JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You probably know this already, but the tight group was accuracy. Splitting the playing card was more about precision. Accuracy is how close the shots are to each other. Precision is how close they are to point of aim.

And not aimed at you &E but please people, never say "One inch MOA". :s0118:
As long as you stop saying "I could care less"…….

How much less could you care than you currently do? :s0153: :s0092:

You probably know this already, but the tight group was accuracy. Splitting the playing card was more about precision. Accuracy is how close the shots are to each other. Precision is how close they are to point of aim.

Funny anecdote- some years back there was a discussion at the range about accuracy and minute-of-angle, and one guy opined how it really wasn't hard to shoot moa; he did it all the time. As the discussion progressed and particulars came out, it turned out he thought moa just meant a one inch group or better, at any distance. He shot one inch groups at ten or twenty five yards, so that was "moa"! o_O

How about "3.6 inch MIL"?

:D

My own hunting rifle groups are only cold bore. So with an hour between shots, it takes "All Day" to shoot a group! DR
Ha, Ive tried that and got bored waiting.
One thing I considered was that if I took a shot at game, and on the rare occasion another shot is needed... my bore wouldnt be cold anymore.
I found that even with my pencil thin barrel I could get 2 sometimes 3 shots in a group before the heat walked the next shot usually up a tiny bit.

The club doesn't let you bring more than one gun? That's messed up.
no, I cant use more than one lane/bench. I could switch rifles if I put up enough targets on the stand.
Im just saying I havent needed to wait an hour to cool the barrel, I tried it but found my group doesnt walk until the 3rd or 4th shot. I usually wait 5-10 min between shots + chamber chiller.
After my initial zero, I go back to the range/woods a few more times and the cold bore shot is always zero so I stop fine tuning the dial after that or Im just chasing my tail.

no, I cant use more than one lane/bench. I could switch rifles if I put up enough targets on the stand.
Im just saying I havent needed to wait an hour to cool the barrel, I tried it but found my group doesnt walk until the 3rd or 4th shot. I usually wait 5-10 min between shots + chamber chiller.
After my initial zero, I go back to the range/woods a few more times and the cold bore shot is always zero so I stop fine tuning the dial after that or Im just chasing my tail.
Makes sense.

The benefits (and purposes) of bench work are not limited to chasing the holy grail of MOA. With many variables removed, shots from the bench allow concentration on root fundamentals such as breathing, trigger engagement, sight picture, etc. Immediately available repetition of these fundamentals magnifies their entrenchment in the mindset toward the later shot taken in the field. In that sense, bench work IS valuable practice for hunting shots, and the hunter who ignores that benefit will be more puzzled by a miss in the field than the guy who's spent serious time disciplining mind and body to automatic repetition of basic shooting techniques.

Practice from reliable field positions that assist on-target consistency (prone and sitting) will be frustrating if the shooter has not ingrained fundamentals cultivated on the bench. Less reliable field positions (kneeling and standing) become nearly useless unless the basics are fully engaged every single time without thought.

Quirks and idiosyncrasies of the gun itself are more easily discovered on the bench as well. Mechanics of the action and trigger become items of focus, and the shooter learns favorable magazine loading techniques, interaction with the trigger, bolt operation and other details particular to that gun.

Bench work can never teach a shooter/hunter to end up on one's butt, sling wrapped, knees up, sight picture established and safety off inside of 5 seconds. It also cannot ever teach a hunter that the standing and kneeling positions should NEVER be employed toward game when sitting or prone can be achieved. It cannot teach a hunter that a rifle slung on the shoulder while actively hunting is the greatest obstacle toward a successful shot on game..

But bench work goes far toward establishing faith and trust in the equipment itself, and perhaps best (or worst) of all, it eliminates any excuse for a missed shot which involves that equipment.:cool:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top