JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've been addicted to buying guns for thirty years. I don't think it's a problem but all of my ex -wives did. Oh well !

1677269988474.jpeg

I have been on a gun buying binge since just before the election. I have justified this recent binge by convincing myself that I won't be able to purchase any more firearms through FFLs if Measure 114 restrictions go into effect. I believe an outsider looking in on my purchases would think I am addicted.

Has anybody else here felt the need to curb their firearm shopping habits? If so how did you do it?

Edit:

I am thinking about turning over my bank accounts to my wife and taking a small cash allowance every other week. The allowance would only be enough to cover personal expenses (food, fuel, etc). If I really needed something firearm related I would have to sell or trade something I already have. I have so much firearm related crap on hand, I shouldn't need anything for a long while.

I was saving up for a new car but those savings are gone. I haven't contributed any funds to my IRA in a long time. And I ran up another $2800 on a CC balance. I have paid cash for nearly every firearm I have bought in the last couple of months. But, I have used the CC to purchase stuff I would have normally used the debit card for.

I need to start using cash only. I find I spend more when I buy stuff with a card.

The wife is going to be disappointed.
Little late to lend my $0.02 to this, but I never felt the need to curb my firearm shopping habits. I purchase firearms for specific purposes. I'm not a collector. If I don't or won't use it, and it has no realistic purpose, then I don't want it. My firearm purchases were a close quarters rifle, an intermediate rifle, a long-distance rifle, a duty pistol, and a concealed carry pistol. My only firearms expenses since have been ammunition, replacement parts (BCGs, springs, magazines, etc.), accessories, nylon kit, and targets.

I purchase these items as responsibly as I can, with a focus on quality rather than quantity. There was a firearm purchased with the passage of Measure 114, an intermediate rifle for my wife, on credit as I was not sure that I would have the opportunity to attain it later. It was quickly paid off.

You mentioned being married. If you are racking up debt on your firearms purchases, and those firearms purchases are not necessary, then you are failing your duties as a husband. Sounds like you have more than enough firearms at present to keep you and yours safe. You can seriously damage a marriage through financial irresponsibility. Focus on your family and enjoy the firearms you currently have.

I don't know if you're a religious man, but 1 Timothy 5:8 tends to come to mind. It helps to keep me focused on my family when I'm faced with things I desire rather than need.

Makes it a little harder to buy things nowadays when nobody is buying your stuff. I don't know about you guys, but I don't have unlimited space to store guns. My Gunbroker listings just sit there for months. Lots of watchers, and no buyers. Even two years ago selling guns online was easy. I think people are feeling the pinch $$$
I haven't tried selling anything for a quite a while but I have observed a lot of ads linger with seemingly little interest even after numerous price drops by sellers. I have picked up a number of firearm "deals" that way but if it is "useless junk", did I really get a good deal?

I agree people are feeling the pinch, buyer burnout, nervousness about where the economy might be going, etc.

I am feeling the nervousness myself which is partly why I am contemplating this whole addiction idea and debt repayment.

Edit: The threat of Measure 114 permit to purchase requirement (which I will refuse to participate in) lit a fire under me to add to my collection. It will be very difficult to acquire new to me firearms if that permit requirement takes effect. Did I need anymore firearms? No. Did I get caught up in the panic buying that has ensued since passage of Measure 114? Yep, big time. Will I regret all the purchases I made? Maybe if Measure 114 is tossed out permanently. But if the pemit to purchase restrictions do go into effect I will be happy with all the purchases I made, even the $80 Hi Point C9.

Last Edited:
Define "addiction".....:p
I don't beg borrow or steal to satisfy my desire for the next firearm or blade, but I can sure become obsessed thinking about the Object Of Desire! Even when I determine to thin the herd... it just makes room for something else.. Of late it's more run to bladed objects than to firearms, but still...

Last Edited:
Little late to lend my $0.02 to this, but I never felt the need to curb my firearm shopping habits. I purchase firearms for specific purposes. I'm not a collector. If I don't or won't use it, and it has no realistic purpose, then I don't want it. My firearm purchases were a close quarters rifle, an intermediate rifle, a long-distance rifle, a duty pistol, and a concealed carry pistol. My only firearms expenses since have been ammunition, replacement parts (BCGs, springs, magazines, etc.), accessories, nylon kit, and targets.

I purchase these items as responsibly as I can, with a focus on quality rather than quantity. There was a firearm purchased with the passage of Measure 114, an intermediate rifle for my wife, on credit as I was not sure that I would have the opportunity to attain it later. It was quickly paid off.

You mentioned being married. If you are racking up debt on your firearms purchases, and those firearms purchases are not necessary, then you are failing your duties as a husband. Sounds like you have more than enough firearms at present to keep you and yours safe. You can seriously damage a marriage through financial irresponsibility. Focus on your family and enjoy the firearms you currently have.

I don't know if you're a religious man, but 1 Timothy 5:8 tends to come to mind. It helps to keep me focused on my family when I'm faced with things I desire rather than need.
ONE of the reasons I generally avoided marriage, most of the time.

The short answer "lifelong"
Got my first rifle at 14 (I still have it)
Started buying when I could at 22 (I had firearms acquired through inheritance in between and time in the Navy) since then I have bought traded for or sold constantly.

I've slowed down some as things have ah piled up but I still have a small want list.

After watching this video, I gave some thought as to what my unresolved fear may be. I think I fear not having wealth. I am constantly bombarded with the idea that wealth is necessary to live a happy and free life. I grew up poor and having a lot of items around me gives me a sense of wealth. Frequently shopping also makes me feel wealthier. Unfortunately, I don't get the same feeling saving fiat money electronically in financial institutions.

I think the solution may be to deprioritize the importance of wealth in my life. I could try to free myself from the idea that money is important to happiness and freedom. I could put in more effort to detach myself from the consumerism that I feel enslaved to.

Define "addiction".....:p
I don't beg borrow or steal to satisfy my desire for the next firearm or blade, but I can sure become obsessed thinking about the Object Of Desire! Even when I determine to thin the herd... it just makes room for something else.. Of late it's more run to bladed objects than to firearms, but still...
As I read this post I became aware of a fact. I've owned knives longer than I have guns, but very much unlike guns, I've never sold a knife. If I didn't lose it or give it away, I still have it. Somewhere... :D

For me personally, it was a lot of fun to upgrade my collection of firearms, but that slowed down when the State of Oregon prohibited private sales in 2015

Last Edited:
With some addictions, like alcohol, drugs or gambling you can cut them out completely and that may make it easier to stay free of the addiction. Shopping is more like an addiction to food. You can't really cut it out completely so you are constantly exposed to the behavior that has become an addiction. I guess you could hire somebody to do all your shopping, stay out of stores and stay off the internet but that really isn't practical for most people.

I am not sure what the solution is but spending money on unnecessary "bargains" has been a life long problem for me and doesn't apply just to shopping for firearm stuff. I have wasted tons of money on cars during the first couple of decades of my adult life. Then there was a decade of pouring money into the cabin property. Looking back on it, I wished I would have put all that money into Apple stock or Bitcoin. I would be buying whatever firearms I wanted right now without concern about price.
Have you considered taking a break from technology in general? More specifically, the internet?

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top