JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Met up with someone on a trail on Mt. Hood today, and noted he was carrying concealed. Being a volunteer wilderness steward, I commented, "I see you are carrying concealed. You are under no obligation to answer, but do you have a concealed carry permit for that?"
He responds, "I only have a WA permit, not Oregon."
So my partner and I advise him that here in the Kommie Republik or Portland, people get rattled and may call him in on his weapon. We remind him, the downside of that happening could be the loss of his right to carry.
He shifts it to a pack, much to our relief.
If you're reading this, thank you.
We meant it when we thanked you for carrying, and your support of the 2nd Amendment.

While I'm happy to tell people who might comment on my carrying, GFY, I don't want to be in the position of having to do it because I'm careless.
Be smart, know the laws, carry safely and discretely.

Last Edited:
I live near Willamette nf...a lot of places to truly get away and see no one else. I can totally see a bunch of Portlanders screaming bloody hell on mt.hood nf cause someone has a gun holstered. I'm used to seeing absolutely nobody when I go into the mountains.

We told him, the proper way to carry was openly. He could do that and risk Kalifornicated Alarms, or just be smart and hide it.
You would be appalled at the number of profoundly stupid Californians we met on the trail today.
"We're just up from California!" Us: I see your dog is ready to collapse. Do you have enough water? (We then soak the coat of the dog with our water) Between us, we had 10 quarts of water, we gave away 6, used 3 on dogs, and drank 1 between us.

We told him, the proper way to carry was openly. He could do that and risk Kalifornicated Alarms, or just be smart and hide it.
You would be appalled at the number of profoundly stupid Californians we met on the trail today.
"We're just up from California!" Us: I see your dog is ready to collapse. Do you have enough water? (We then soak the coat of the dog with our water) Between us, we had 10 quarts of water, we gave away 6, used 3 on dogs, and drank 1 between us.
They really need to just stay in the city.

I've never had an issue with open carry. Even though I have CC's for both WA and OR, I open carry in the woods.

BTW, your good people to be helping dogs and hippies with your water and gun advice - if we had more like y'all I wouldn't think most people are stupid;).

Here I thought you caught me walking around today...

IMG_3588.JPG

Wait a minute, if the guy was carrying concealed.... how did you spot his piece?
Just curious unless he was printing badly...
We were on a trail that was 3.5 miles, the last two of them uphill, and 1.5 of those 2 miles in direct sun with no shade. This is not a hard hike, but some people at the destination were looking pretty worse for the wear. These folk had a 1/2 mile to go, all in sun, and were looking pretty close to heat exhaustion - so we stopped and asked if they were OK (yes), how many in your group , do they all have enough water (five people, one quart of water between them, already empty), and btw, did you fill out a permit at the trail head. He reaches into his pocket and I see a glance of it, looks like a M&P in OWB. None of my business, but it felt off. I see he's printing badly through a thin T-shirt, and think about the dozens of Californians at the end of the trail, many of whom my partner and I just spoke with. If he he said "yes, I have a carry permit" I'd have thanked him and thought nothing more of it. We refilled their quart and moved along.

In the 5 hours we were on the trail, we met ~250 people, with 6 people who were clearly not right in the head. I'd estimate that 1/3 of them were not prepared. They read about this hike in a book, and it said it was easy.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews