JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have not fired an AR15/M16 since the miltary many, many years ago. Old A1 version. I loved the carryability, light weight, and accuracy. However our old ones jammed constantly. If the reliabilty has been improved, which I hear has happened, it would be a fine combat rifle. BTW they are very, very easy to take down for cleaning.

If you're hella old and are talking about the the original Army-issue XM15E1s or Air Force-issue M16s, then yes... they had some serious problems. Most were due to bad powder in the brand-new 5.56 load, but lots more were due to an unrefined design. When the first order was made, they were ordered as-is, civilian sport rifles, mostly untested, unmodified for military use. After putting them to use, they realized the ammo was no bueno, first of all, and that some modifications were going to be needed to produce a legitimate fighting weapon. Once those modifications were made- hotter ammo, chrome-lined chambers/bores, buffer, forward assist, faster twist rate, etc.... Thus, the M16A1 was born, and it's been a very reliable, very accurate, very lethal platform ever since. They've been peripherally reconfigured a few times since, but the major mechanics remain almost identical to this day.

Liberal application of lube and lots of ammo.... all they need to stay happy.

I started with a Mini-14 and later switched to the AR15.

The AR15 is a lot more accurate. Has more fun accessories to play with and parts are available in case something breaks. Magazines are cheaper too.

Aloha, Mark

My 580 series ranch is plenty accurate for my needs. Can hit cans, balloons etc. out to 200 yds all day and under 2" groups @100 yds fairly easily. Plus it's nice to have something different than everybody else. This loudness thing may be true though. I would like to see some sort of test. Is it just louder for the shooter because it doesn't eject on the side I wonder or is it louder 50 yds away than an AR or AK? Anyway I trust my mini as my all around SHTF rifle. Parts?, Survival situation? If your AR needs something your going to have to get another AR to cannibalize from. Most likely it will be a functional gun in it's own right. Would you bother switching parts or just take the newly acquired AR? If my mini fails I'm going to get the first weapon I can lay my hands on to replace it I'm figuring so I don't worry too much about that. If I was trying to get an Army together then I get the point about parts interchangability.

I have owned 2 different Ranch Rifles mini-14's. Talk about positive extraction!!! OMG I have never seen anything throw brass
like a Ranch Rifle.

That is an understatement. If you reload, good luck finding the brass.
The report is painful on the Mini14.
I had one of the older pencil barrels, hated it.
A few years later I bought a heavy barrel and it didn't do any better.
A 12-00 buck did better.
I have this thing about keeping 10 rds inside an inch and a half at a hundred.
I had a Colt HBar that did that easily and a SR556 that will put the colt to shame.
It will take the whiskers of a rat at 300.
Stick with the AR and a good match grade barrel.
You will love the results vs a mini.
I had shot my ears out in the Marine Corps, but that last Mini finished them off for good.
Now, thanks to the VA I have hearing aids, but that last trip home was the final straw.
It was a totally silent ride, and it never came back.
The Corps rifle team did the first 80% the Mini finalized it. The muzzle blast from those is horrendous.
They do function well and never fail, just like the garrand and M-14, but if you can't hit anything what good are they.
If you wanted to spend a bunch reworking one maybe, but that still doesn't fix the 50 foot brass toss or the muzzle blast.

The solution to the ejection issue with the mini is the tuneable gas block. Gas port bushings can be purchased that allow larger or smaller porting which can be changed. Brownell offers a fairly easy do it yourself kit. I have several of both the AR's and Mini's including the 30. The newer design of the tapered barrels have improved greatly the accuracy over the old pencil barrels.

Its to each their own which camp one falls into, but for rugged rock solid reliability the Mini is truly hard to beat. While one may never be able to hit dimes at 200 meters with the factory Mini, I dare say I believe the same can also be said for most, if not all "factory" iron sighted AR's. If one wishes to purchase "target" editions of either, both are offered. One preference the I have though is the factory lines of the Mini 14 and 30's. I just feel they take on a ugly look in a collapsible aftermarket dress, but that's just me I guess. Either way, I enjoy all the Minis and AR's I have,,, but that noise factor? Well that's another issue entirely.

