JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I had forgotten just how nasty a crack the .223 makes until I forgot my plugs one day at the range.

After about a dozen "Booms" out of my .458S, I got out my "poor man's varmint rifle", but one shot
was enough. OUCH!!:s0077:

Jack...:cool:

PS. All I have is AR's

I was at the range today and switched out with my buddy to spot shots for him. Thought I could flip my ball cap backwards quick enough before someone fired! Not, and I still had my old military jet plugs in but was trying to get my mouse ears back over my ears, OUCH.

brutus out

I've been at the range next to hand cannons of some ear bursting caliber that my ear plugs wouldn't handle. Had to move away or go deaf. I can't imagine plinking with my Mini or even my 9mm without protection. Years of metal fab work and forgetting to wear plugs here and there have done enough damage. I want to keep what I still have.

You're right...Big Bucks and they recommended I not wear them under my muffs.

Actually, I almost lost one when it hung up in a muff pad.

I take 'em out, turn 'em off and put on my muffs for pistol, plugs for rifle.

Jack...:cool:

How do you not have time for ear protection?

Sometimes there are predators and varmints of opportunity. Often that means as fast as you can grab a gun they are running off. Yes once in a while I have time for some ear muffs but its the exception not the norm.

While not at work I shoot 100% suppressed with plugs.

For me. I settled on a mini30 and couldn't be happier. I use a rifle for work and never have time for ear protection. So that pretty much rules the 223/5.56 out. Tried it once and decided I would be losing significant hearing if I kept it up. So I tried the 300blk and it was ok, but still wasn't quite right. I then tried a ruger mini30 and it was perfect. Had enough power for effective kills, and was relitively quite.
I have a ranch model with a 1.5-5 Leupold and have never shot a group at 100yds with it so I don't know how accurate it is. I do know that it is accurate enough to hit everything I point it at.

What do you work at?

For me. I settled on a mini30 and couldn't be happier. I use a rifle for work and never have time for ear protection. So that pretty much rules the 223/5.56 out. Tried it once and decided I would be losing significant hearing if I kept it up. So I tried the 300blk and it was ok, but still wasn't quite right. I then tried a ruger mini30 and it was perfect. Had enough power for effective kills, and was relitively quite.
I have a ranch model with a 1.5-5 Leupold and have never shot a group at 100yds with it so I don't know how accurate it is. I do know that it is accurate enough to hit everything I point it at.

Please tell us all what work you do that you don't have time for ear protection.

Cause I'd buy that from a guy in the line who's hearing hasn't been damaged too much who is looking at his *** being shot off vs. protecting his hearing.

But I would LOVE to hear about your civilian job where hearing protection doesn't count.

Please, enlighten us. Cause the guys on Swat teams? including the couple i've talked to on the FBI HRT team use hearing protection of some sort except in VERY specific situations.

But clearly, you're a lot more high-speed, low-drag than them. Let's hear it.

The Minis accuracy problem is due to several things, all of which can be addressed
#1 The Op Rod is far too heavy, heavier than an m-14's, it slams back and forth with each shot setting up barrel vibrations that ruin accuracy shot to shot, especially in older models.
Fix: install 1911 plastic recoil buffers in front of gas piston and at rear of recoil spring. Install reduced gas port bushing. shorten barrel and add heavy MB to increase barrel stiffness
#2 The system is over gassed causing increased recoil and exuberant ejection of empty brass.
Fix: reduced gas bushing
#3 Wandering zero, oversize groups.
Fix: all the above plus a trigger job and glass bed the for end at the gas block.
Additionally Loctite scope rings

Please tell us all what work you do that you don't have time for ear protection.

Cause I'd buy that from a guy in the line who's hearing hasn't been damaged too much who is looking at his *** being shot off vs. protecting his hearing.

But I would LOVE to hear about your civilian job where hearing protection doesn't count.

Please, enlighten us. Cause the guys on Swat teams? including the couple i've talked to on the FBI HRT team use hearing protection of some sort except in VERY specific situations.
But clearly, you're a lot more high-speed, low-drag than them. Let's hear it.

I don't really want to get specific about where I work. But I live in the sticks and would say its a cross between the guy who patrols timberland from blackbear and the farmer who has to deal with coyotes after livestock. And sometimes both.

I'm about as low speed and high drag as they get though.

Edit:
Yes I have thought about using a supressor at work, but I think it would be to much of a liability from theft if I have to leave it in a work rig.

Yes a pair of ear plugs at the biggining of the day would work if I didn't have to communicate with logging trucks on the radio.

Jbuck you should look into a suppressor/silencer. That and the cost of the tax stamp should be a business write off since it sounds work related. Or maybe some nice electronic muffs.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top