JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
No. I have a rule where I don't get ANY new guns until I finish guns. If I get a pistol, I have to get extra mags, range time, iron sights I like, holster, mag pouch, bore snake, light (if applicable), holster for the gun/light combo, hanger storage for the new addition to the safe, practice ammo, deffensive ammo, and any upgrades I want to do.

Rifles are the same way. I have one unfinished one and it's a 10/22 takedown because I can't find the mount I want for the scope. Iron sights, optic, optic mount, muzzle device, stock, qd mounts, qd swivels, Sling, extra mags, practice ammo, defensive ammo, rail covers, upgrades, etx., etc., blah blah blah.

This way I don't have any guns that are sitting around that are not ready-to-go because of some part I couldn't afford or ammo I don't have. Doing this really helped me focus more on shooting and where I want my setups to be over sheer volume, and allows everything to be carried or used, thus making all of them useful to me as opposed to just sitting there gatherin' dust.

I stopped selling anything years ago to afford something new and now only get stuff that I really enjoy using, not just owning. Everything fills a niche, and none of them go hungry.

To each their own, my way is good for me, but it really helped. Me. Good luck Man, I hope you figure out what works for you... and your family. 🤘

There's no such thing as an addiction to purchasing guns. The perception of such an "addiction" is based entirely on the very real movement to ban all guns. Under such a movement, its impossible to predict which guns will be banned at what time and or when all guns will be banned so people are trying (naturally) to get "grandfathered" in.
there would be no panic buying or bulk buying or perceived "addiction" to buying if there was no movement to prohibit anyone from buying. That bucket-list gun you kinda want at the store would stay there indefinitely unless some real legitimate need arrived.

Last Edited:
There's no such thing as an addiction to purchasing guns. The perception of such an "addiction" is based entirely on the very real movement to ban all guns. Under such a movement, its impossible to predict which guns will be at what time and or when guns will be banned so people are trying (naturally) to get "grandfathered" in.
there would be no panic buying or bulk buying or perceived "addiction" to buying if there was no movement to prohibit anyone from buying. That bucket-list gun you kinda want at the store would stay there indefinitely unless some real legitimate need arrived.

Of course there is. There is panic buying because of a threat or perceived threat of future scarcity, but there is also shopping addiction. The addiction to the dopamine hit from buying. Both things exist.

Of course there is. There is panic buying because of a threat or perceived threat of future scarcity, but there is also shopping addiction. The addiction to the dopamine hit from buying. Both things exist.
then maybe there is an addiction to shopping but thats another subject than guns.

I know that there are layers and levels of addiction, but to me the term implies a person's overuse or abuse to the point that actual harm is done - finances drained, jobs lost, relationships broken, health destroyed, etc. If you're meeting your financial obligations, holding down your job, maintaining and growing your relationships, etc. then I say go buy your guns. You have one life to live, so enjoy it. But if you're delinquent on bills, putting your job in jeopardy, and damaging your relationships in your quest to acquire guns, it's probably worth pumping the brakes and reassessing your life choices.

Last Edited:
I have struggled with my addiction for many years now. Unable to stay on the wagon more than 6 months at a stretch. Ordered one 9mm today, bought 3 rifles in November, December dollar$ went to gifts. Every time before I purchase another, I do tell myself- this is the last one - ever. Then one of them in LGS case or rack, on line, or a buddy is a little short on cash the next acquisition starts whispering to me "I'll be good to you. I will never let you down if you take me with you. I need a good home and good friends to live and play with." Occasionally I am able to set it back down, turn off the computer, or say my dollars are pre spent. But just as often I tell myself, heck, I work OT, live cheap, and remember great deals I passed on that day, came back the next after sleeping on it, with the gun I dreamed about on it's way to someone else. The FFL I use tells me the gun addicts anonymous meeting is Saturday morning at his shop, he will put on a pot of coffee.

