JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Not for me.

I'd rather (now) go birding.

Hunting/Fishing/Scuba Diving/Hiking/Biking/Inline Skating and on and on are a thing of the past.

Too beat up to pursue those things any longer..., but playing games on a computer is something utterly foreign to me.

Posting my inane thoughts here are the most nerdy things I do.

I gave up and caved on 10 since all the newer hardware requires it unfortunately, plus the work PC had it so I got to tinker with it. I do miss 7 tho and mostly XP that was THE best one.
I still have an XP machine that is disconnected from the internet. I purchsed it with a wammerdine HP Deskjet that I would never have to replace, except Windows 7 doesn't support all of the tools that came with the printer. Basically, the XP machine runs the printer:D

Done, but if you're gonna ask me what it is I don't remember and it'll take some time to dig that up. :)
Please do. No rush, but it would take away some anxiety around Windows 10. You should have seen what I could do on a Commadore 64 or 128, and I was a wiz at DOS. As computers became more complicated, I lost interest except when knowing how to buy/have built the best/fastest machines. My computers always lasted longer than the 4 years that they recommend by buying the best. I even had USB ports on my XP machine that wouldn't support them. Oh well.:(

Please do. No rush, but it would take away some anxiety around Windows 10. You should have seen what I could do on a Commadore 64 or 128, and I was a wiz at DOS. As computers became more complicated, I lost interest except when knowing how to buy/have built the best/fastest machines. My computers always lasted longer than the 4 years that they recommend by buying the best. I even had USB ports on my XP machine that wouldn't support them. Oh well.:(
It's called "GWX Control Panel." Dunno if it's still available, most stuff I like disappears fast.

12MP color medical diagnostic display in my home office
20191011_094251.jpg

I wish I knew what vid games would play on the windows 10 I was forced to buy when my Win 7 computers mother board died. This HP, whatever, says "gaming computer" but it won't play the game I liked to play, Bioshock 1 and 2, from what I read. With out doing a bunch of stuff I don't understand.

Wanna be more nerdy, but not smart enough. :( I tried to load, I think the original, Call of Duty on this new puter and it didn't work.

Get Steam and download it through them. I'm replaying Pharaoh which required XP and a whopping 32MB of RAM to play. I'm not sure how they do it, but downloading from Steam solves a lot of backwards compatibility issues.

I've watched thousands and thousands of hours of anime.... Played some D&D in college. Been messing with technology since 1990.

And I do speak Python and Linux.

I spend a lot less time with all that now adays. And it's more fun to send rounds down range or escape into VR...

Nice to know there are other guys like me on here though. :)

I still have an XP machine that is disconnected from the internet. I purchsed it with a wammerdine HP Deskjet that I would never have to replace, except Windows 7 doesn't support all of the tools that came with the printer. Basically, the XP machine runs the printer:D

Wish I could say the same at work. seems we've ran through systems since we upgraded to W10.

We used to have everything on W7 systems but were forced to comply. I have tried suggesting some hardware/settings but they keep handing us the crappy pre-built dells with outdated hardware for our software that requires a little umpf under the hood to run them all simultaneously. The other problem, nobody before me bothered to open them up and dust them out. We had a couple fry because of that. Few got viruses some how even though I had installed things to reduce the likely hood in browsers plus safe practice, though our IT department installed a crappier removal tool and had me run it but didn't do anything other than point out the problem which we reported but never got closure if they had removed and fixed it remotely. Still has issues to this day that i've tried to follow up on.

I feel sorry for our work machines tbh. Much the same i've tried suggesting getting off Dell/Intel and going with AMD builds for our current workbench needs. Asked the same of all the servers in the data hall running Intel after all the vulnerabilities found with patched updates affecting performance, just got the direct around response.

I wish I knew what vid games would play on the windows 10 I was forced to buy when my Win 7 computers mother board died. This HP, whatever, says "gaming computer" but it won't play the game I liked to play, Bioshock 1 and 2, from what I read. With out doing a bunch of stuff I don't understand.

Wanna be more nerdy, but not smart enough. :( I tried to load, I think the original, Call of Duty on this new puter and it didn't work.

Part of the problem can be compatibility between OS revisions. Most were made on Win7 without much though of newer OS and newer hardware, usually why newer things like Steam/Epic/GoG etc update the code to comply with the new OS so it'll play nicely. All the user has to do on their end is either get it from one of these platforms or find a compatibility mod online to fix it. Most if not all games will have a marker indicating what OS it'll work on along with minimum/recommended system specs to have on your end, simple google search of whatever title will inform you of such too.

If you are unsure how to do this, whatever error it gives you you can look up online or use other forums which have answers on how to fix it. Also double check that your hardware can handle said games as well as having all your drivers updated. There are quite a few factors going into system builds depending on task you plan on doing with it, i.e - pure work builds, pure gaming (competitive/non), photo/editing, streaming and data. My most recent system is built for enthusiast gaming level and workstation with streaming content in mind with only one system.

Last Edited:
I have a small collection of pocket protectors from when I was working in the automotive industry. I think they will make a come back some day and when they do, I'll be ready! Pocket protectors are one of the most under appreciated and under rated inventions of the 20th century. Sure, you may mock me now but one day when you are wearing a nice shirt and a pen leaks tragically in your pocket it will be I who will be the one laughing. You'll see...you'll all see.

