JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Since new toys seem to be put on hold I decided to make the best of what I've got. Mantis X 10 and the Blackbeard, blitzkrieg components tritium sites, radian safety and charging handle, Larue trigger, exps3, upgraded trigger springs, and some repair kits for high wear parts. I'm just kind of going through them one at a time and upgrading things with what I feel are the best components I can afford.

That's where I'm at. I'm upgrading and reorganizing what I already own to optimize it's usefulness.

I need a couple optics. I'm buying them one at a time, and doing a bunch of research. I've been looking for a couple months. Its easy to hurry up and click "place order" and have to sell it at a loss because it's not quite what you want. I think I've settled on the PA GLX 2X for $369 for the first one. Yes, I can afford more expensive choices, but I think it will do what I want and I just can't see having a ton of money tied up in this stuff, and it lets me throw more $$ at my mortgage.

My mistake has been buying without selling. That is going to be an even bigger obstacle to overcome in Measure 114 environment as there will likely be fewer buyers. I should have settled on owning 20 or so firearms at a time and then committed to selling one before buying another. That didn't happen so now I have many firearms that I've never shot once. The thrill for me is the hunt and purchase. After that they get tossed into lock up to spend most of their days in darkness.
Want-ting is not a city in China. Wanting is one of the worst mental diseases and has lead to lots of trouble and conflict down through history. Land, power, money, things. Wanting, getting and subsequently losing interest in an object is a very common process for those of us with an acquisitive nature.

I would like to think Measure 114 will encourage me to use what I've got since new purchases will be severely restricted. Knowing myself, it's more likely that I will start chasing parts, accessories, ammo, reloading supplies, etc instead of having fun with what I already have. The addiction is likely to the shopping but it just happens that the shopping I crave is for firearm related stuff.
Absolutely this. Measures such as I-594 have had a strangling effect on transfer of firearms. Likely 114 will have a similar effect. I would've never gotten my count up to 485 under current legal means.

Umm, Hi everybody, I'm R.C. and I'm addicted to buying guns. I love the smell of Hoppe's no. 9, burnt powder, and gunstock oil. I am ashamed to admit that I did in fact let a sweet little Ruger Mk II SS talk her way into my life and my safe last month. Bought her an extra mag and holster. We are headed to the range now for a first date. Sure hope everything goes okay, I'm sorta nervous. Maybe I will be steady enough when the time comes to work some magic.

I did turn away from the siren song of a skinny tall silver complexion Rossi 92 in .357mag. But only because it seemed like things wouldn't work with my other lever actioned friends that have always remained true to me. Winchesters, Henrys, and Brazilians don't always get along, due mostly to old sh-t from way back I don't care to bring up right now. Thanks for letting me in the club and speak my piece. I have conversed extensively with my sponsor, try to stay away from enablers, and will continue to work the steps.

Buying stuff we don't need IS the American way. Our capitalist economy literally depends on it so the pressures to do so bombards us practically every waking moment. Stuff = happiness is the belief we are raised with.
Don't confuse consumerism with capitalism. We managed to flourish for a couple hundred years with a capitalist economy (I prefer the term "free enterprise system") before consumerism became a thing.
I know several Russians and people from other eastern block countries. They ALL seem to buy into our crack habit way of life shortly after moving here.
Consumerism is the crack habit - driven by advertising which creates artificial demand and promotes faddism, facilitated by television and other mass media. It is a corruption of the capitalist system, not an essential part of it.

Don't confuse consumerism with capitalism. We managed to flourish for a couple hundred years with a capitalist economy (I prefer the term "free enterprise system") before consumerism became a thing.

Consumerism is the crack habit - driven by advertising which creates artificial demand and promotes faddism, facilitated by television and other mass media. It is a corruption of the capitalist system, not an essential part of it.
And not just buying stuff, but buying it on credit. I haven't noticed it so much lately, maybe I am just used to it or haven't been paying attention, but buying stuff on credit (debt) is (or was) pushed at us constantly, left and right. It isn't how much you can afford, but how much debt you can pay (at a minimum principal and maximum interest). Sellers are pushing financing and credit lines.

Notice how Amazon is pushing payments with their credit card and Affirm? Gun/ammo sellers are doing the same thing now.

Car manufacturers and sellers are making as much, or more, revenue with their financing than they are the profit on the car itself.

I always pay off my credit card every month and have for the past 15 years. If I can't buy something and pay "cash" (or pay off the charge to my CC off immediately) - I do not buy it and that is the main reason I have stopped buying guns (that and the fact that I don't need any more guns - in fact, I have more than I need).

I almost went bankrupt in the 90s because I had so much credit card debt I was using one credit card to pay off the other, then I lost my job. Once I got a new job, I made a concerted effort to pay off that debt, but it took 10 years to do it (I was unemployed again once, during the dot com crunch, for two years with almost no income and very little savings - fortunately, I had very low monthly expenses).