I suppose someone should point out, unlike drugs or gambling, if a person is purchasing guns in a judicious manner (not overpaying) there is opportunity to make money or at least get most of it back upon sale. Holsters, scopes, and other accessories - maybe not so much.
Show of hands. Anyone else out there have a drawer full of holsters you're not even sure you have a gun that fits? :s0162:

. The FFL I use tells me the gun addicts anonymous meeting is Saturday morning at his shop, he will put on a pot of coffee.
DO NOT GO! He is a pusher and this supposed meeting is a ploy to get you into his shop so you smell all that gun oil and hoppes 9. You will end up getting those cravings again and slip back into the life, dont be fooled he knows what he is doing.

Show of hands. Anyone else out there have a drawer full of holsters you're not even sure you have a gun that fits? :s0162:
Holsters, magazines and ammo that dont currently have a home and several scopes, rings and mounts, I wont even get started on parts.

Addicted to purchasing firearms, no. I consider firearms as mere investments in future freedom and liberty. It's critical that each household member be sufficiently equipped to do just that, protect and defend, life, liberty and freedom…

train yourself to recognize the pattern of thinking
Self realization that there might be a problem is the first step.

Am I addicted to buying guns...no.
I do not feel an urge / desire to buy , just because something is available ...

I have bought guns , because they looked like they would be fun to own or shoot...and soon afterwards sold or traded 'em off.
There are different levels to this issue. Words that come to mind are compulsion, impulse buying, opportunity.

And I would add - reloading supplies. Sheesh. I was looking at my reloading logs yesterday only to realize I haven't loaded anything since March of 2021. I stockpiled a bunch of components when I could get them at a reasonable price and ammo was getting scarce. But since I wasn't caught short on ammo in the first place, there was really no need to reload. I should be done "buying cheap and stacking deep". But still, when I see an ad for 9mm shells at 25 cents per round in the classified section here, well, I'm glad they weren't local. In reality though, I'm not spending the kind of money to put me in a financial bind or divorce court.
Then there is the hoarding issue.

It's interesting that this thread has come along at this time. Lately, I've been doing a retrospective study of my gun buying history. Starting in 1965 right up to this moment. I've been pretty thorough researching my records and I'm convinced I've documented 99.9% of the various guns that I've owned in my lifetime.

What I've recorded is that I've owned 485 guns in my lifetime. Within that number, only a few were owned more than once. For me, it's been a hobby. The activity has provided me with a lot of enjoyment over the years. Never has the financial aspect interfered with the rest of my life. Most guns I've owned have been turned over in relatively short periods of time. At present, I own a total of 22 firearms. So you can see most of the 485 have gone away. Of those 22 that I still have, some have been with me for a long time, as long as since 1966. My most recent acquisition came along in 2022.

As a hobby, it's been pretty self-sustaining financially. I've seen many numbers in the "sold" column that are less than what I paid. Yet I've had some solid and occasional spectacular gains on the other hand. I haven't gone down the columns to see how I've done overall in the last 58 years. Inflation makes that a little difficult for a quick study. About four or five years ago, I did a ten year study on just gains and losses and I came out with a small surplus. But that included an era when I bought many guns new at retail. When you buy new at retail, you're bound to incur some loss. In Wash., you can figure on an automatic 10% premium just from state tax so there are different angles to consider.

One weakness that I've had is the desire to revisit a favorite firearm type that I'd previously owned and subsequently sold. I've gone down that road maybe 10 or 15 times.

Another pattern of my buying has been favorite manufacturers or designs. The lists of Smith & Wessons, Walthers, Mausers, Winchesters, Remingtons and M1 Rifles are lengthy.

Buying opportunities presented themselves when the wave of inexpensive "milsurp" firearms came into the country. I couldn't resist buying Swiss, Russian and Austrian rifles for low prices.

When I got to be an elder and started having health issues, I arrived at that self realization step. When that happened, I disposed of the majority of my holdings but kept enough to still have some entertainment from the remainder. After all, nobody lives forever and we're talking about mere stuff. That's all it is, just material goods that somebody else gets when you're gone.

I bought more guns after 114 passed than I have in the past 10 years. 2 of them I regret as panic buys the others I have wanted for a long time. It is time to shift my attention to getting out and shooting them!