When someone asks if I'm happy about accuracy of any rifle I pull the target, hold it up to my chest and say "nope, no problem". Of course It's cool to shoot a tiny group, if you are a competetive target shooter or varmit hunter, but in most other cases a 3" or 4" group will still get the "job" done.

Seems to me too much emphasis is placed on group size, every doofus out there wants to be a sniper.

Seems to me too much emphasis is placed on group size, every doofus out there wants to be a sniper.

Slightly off topic, but its really fun watching some of these guys trying to sight in their rifles with their buddies:

First shot. "You were three inches high, one inch to the right"

Adjusts scope.

Second shot. "You were two inches low, two inches to the left."

Adjusts scope.

Third shot. "You were one inch high, four inches to the left."

Two hours and many rounds of ammo later and they are no closer to being 'sighted in' than they were when they started. (Nor do I ever add my $0.02 worth to this process unless asked.)

Keith

AR over a Mini 14 any day. I love shooting my 14, but AR's are a lot more fun. They are easy to clean and very accurate. OEM and aftermarket parts are plentiful and easy to for the novice to install.

Mini-14 accuracy is measured in "minute of berm." -Nuff said.

I have 2 ARs
I have 2 old mini's that would not shoot, after $150 in improvements the 223 groups 2MOA with bulk ammo from a rest. I never have to worry about FTF or FTE, it is far more ambidextrous than an AR and if needed I can rack the op-rod to EASILY clear a malfunction. Compared to an AR the Mini is dirt proof, they are not hard to clean.
The 500 series of Mini is more accurate then the old model I would love a SS Tactical Mini in 762
My mini's feature all the After Mkt parts I need, folding stock, P-Rails, PGs FPGs MBs

The solution to the ejection issue with the mini is the tuneable gas block. Gas port bushings can be purchased that allow larger or smaller porting which can be changed. Brownell offers a fairly easy do it yourself kit. I have several of both the AR's and Mini's including the 30..

That would be a great mod. Even the M-14's I have had didn't kick the brass out that far.

Slightly off topic, but its really fun watching some of these guys trying to sight in their rifles with their buddies:

First shot. "You were three inches high, one inch to the right"

Adjusts scope.

Second shot. "You were two inches low, two inches to the left."

Adjusts scope.

Third shot. "You were one inch high, four inches to the left."

Two hours and many rounds of ammo later and they are no closer to being 'sighted in' than they were when they started. (Nor do I ever add my $0.02 worth to this process unless asked.)

Keith

You just described the Mini to a T.
I have a hunch the barrel band, fit to wood and the heat, all contribute. Maybe with a bit of work and stock fix they might be usable.
I still can't get past that muzzle blast though. Its noisier than a 7.62 NATO round in the M14. THE AR is much more pleasant to shoot. Maybe I am prejudice a little because the last one I had took the last of my hearing when I shooting up in the cascades. Forgot the hearing protection but shot up about 60 rds and had a dead silent trip home. It never came back that time.

Mini-14 accuracy is measured in "minute of berm." -Nuff said.

Shot any of the new editions lately? You just may change your mind. As to the post from Simon, Simon, on the contrary This self-cleaning system vents unburned powder keeping the system clean and running without a hitch. This is a tremendous advantage over the AR-15 gas impingement system, which vents spent powder residues and gases directly into the receiver. This is why gas piston systems are now the rage in AR's.

Again, to each their own. I happen to truly enjoy all my rifles, be they Minis, AR's Galils AK's whichever. Every one I own will do under 2MOA @ 100 meters with iron sights rested (except the AK), and that's good enough for what I need to do with them. If I need to play Johnny sniper, I have units capable of doing that, they shoot far better than I can. Some folks still hold it against Ruger for a stance he took, that's a shame as the mini 14 and 30 are based on one of the finest battle rifles ever carried, test drive one of the new models today, you may be pleasantly surprised. Besides, if you ever do run out of ammo, the mini makes a far better club than any AR!

My mini can shoot 556 or 223 steel or brass is that true of all AR 15s ? Also are they that interchangeable with all the many different types out there nowdays?
I shot an M16 in the Army in the 80s so I know nothing about todays ARs. Back then my M16 was a JAMOMATIC for sure but it was also a wore out P.O.S..

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top