innocent!!!

KKG:s0037::s0136::s0037:

If we keep hiding our weapons because we might upset the 'out of towners' how are they ever going to get used to the idea people do carry guns? Personally I think it's an opportunity to educate, if all is legal and above board what's their complaint? Sure some panties might get knotted but maybe the next time it'd be 'look, someone's else has a gun' and then a glance w/out a comment and then they get used to it. Especially if the person carrying is also the one helping out their dog and checking on their general well being out in the middle of nowhere. I can take some sideways glances, I always have a smile on my face. No reason to keep things in the dark, not doing us any favors really.

I'm not suggesting that you curtail your rights in an effort to prevent panties from becoming twisted. If open carry is legal and you're out on the trail and need/want to carry openly, then by all means, open carry.

But just don't kid yourself in thinking that this helps educate or change minds. Ask California how the whole "we'll teach you to get comfortable with open carry whether you like it or not," strategy went for them...or Texas...or open carrying in Starbucks...or Target. :rolleyes: Not only does "ramming things down people's throats," NEVER work, it often has the complete opposite effect...it tends to solidify the notion of "gun NUT."

And again, I'm not suggesting you shouldn't exercise your given rights. Only that there are far far better ways to educate and convert people. Taking them shooting is one. Open carrying never converted anyone.

Either get clothes than will do the job or a sidearm that will.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

I agree with you and I assure you and more importantly myself, I am very careful. Because I assume it's probably happened at some point or another without anyone noticing or caring is me just being paranoid. It was more to do with one time, I was wearing shorts that didn't fit as well as they used to and i kept sagging after i left the house. I guarantee you, I didn't wear them again.

Sounds like this guy needs to work on his concealed carry. In my opinion, you've got to be pretty careless if by simply getting something from your pocket, you reveal your carry piece - which is probably why I prefer IWB carry - a shirt has to go up quite a bit before anyone can see.

As for open carry, I've got no objection personally, but wouldn't do it in a place like that simply because the likelihood of getting grief from anti-gunners or out-of-staters in such a busy tourist spot is just too high. Why have to get bothered by some over-zealous anti-gun nut calling in the cops, interrupting your day, etc., etc. I wouldn't hesitate to open carry in more remote areas where I'm less likely to encounter your average tourist from CA.

As to the OP, good on you for helping inform that guy that he was showing and reminding him that he was, technically, breaking the law by carrying concealed without a permit in Oregon. If he had come across someone else, he could have been in big trouble, you may have saved his day in more than one way. I appreciate your pro-gun approach to this encounter.

Californian scum are ruining Oregon and our gun laws. They see the show Portlandia and automatically assume it's a liberal wonderland. It's not. GO BACK TO CALIFORNIA!!!!!!!!
You make it sound like a correction in course has opportunity. Albeit I beget from Washington folk, I've lived in Oregon 67 years now and in my opine; it is too late to stick your finger dike.

I'm not suggesting that you curtail your rights in an effort to prevent panties from becoming twisted. If open carry is legal and you're out on the trail and need/want to carry openly, then by all means, open carry.

But just don't kid yourself in thinking that this helps educate or change minds. Ask California how the whole "we'll teach you to get comfortable with open carry whether you like it or not," strategy went for them...or Texas...or open carrying in Starbucks...or Target. :rolleyes: Not only does "ramming things down people's throats," NEVER work, it often has the complete opposite effect...it tends to solidify the notion of "gun NUT."

And again, I'm not suggesting you shouldn't exercise your given rights. Only that there are far far better ways to educate and convert people. Taking them shooting is one. Open carrying never converted anyone.
Trying to convert a liberal via open carry is like trying to convert a preacher to use a whore house. It's just way too much way too soon. You have to slowly chip away at them because they are fragile people.

The best way to convert liberals is to cover them in hot dog juice and throw them in bear territory. I mean...try to explain to them the importance of safety...um... protection...whatever.