Buying stuff we don't need IS the American way. Our capitalist economy literally depends on it so the pressures to do so bombards us practically every waking moment. Stuff = happiness is the belief we are raised with. Guns, cars, electronic gadgets, clothes, shoes, yachts... there is a flavor of crack to suit every taste. What would happen if EVERYONE stopped buying stuff they don't need?

I know several Russians and people from other eastern block countries. They ALL seem to buy into our crack habit way of life shortly after moving here. I will admit I am also one of the sheep mindlessly following the flock over to the next pasture that looks greener knowing my life will be better as soon as I get there.

Last Edited:
Self realization that there might be a problem is the first step.

There are different levels to this issue. Words that come to mind are compulsion, impulse buying, opportunity.

Then there is the hoarding issue.

It's interesting that this thread has come along at this time. Lately, I've been doing a retrospective study of my gun buying history. Starting in 1965 right up to this moment. I've been pretty thorough researching my records and I'm convinced I've documented 99.9% of the various guns that I've owned in my lifetime.

What I've recorded is that I've owned 485 guns in my lifetime. Within that number, only a few were owned more than once. For me, it's been a hobby. The activity has provided me with a lot of enjoyment over the years. Never has the financial aspect interfered with the rest of my life. Most guns I've owned have been turned over in relatively short periods of time. At present, I own a total of 22 firearms. So you can see most of the 485 have gone away. Of those 22 that I still have, some have been with me for a long time, as long as since 1966. My most recent acquisition came along in 2022.

As a hobby, it's been pretty self-sustaining financially. I've seen many numbers in the "sold" column that are less than what I paid. Yet I've had some solid and occasional spectacular gains on the other hand. I haven't gone down the columns to see how I've done overall in the last 58 years. Inflation makes that a little difficult for a quick study. About four or five years ago, I did a ten year study on just gains and losses and I came out with a small surplus. But that included an era when I bought many guns new at retail. When you buy new at retail, you're bound to incur some loss. In Wash., you can figure on an automatic 10% premium just from state tax so there are different angles to consider.

One weakness that I've had is the desire to revisit a favorite firearm type that I'd previously owned and subsequently sold. I've gone down that road maybe 10 or 15 times.

Another pattern of my buying has been favorite manufacturers or designs. The lists of Smith & Wessons, Walthers, Mausers, Winchesters, Remingtons and M1 Rifles are lengthy.

Buying opportunities presented themselves when the wave of inexpensive "milsurp" firearms came into the country. I couldn't resist buying Swiss, Russian and Austrian rifles for low prices.

When I got to be an elder and started having health issues, I arrived at that self realization step. When that happened, I disposed of the majority of my holdings but kept enough to still have some entertainment from the remainder. After all, nobody lives forever and we're talking about mere stuff. That's all it is, just material goods that somebody else gets when you're gone.
My mistake has been buying without selling. That is going to be an even bigger obstacle to overcome in Measure 114 environment as there will likely be fewer buyers. I should have settled on owning 20 or so firearms at a time and then committed to selling one before buying another. That didn't happen so now I have many firearms that I've never shot once. The thrill for me is the hunt and purchase. After that they get tossed into lock up to spend most of their days in darkness.

I would like to think Measure 114 will encourage me to use what I've got since new purchases will be severely restricted. Knowing myself, it's more likely that I will start chasing parts, accessories, ammo, reloading supplies, etc instead of having fun with what I already have. The addiction is likely to the shopping but it just happens that the shopping I crave is for firearm related stuff.

My mistake has been buying without selling. That is going to be an even bigger obstacle to overcome in Measure 114 environment as there will likely be fewer buyers. I should have settled on owning 20 or so firearms at a time and then committed to selling one before buying another. That didn't happen so now I have many firearms that I've never shot once. The thrill for me is the hunt and purchase. After that they get tossed into lock up to spend most of their days in darkness.

