JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
For what it's worth; After spending 10+ years in SAR you two weren't drinking enough. Should have been one each.

Agree but I'm guessing the OP was hydrated before he left on said hike unlike all the other dumb assery walking around. You wouldn't want to do it on a daily basis but good on him for helping those who needed it.

Agree but I'm guessing the OP was hydrated before he left on said hike unlike all the other dumb assery walking around. You wouldn't want to do it on a daily basis but good on him for helping those who needed it.
Probably true but there's an old saying in SAR "If you Ain't tinkeling you Ain't hydrated!" So I am just saying...

We were on a trail that was 3.5 miles, the last two of them uphill, and 1.5 of those 2 miles in direct sun with no shade. This is not a hard hike, but some people at the destination were looking pretty worse for the wear. These folk had a 1/2 mile to go, all in sun, and were looking pretty close to heat exhaustion - so we stopped and asked if they were OK (yes), how many in your group , do they all have enough water (five people, one quart of water between them, already empty), and btw, did you fill out a permit at the trail head. He reaches into his pocket and I see a glance of it, looks like a M&P in OWB. None of my business, but it felt off. I see he's printing badly through a thin T-shirt, and think about the dozens of Californians at the end of the trail, many of whom my partner and I just spoke with. If he he said "yes, I have a carry permit" I'd have thanked him and thought nothing more of it. We refilled their quart and moved along.

In the 5 hours we were on the trail, we met ~250 people, with 6 people who were clearly not right in the head. I'd estimate that 1/3 of them were not prepared. They read about this hike in a book, and it said it was easy.

I figured it was something like that. Thanks for the reply.;)

If we keep hiding our weapons because we might upset the 'out of towners' how are they ever going to get used to the idea people do carry guns? Personally I think it's an opportunity to educate, if all is legal and above board what's their complaint? Sure some panties might get knotted but maybe the next time it'd be 'look, someone's else has a gun' and then a glance w/out a comment and then they get used to it. Especially if the person carrying is also the one helping out their dog and checking on their general well being out in the middle of nowhere. I can take some sideways glances, I always have a smile on my face. No reason to keep things in the dark, not doing us any favors really.

And for what it's worth; I for one(& I'm very sure that this counts for most of SAR/ESAR) am VERY, VERY happy that there are folks out there doing what you're doing just so we don't have to listen to the phone call "Gear up!" Near as often as we once did!

Oh wait; there's ten/20/30 times the number of idiots out there so OUR Numbers still haven't dropped. In fact, the are still going up. Of course, more of them are "Darwin" calls but those take as much time plus More paperwork.

I've seen the hydration thing a couple of times. Met a twentysomething couple at the top of Angel's Rest that only brought a PINT of water each. They were hurting. I gave them the quart of Gatorade I had in my pack and wife did same, then we filled their bottles up from our pack bladders.

Then there was a time we saw search and rescue hauling a guy down the trail that goes above Wahkeena Falls and connects back down to Multnomah.

He was a pretty big guy, kind of like Brian Dennehy, and he only brought a quart. They hauled him down on a gurney, and at the bottom the firemen were thrashed! Fire chief lines up all his guys and hands them each a quart of water and says "drink this"

On the way down saw a woman hiking up Multnomah Falls in high heels!

I carried out my first DB before I turned 17. Rigor had set in and while his arms were strapped down; one of them popped up and hit my Asst. TL right in the butt. Heart Attacks we're had by all!!!:D:D:D

I carried out my first DB before I turned 17. Rigor had set in and while his arms were strapped down; one of them popped up and hit my Asst. TL right in the butt. Heart Attacks we're had by all!!!:D:D:D
Even the dead wanna get some....
As for the idiots, in Wyoming we used to call them "Tourons", as in Tourist Morons. High heels, approaching buffalo or moose to pet/feed them, attempting to wade across rivers (Hoback & unnamed streams), hiking into the Tetons in tank tops and CFM shorts w/o sunscreen or enough water, climbing over barriers to get closer to the sulphur hot pool, and my personal favorite, the guy in the bar who called the sheep rancher a dumb farmer, and promptly received a proper drubbing.

People have always been stupid. Always will be. There's just more people today and a mass media to help spread it like wild fire. I've had my moments and everyone has too. I at least know what I don't know, especially when it comes to being out in the wilderness. I do go hiking, but they are fairly easy trails. If I try anything more demanding, it will be with friends who I know are experienced of which I have a couple.
As for CC, I've been licensed for almost a year. I'm sure I've flashed my pistol at some point or another, but so far I've not had any trouble and that's living in Portland. I'm usually pretty careful and I've grown comfortably non complacent.

Alex V; A VERY big part of having a CPL is the Part called Concealed. If you can't keep it Concealed then you need to make a trip to the right Taylor! If you can't keep it covered you are just as likely to be Shot by a Bad Guy as you are to being Shot by one of the Good Guys. You may not look like OBL but when "they" took him down, neither did HE.

Phyllis Diller once or twice made the comment that she was built like a Bag Full of Door Knobs - some with the door still attached! For her Concealed would have been easy! Don Knotts, not so much. He would have had trouble Concealing a small firecracker!

Either get clothes than will do the job or a sidearm that will.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

As long as they don't have kids, I'm thinking we should encourage more liberals to go on longer more harsher hikes in hopes they get lost and don't survive.

I'm not sure Kids have a lot to do with this topic. I've seen CONSERVATIVELY raised Kids turn out to be the most Liberal, Liberals you could ever imagine! Maybe, if you consider those under 4 to 6, then yes but nothing over that. By 8 or Ten they're too far gone and any in High School is beyond hope.

They can be just as FAR gone as their Parents.

I've Simply carried too many bodies out of the woods that should NOT have been there.

And for what it's worth; I for one(& I'm very sure that this counts for most of SAR/ESAR) am VERY, VERY happy that there are folks out there doing what you're doing just so we don't have to listen to the phone call "Gear up!" Near as often as we once did!

Oh wait; there's ten/20/30 times the number of idiots out there so OUR Numbers still haven't dropped. In fact, the are still going up. Of course, more of them are "Darwin" calls but those take as much time plus More paperwork.

Yep, I agree that safety labels should be banned so we can let nature sort it out...;)

If we keep hiding our weapons because we might upset the 'out of towners' how are they ever going to get used to the idea people do carry guns? Personally I think it's an opportunity to educate, if all is legal and above board what's their complaint? Sure some panties might get knotted but maybe the next time it'd be 'look, someone's else has a gun' and then a glance w/out a comment and then they get used to it. Especially if the person carrying is also the one helping out their dog and checking on their general well being out in the middle of nowhere. I can take some sideways glances, I always have a smile on my face. No reason to keep things in the dark, not doing us any favors really.

Well by keeping are guns hiding our guns in the dark and it heeps the Liberals in the light. They should see that we mean business but some 2A proponents will think it's too heavy-handed to show them our guns and show us in a negative light.

Last Edited:
Yep, I agree that safety labels should be banned so we can let nature sort it out...;)
No kidding. Babies get thirsty too, ya know.. sheesh!

th?id=OIP.-4SlzngnlR0OiO4KinhACACGEs&w=121&h=203&c=7&qlt=90&o=4&dpr=1.5&pid=1.7.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top