Consumerism and easy "credit" (debt) is and will be the ruin of many people in the USA.

I always pay off my credit card every month and have for the past 15 years. If I can't buy something and pay "cash" (or pay off the charge to my CC off immediately) - I do not buy it and that is the main reason I have stopped buying guns (that and the fact that I don't need any more guns - in fact, I have more than I need).

Me too. I use a rewards card for most daily purchases, and pay it off as I go. Doing this earned me $1050 in 2022 while paying zero interest.

Me too. I use a rewards card for most daily purchases, and pay it off as I go. Doing this earned me $1050 in 2022 while paying zero interest.
Here, here. Follow the same process, rewards cash back card, all expenses go through that and paid in full each month. For 2022, the kickback was $1,027 and no interest or card fees…. I like free money!

I have been on a gun buying binge since just before the election. I have justified this recent binge by convincing myself that I won't be able to purchase any more firearms through FFLs if Measure 114 restrictions go into effect. I believe an outsider looking in on my purchases would think I am addicted.

Has anybody else here felt the need to curb their firearm shopping habits? If so how did you do it?

Edit:

I am thinking about turning over my bank accounts to my wife and taking a small cash allowance every other week. The allowance would only be enough to cover personal expenses (food, fuel, etc). If I really needed something firearm related I would have to sell or trade something I already have. I have so much firearm related crap on hand, I shouldn't need anything for a long while.

I was saving up for a new car but those savings are gone. I haven't contributed any funds to my IRA in a long time. And I ran up another $2800 on a CC balance. I have paid cash for nearly every firearm I have bought in the last couple of months. But, I have used the CC to purchase stuff I would have normally used the debit card for.

I need to start using cash only. I find I spend more when I buy stuff with a card.

The wife is going to be disappointed.
I was habitually buying guns, but stopped myself as I haven't gotten out to shoot the last 6 or 7 guns that I bought. So, I can't really justify buying more. However I want one of those Kimber micro 9, but measure 14 has me reluctant to order one. I don't want to pay Oregon $65 to excercise my constitutional right. I might do it just to put myself through the hassle. I am my own worst enemy sometimes. Lol

Umm, Hi everybody, I'm R.C. and I'm addicted to buying guns. I love the smell of Hoppe's no. 9, burnt powder, and gunstock oil. I am ashamed to admit that I did in fact let a sweet little Ruger Mk II SS talk her way into my life and my safe last month. Bought her an extra mag and holster. We are headed to the range now for a first date. Sure hope everything goes okay, I'm sorta nervous. Maybe I will be steady enough when the time comes to work some magic.
If your new one is anything like the three I've owned, you will be very happy. The only potential down side to an earlier Ruger 22 automatic is the reassembly after takedown for cleaning. If you need any assistance, PM me.

The only potential down side to an earlier Ruger 22 automatic is the reassembly after takedown for cleaning.
I've got an early model and have to go to the online video. Every. Single. Time. To get it back together. Even after purchasing and installing the Tandemkross hammer bushing that makes it a little easier.

Love my MarkIV. That's they way a pistol ought to be.

Buying?
Now building is a whole nother thing… :p:p:p

LOOK. Squirrel!!!!

B7FDCB82-388F-47D9-A12A-417AEFD4FBC2.jpeg

I am thinking about turning over my bank accounts to my wife and taking a small cash allowance every other week. The allowance would only be enough to cover personal expenses (food, fuel, etc).
*Wait* ...This is how I'm set up already. :) Nalley's $1.68 (Wal-Mart). Anything extra requires three levels of authorization. 🤣

I have been on a gun buying binge since just before the election. I have justified this recent binge by convincing myself that I won't be able to purchase any more firearms through FFLs if Measure 114 restrictions go into effect. I believe an outsider looking in on my purchases would think I am addicted.

Has anybody else here felt the need to curb their firearm shopping habits? If so how did you do it?

Edit:

I am thinking about turning over my bank accounts to my wife and taking a small cash allowance every other week. The allowance would only be enough to cover personal expenses (food, fuel, etc). If I really needed something firearm related I would have to sell or trade something I already have. I have so much firearm related crap on hand, I shouldn't need anything for a long while.

I was saving up for a new car but those savings are gone. I haven't contributed any funds to my IRA in a long time. And I ran up another $2800 on a CC balance. I have paid cash for nearly every firearm I have bought in the last couple of months. But, I have used the CC to purchase stuff I would have normally used the debit card for.

I need to start using cash only. I find I spend more when I buy stuff with a card.

The wife is going to be disappointed.
I am quite thinking that my good friend @arakboss is gonna get some Trophy Points outta This post! :)

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top