JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I used to be addicted to buying guns but not anymore. I have all I need/ want at this point. I have been consolidating for the most part recently. I have one more gun I may sell and I'll perfect in my mind. I recently retired so my funding has dropped off significantly so it's worked out.

Now if I see a nice Colt 1911 I may change my tune. ;)

I'm not all hung up on money, so getting a "deal" doesn't bring me any rush or warm feelings. I take more enjoyment on helping friends, being debt free with little to no financial stress and not trying to keep up with the Jones's.

Im definitely not going to pass up on a deal on something that I like or am interested in, especially if it is a deal of the century.

Worse comes to worst, you sell and get your money back.

Sadly my gun "addiction" have developed some very expensive tastes. So now I am in the same boat as strictly trading/selling for new stuff.

Delayed Gratification may be the answer. If I delay my future firearm purchases until I am 65 and instead invest those dollars between now and then, I might have $1.50 for every dollar I saved. That is 50% more I could spend on firearms when I turn 65. I may not be able to see what I am shooting at but 50% more to spend.

Screenshot_20230223-230200.png

Delayed Gratification may be the answer. If I delay my future firearm purchases until I am 65 and instead invest those dollars between now and then, I might have $1.50 for every dollar I saved. That is 50% more I could spend on firearms when I turn 65. I may not be able to see what I am shooting at but 50% more to spend.

View attachment 1371814
Yeah, but if you die at 66, was it worth it?

Yeah, but if you die at 66, was it worth it?
Very good point. Delayed Gratification means that you will have less of it since we have finite lifespans.

Of course you have inflation to consider as well. Sure I will have 50% more to spend when I am 65 but will that buy me 50% more firearms? Probably not.

If you apply a value to time of ownership, delayed gratification may seem even less attractive.

Why you all hating on Delayed Gratification;)

Another solution might be to get start trading instead of purchasing. Even if I were to get the short end of the stick each trade, it would still curtail the spending by a significant amount. I have done a few trades but didn't get the same enjoyment as shopping for a purchase. I see a lot of other members doing it, so maybe I will give it another try.

I like finding a good deal as much as anyone, it just needs to be something I actually need. A good deal on useless junk is a waste of money.

I'm actually thinning out and reorganizing my stuff. I'm getting rid of stuff I'll never use and using the money to purchase things that I will. I am streamlining my reloading to one, maybe two loads per cartridge and selling off all the excess components.

All my stuff needs to have a purpose and a use. I can't stand clutter. If you don't use your guns and just want to be a collector, that's fine. You just need to have the discipline to keep your collection from becoming a hoard and have the discipline to only use disposable income to expand your collection.

Last Edited:
Another solution might be to get start trading instead of purchasing. Even if I were to get the short end of the stick each trade, it would still curtail the spending by a significant amount. I have done a few trades but didn't get the same enjoyment as shopping for a purchase. I see a lot of other members doing it, so maybe I will give it another try.
The last two guns I've acquired have come via the trade route. In both cases, I wasn't actively looking to trade but had guns someone else wanted that were living the safe queen lifestyle in my house. I'm really excited about both of my new acquisitions, and they have been shot much more than all of my other guns combined over the past six months. There's no reason to get the short end of the stick either. I felt like both of my trades were good deals for both parties and hope the folks I traded with feel the same.

Makes it a little harder to buy things nowadays when nobody is buying your stuff. I don't know about you guys, but I don't have unlimited space to store guns. My Gunbroker listings just sit there for months. Lots of watchers, and no buyers. Even two years ago selling guns online was easy. I think people are feeling the pinch $$$

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top