I would like to think Measure 114 will encourage me to use what I've got since new purchases will be severely restricted. Knowing myself, it's more likely that I will start chasing parts, accessories, ammo, reloading supplies, etc instead of having fun with what I already have. The addiction is likely to the shopping but it just happens that the shopping I crave is for firearm related stuff.
20? Just 20???? C'mon man, I have nearly that many just in Glocks and Glock clones. I wouldn't be surprised if I had 70 or so serialized items. And that's after selling a dozen or so last year. I'm telling you, you could be a lot deeper in the hole. Dang, though, digging that hole is fun.

20? Just 20???? C'mon man, I have nearly that many just in Glocks and Glock clones. I wouldn't be surprised if I had 70 or so serialized items. And that's after selling a dozen or so last year. I'm telling you, you could be a lot deeper in the hole. Dang, though, digging that hole is fun.
I should have stopped at 20, unfortunately I went well beyond that. Doubt I have 70 though.

I know that there are layers and levels of addiction, but to me the term implies a person's overuse or abuse to the point that actual harm is done - finances drained, jobs lost, relationships broken, health destroyed, etc. If you're meeting your financial obligations, holding down your job, maintaining and growing your relationships, etc. then I say go buy your guns. You have one life to live, so enjoy it. But if you're delinquent on bills, putting your job in jeopardy, and damaging your relationships in your quest to acquire guns, it's probably worth pumping the brakes and reassessing your life choices.
I've seen real addictions that cause people to stop being responsible as far as going to work, paying bills and putting food on the table. It's a real sickness. And it's sad. My stepson has been battling addictions for most of his adult life. The worst part is the pain it causes his mother. :(

I think most of us, when relating to guns, are somewhat joking about being addicted. If we find ourselves in a bind, it's usually pretty easy to turn guns back into money, even if it's a loss, not a profit. We do what we have to do to make ends meet. I've been thru the swing from one hobby to another. At one point about 12 years ago I wanted to dig up money to put a car together. I sold a lot of guns, most on the profit side, to dig up money for the project. It was my 65 Mustang that had been stagnant for over 20 years. I have the car and the guns sold are barely missed, if missed at all. I don't even think about what I did when I drive or race that car.

I have seen and even felt the thrill of getting new things. There's no doubt about the giddiness when one finds and and buys something new. It's a cool feeling. It just may be painful paying that Visa bill at the end of the month! If you think guns are expensive, start funding a racecar.

It is mission difficult to ignore the trend towards affordable guns while eggs become the next TP like unobtainable item at the grocery store. Inflation is eating into our normal discretionary budgets to the extreme in many cases.

2022 was harsh on the budget and still there were amazing firearm deals to be found.

Just when I am successful in suppressing the "want" of a new firearm, I'm exposed to some new and relatively affordable Optic or at least one with amazing features you have to have.

The new Steiner Predator series for instance has 8X magnification with low light capable glass. You can now get a 4-32 x scope you can actually see through. Zoom in on the target then zoom out to keep recoil on your bigger calibers from knocking you off the target for the next followup shot. Or at least that is what my little voice keeps telling me...

Another trend that affects many of us is the availability of reloading supplies has started to ease up triggering our need to acquire more bullets, primers, and powders. Lately it seems you spend more on the supplies than the gun itself. Varget powder has been seen on store shelves lately. We usually want what we could not have...

The real question is,
"What are you willing to sacrifice or reduce to be able to get another gun, optic, or components?"

I've tried to cut out as many "convenience at a price" items so no bags of ready to make salad or delivered food.
Sounds simple but if you have a Starbucks habit, you know it is hard to quit. Starts with making your own coffee at home, then your lunch etc.

Where I'll fail is when someone other than Hi Point offers a 10mm carbine that takes Glock mags. I'll probably have to get hypno-therapy to say no to that. :)

Since new toys seem to be put on hold I decided to make the best of what I've got. Mantis X 10 and the Blackbeard, blitzkrieg components tritium sites, radian safety and charging handle, Larue trigger, exps3, upgraded trigger springs, and some repair kits for high wear parts. I'm just kind of going through them one at a time and upgrading things with what I feel are the best components I can afford.

I don't know how many guns you own but I'd wager your real addiction is your need for constant attention and blind social engagement as witnessed by your voluminous new posts here on this forum. Put down the phone and your life will become more meaningful overnight.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top