Good for you OP... I like to hear people helping others out and especially the dogs.
I went to the little fair at River Park today in Salem... one way in with 6 security people going through purses and asking if you have a pocket knife on ya.. The wife left her purse in the truck but I had a pocket knife and the shield 45 on me, they didnt see either one and I just walked in.

Personally, I choose to Carry Concealed unless I'm also wearing a Badge at the time. But, even then I have always chosen to Carry something else Concealed. And, more than once other LEOs I worked with might OR might Not know I am. Simply MY choice. I have always maintained a CPL wherever I was working. Frankly, I don't attempt to convert anyone.

If someone wishes to learn about firearms I'm more than happy to teach them and have gone to the trouble/expense to learn how to do it right.

Open carrying never converted anyone.

Truer words were never spoken Cabo.

I put that mentality right up there with the spontaneous spewing of personal opinions about religion (or immigration or abortion or gender identity or race or politics) at the workplace water cooler, because it obviously works sooo well.

Last Edited:
27 years of open carry in the trails of Oregon and Washington. No one has ever said a word to me other that the occasional nod from someone else I see on the trail who is also open carrying. Concealed carry is for in town.

My oldest son just moved up from L.A. and commented how he sees people all over Sweet Home carrying guns in the open. He asked why they were doing it? I told him its because they can and to go down and get himself a permit if he wants to carry concealed otherwise just get on the carry train.

Sounds like this guy needs to work on his concealed carry. In my opinion, you've got to be pretty careless if by simply getting something from your pocket, you reveal your carry piece - which is probably why I prefer IWB carry - a shirt has to go up quite a bit before anyone can see.

As for open carry, I've got no objection personally, but wouldn't do it in a place like that simply because the likelihood of getting grief from anti-gunners or out-of-staters in such a busy tourist spot is just too high. Why have to get bothered by some over-zealous anti-gun nut calling in the cops, interrupting your day, etc., etc. I wouldn't hesitate to open carry in more remote areas where I'm less likely to encounter your average tourist from CA.

As to the OP, good on you for helping inform that guy that he was showing and reminding him that he was, technically, breaking the law by carrying concealed without a permit in Oregon. If he had come across someone else, he could have been in big trouble, you may have saved his day in more than one way. I appreciate your pro-gun approach to this encounter.
Another great post from @etrain16, I wish I could give you more than one like!!!!

My oldest son just moved up from L.A. and commented how he sees people all over Sweet Home carrying guns in the open
:)
Love it.

This is not me but I love it. This guy went to Corvallis, Beaverton, all kinds of places and got people freaked and talked to by the cops. Love this guys reaction to Lebanon.

:)
Love it.

This is not me but I love it. This guy went to Corvallis, Beaverton, all kinds of places and got people freaked and talked to by the cops. Love this guys reaction to Lebanon.

Yeah, my son is buying a house in Lebanon. That pretty much looks like middle of the afternoon there.

Yeah, my son is buying a house in Lebanon
It has it's pros and cons. I love Linn county but after 10 years in Lebanon I'm done with my house. Next property will be land. I will try not having neighbors close by.

Lebanon is filled with methed out choads who don't control their pets and have no volume control. Some nights, the smell of pot in the streets is legendary. Other than that...lol it's alright.

Met up with someone on a trail on Mt. Hood today, and noted he was carrying concealed. Being a volunteer wilderness steward, I commented, "I see you are carrying concealed. You are under no obligation to answer, but do you have a concealed carry permit for that?"
He responds, "I only have a WA permit, not Oregon."
So my partner and I advise him that here in the Kommie Republik or Portland, people get rattled and may call him in on his weapon. We remind him, the downside of that happening could be the loss of his right to carry.
He shifts it to a pack, much to our relief.
If you're reading this, thank you.
We meant it when we thanked you for carrying, and your support of the 2nd Amendment.

While I'm happy to tell people who might comment on my carrying, GFY, I don't want to be in the position of having to do it because I'm careless.
Be smart, know the laws, carry safely and discretely.
So Oregon and Washington don't offer reciprocity ?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top