JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I sent my paperwork to the ATF a few weeks ago. After they cash my check how long does it take to get back? is it the sort of thing where they open the envelope, cash the check then "get around to it when they have the time" or do the finish everything up and when the check clears I know my tax stamp is in the mail? I heard they are anywhere between 30 to 90 days, obviously I am hoping for the 30 lol.

If your check is cashed, you are good to go... That is the last thing which they do after processing your paperwork. They dispose of the check if you failed the background check or did not like your paperwork and send you a letter stating so.

For time line, I do not know... Maybe a few weeks after the check is cashed.

If your check is cashed, you are good to go... That is the last thing which they do after processing your paperwork. They dispose of the check if you failed the background check or did not like your paperwork and send you a letter stating so.

For time line, I do not know... Maybe a few weeks after the check is cashed.

That is not correct. The check is the first thing they cash. Then they forward the paperwork to West Virginia. Then the wait begins. With all that is happening you could possibly expect a wait of up to 4 months.:(

So if they cash your check and then deny you do they cut you a new check? The reason I ask is that my check just got cashed after a month of being with the BATF, but I'm pretty sure my FFL screwed up the paperwork.

They have an internal policy of 90 days.... my first one was 5 months....and it took a call to my congressman (Then Stan Bunn, who was an NRA member) to get it done. At that time (95) they had NFA clerks throwing forms away because they had too much work to do.... My subsequent forms have been approved in less than a month.

They have an internal policy of 90 days.... my first one was 5 months....and it took a call to my congressman (Then Stan Bunn, who was an NRA member) to get it done. At that time (95) they had NFA clerks throwing forms away because they had too much work to do.... My subsequent forms have been approved in less than a month.

When you say "subsequent forms" do you mean within the past few weeks, months or years? I sent my paperwork in end of december I think on the 30th, and my check got cashed the day i posted this. So am i still looking at waiting 120 more days maybe?

I've had Form 3's take longer than that.:(

When you say "subsequent forms" do you mean within the past few weeks, months or years? I sent my paperwork in end of december I think on the 30th, and my check got cashed the day i posted this. So am i still looking at waiting 120 more days maybe?

It's just a waiting game. You never know. A lot has to do with the examiner. The Form 4's I've done normally took about 8 weeks, but that was before the BIG rush.

When I had my trouble in 1995 that took the Congressman's help the ATF/NFA clerks just shined me and gave me the total run-a-round on the phone. It was hideous. I asked for a supervisor repeatedly and got x-fered to dead end phones. Sups were always out to lunch and/or in a meeting. I asked for their office of professional responsibility etc and got blown off. About the same time Soldier of Fortune (I think) wrote and article about the derelect NFA clerks.

Since then it has gotten a lot better. (I only have 4 other form 4s/1s) If it went long and you felt like they were messing with you I would get on the phone to Washington (your rep) - But I have not heard those kind of horror stories in over a decade.

I submitted a Form 1 in late Oct. Cashed the check right away. Just called and said it finally got to the examiner. Submitted a Form 4 the first week of Dec. Same thing with the check. But, the form does not pop up in their tracking "system". Their retort was "we are several weeks backlogged".

I submitted a Form 1 in late Oct. Cashed the check right away. Just called and said it finally got to the examiner. Submitted a Form 4 the first week of Dec. Same thing with the check. But, the form does not pop up in their tracking "system". Their retort was "we are several weeks backlogged".

Tracking system? do you have any links to this so I can maybe track mine?

Ok a little off topic but in the same area.. How much more work is it to get an FFL. Have wanted one for a few years now but never had the money and now I do. but with that I hear that they changed some rules stating that you need a store front now. I live in Portland, Oregon.

Alot of things go into how long it takes. BATF has a bueracrate for every so many dealers. If you happen to have a dealer that sells alot of stuff or is in a group that sells alot then the paperwork can take months. The paper shuffle has probably slowed down due to a new pres.

jj

Ok a little off topic but in the same area.. How much more work is it to get an FFL. Have wanted one for a few years now but never had the money and now I do. but with that I hear that they changed some rules stating that you need a store front now. I live in Portland, Oregon.

Why not start a new thread since this is an entirely new discussion.:s0155:

Here's my time-line: Mailed paperwork on Dec 17th, ATF got it on Dec 22nd, Approved on Feb 24th, got my new toy today (3/10/10). :) Not too bad considering some of the stories you hear on line.

My form 4 for a SBR (Trust ownership, not individual) timeline:
Forms sent 1st week of December, check was cashed within a week of that. As of today, March 10, no Tax Stamp yet. I have not called them. I can just envision the people calling every day from across the country asking about their status---how much time is that taking away from what they should be doing??(working on MY form!) DON'T call, people! Just be patient! :)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top