JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
How do you measure your hunting rifles accuracy?
Do you use your best/smallest group, or do you use your average group size?

Do you "really" have a 1moa hunting rifle....?

Last Edited:
If I can still consistently hit you in the eye after a full day of shooting a "few" rounds all day……. you won't know if my rifle is >MOA.

;) ;)

IMG_1341.jpeg

I have a Rem 700 that I spent too much money upgrading and that will do holes touching at 200 yards. However, not the entire group, and not "all day".

Always tricky to assess accuracy because of wind, ammo quality, and the human element. I sure would never send a bbl (or complete firearm) back under a sub-MOA "warranty". The mfg. is going to win that argument every time. That is a rigged game IMO.

Last Edited:
I don't measure hunting rifle groups. I don't hunt off a bench at a known distance. I can tell it's a good load by looking at the holes in the paper but beyond that I want the group to cluster right around the cross hairs at whatever range I shoot at. Zeroing is much more valuble to me at the range than gantz-azz groups.

Did you hit your target where you wanted to..?
Did you hit your game animal , with a good clean hit , that made for a quick kill...?
If so...then you and your rifle are plenty accurate.

Just what is accuracy...?
That answer will vary with every shooter and what / why they are shooting.

Someone shooting a rifle in a High Powered Rifle Match might have a different answer than a hunter needing to hit the vitals of a game animal.

Speaking as a guy who enjoys shooting at clay birds , left over clay bird bits , spent shotgun shells , flower heads....
And other small leftover debris at the local shooting pit...I am happy with my level of accuracy with my rifles.

Shooting accurately consistently is important...not just counting that "One time when..."
How accurate can you shoot when you are off the bench and not in a controlled area like a rifle range , may be something to consider...
Especially if you are a hunter or casual plinker.

Just how accurate do you really need to be...?
Are you getting the results you want..?
If so....
Chasing that MOA or someone else's idea of what is accuracy is wasted time , in my opinion.
Andy

Did you hit your target where you wanted to..?
Did you hit your game animal , with a good clean hit , that made for a quick kill...?
If so...then you and your rifle are plenty accurate.

Just what is accuracy...?
That answer will vary with every shooter and what / why they are shooting.

Someone shooting a rifle in a High Powered Rifle Match might have a different answer than a hunter needing to hit the vitals of a game animal.

Speaking as a guy who enjoys shooting at clay birds , left over clay bird bits , spent shotgun shells , flower heads....
And other small leftover debris at the local shooting pit...I am happy with my level of accuracy with my rifles.

Shooting accurately consistently is important...not just counting that "One time when..."
How accurate can you shoot when you are off the bench and not in a controlled area like a rifle range , may be something to consider...
Especially if you are a hunter or casual plinker.

Just how accurate do you really need to be...?
Are you getting the results you want..?
If so....
Chasing that MOA or someone else's idea of what is accuracy is wasted time , in my opinion.
Andy
A hit is a hit, is a hit is a hit….

Measuring your group sizes on a day with perfect conditions, on the bench, locked in a sled, will show you what your rifle is capable of. That's the number I use when I talk about how accurate the rifle is.

Under any other conditions, that's how accurate I am, with that rifle, under those conditions.

So in conversation, I try to differentiate between the mechanical repeatability of the rifle and my ability to match that performance in less ideal conditions.

As for the average vs best, I kind of waffle between them depending on conditions. If I know my "best" group was on a perfect day, I don't mind calling it good there. Other rifles seem to magically bring wind with them every time they go out, so I roughly average those groups.

Last Edited:
The other thing is 99.9% of hunting shots are done with a cold, clean bore so any data gathered after that is moot.
Except some of those hunting shows on TV. Those dudes often have a pile of brass at their feet as the animal walks away (or limps off). :( Of course, if the animal is down, they re-enact it, so it looks like a one-shot kill. :rolleyes:

What I can do, and what my rifle is capable of, are two different things. As a hunter, I'm satisfied as a good shot, as a target shooter, not so much. As a shooter between seasons, I have fun, lots of it, 1moa or not.

I always try to make my next shot better than my last shot...that is good enough for me.

A hit is a hit, is a hit is a hit….
True...especially on our club's trail walk.
20 or so steel gongs of various sizes and various distances...25 -100 yards.
Any hit will do...:D

However...also on the same trail walk is a paper target that will get scored by points...so a tight group is nice.
Not to forget to mention the splitting the playing card edgewise shot...or tie breaker shot of hitting , or coming closest to the bull , which is the size of a nickle.

Any of the above shows accuracy...some of the shots however require a different kind of accuracy.
All shooting on this trail walk is off hand as well.
Andy

I just thought that video was interesting on two fronts. 1 the bogus marketing claim of a 1moa hunting rifle, challenge that and you will always lose. Its a hoax.
2 hits more home for me, the video confirmed my own self discovery. I remember the first time I shot sub moa with my hunting rifle and my handloads and felt like i finally hit some milestone of skill. But it didnt take long to learn repeating that every single time was yet another rabbit hole. I realised my average moa was more useful, because its more realistic, and more ethical when hunting.

All my big game rifles have enough inherent accuracy to cleanly take game out to the ranges I am comfortable shooting at game. Most will print around 1" for a three shot group on paper from a bench at 100yds. Some a little better than 1" and some a little worse. Even a 2" moa rifle should be adequate out to 400 or so.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top