I have a small collection of pocket protectors from when I was working in the automotive industry. I think they will make a come back some day and when they do, I'll be ready! Pocket protectors are one of the most under appreciated and under rated inventions of the 20th century. Sure, you may mock me now but one day when you are wearing a nice shirt and a pen leaks tragically in your pocket it will be I who will be the one laughing. You'll see...you'll all see.
Who wears nice shirts anymore other than nerds? :p

Wish I could say the same at work. seems we've ran through systems since we upgraded to W10.

We used to have everything on W7 systems but were forced to comply. I have tried suggesting some hardware/settings but they keep handing us the crappy pre-built dells with outdated hardware for our software that requires a little umpf under the hood to run them all simultaneously. The other problem, nobody before me bothered to open them up and dust them out. We had a couple fry because of that. Few got viruses some how even though I had installed things to reduce the likely hood in browsers plus safe practice, though our IT department installed a crappier removal tool and had me run it but didn't do anything other than point out the problem which we reported but never got closure if they had removed and fixed it remotely. Still has issues to this day that i've tried to follow up on.

I feel sorry for our work machines tbh. Much the same i've tried suggesting getting off Dell/Intel and going with AMD builds for our current workbench needs. Asked the same of all the servers in the data hall running Intel after all the vulnerabilities found with patched updates affecting performance, just got the direct around response.

Part of the problem can be compatibility between OS revisions. Most were made on Win7 without much though of newer OS and newer hardware, usually why newer things like Steam/Epic/GoG etc update the code to comply with the new OS so it'll play nicely. All the user has to do on their end is either get it from one of these platforms or find a compatibility mod online to fix it. Most if not all games will have a marker indicating what OS it'll work on along with minimum/recommended system specs to have on your end, simple google search of whatever title will inform you of such too.

If you are unsure how to do this, whatever error it gives you you can look up online or use other forums which have answers on how to fix it. Also double check that your hardware can handle said games as well as having all your drivers updated. There are quite a few factors going into system builds depending on task you plan on doing with it, i.e - pure work builds, pure gaming (competitive/non), photo/editing, streaming and data. My most recent system is built for enthusiast gaming level and workstation with streaming content in mind with only one system.
I have used Dell computers for decades. I even had a Business account with them and purchased for friends and family. I will never buy Dell again. They have gone downhill fast and their customer service is horrible. I am running a custom i3 Inspiron 17 5000 series for my laptop. My desktop is an i7 with all of the bells and whistles, also custom.

I couldn't find my Product Key number for the laptop. They didn't put one on the machine, like they always do, and I emailed them to get the product key for switching over to Windows 10 - in case of problems. They told me several times that because my service agreement had expired that they couldn't help me. What does a warranty have to do with the Product Key for my computer when it was their fault that one did not get attached to my machine? Every other machine that I own, all Dell, has the Key pasted somewhere on the computer, sometimes it can be in the battery case or drive access, but mine were all in plain sight.

I had to use a third party software to find it. It is stored in some form of memory on the machine.

My wife just bought an HP Pavilion 360 i5 for a new part-time job on the road. It is fast and light with a 11 hour battery life. I may have to build my own the next time I need a new computer.

Both of my current computers are easily fast enough with plenty of RAM to run Win 10. I am not buying the recommendations from Windows and computer makers that I need a new computer for Win 10 - SCAM. Dell is still selling computers like mine with Win 10. I purchased new computers just before they switched completely over to Win 10. Both are Win 7 Pro's and I am still running Microsoft 10. They are now saying that the product support will end for Microsoft 10 soon. What a scam!!!:mad:

I have used Dell computers for decades. I even had a Business account with them and purchased for friends and family. I will never buy Dell again. They have gone downhill fast and their customer service is horrible. I am running a custom i3 Inspiron 17 5000 series for my laptop. My desktop is an i7 with all of the bells and whistles, also custom.

I couldn't find my Product Key number for the laptop. They didn't put one on the machine, like they always do, and I emailed them to get the product key for switching over to Windows 10 - in case of problems. They told me several times that because my service agreement had expired that they couldn't help me. What does a warranty have to do with the Product Key for my computer when it was their fault that one did not get attached to my machine? Every other machine that I own, all Dell, has the Key pasted somewhere on the computer, sometimes it can be in the battery case or drive access, but mine were all in plain sight.

I had to use a third party software to find it. It is stored in some form of memory on the machine.

My wife just bought an HP Pavilion 360 i5 for a new part-time job on the road. It is fast and light with a 11 hour battery life. I may have to build my own the next time I need a new computer.

Both of my current computers are easily fast enough with plenty of RAM to run Win 10. I am not buying the recommendations from Windows and computer makers that I need a new computer for Win 10 - SCAM. Dell is still selling computers like mine with Win 10. I purchased new computers just before they switched completely over to Win 10. Both are Win 7 Pro's and I am still running Microsoft 10. They are now saying that the product support will end for Microsoft 10 soon. What a scam!!!:mad:
Welcome to Dell Hell... this is why I bought a built-to-my-spec Clevo.

And to ensure compliance with you upgrading all new (as of I believe 6th gen intel and Ryzen 1st) REQUIRE win 10 to operate. If they can't get you to comply with updates in software/OS they can get you at the hardware by locking out basic functions. Don't like it? jump over to Linux/Apple. I've caved in because I don't care for apple and I have never tinkered with another OS outside the common two since I don't have much need to tbh.

By the look of it. Official support for Win 7 is dead as of Jan 14th 2020. Then again you could also get an "educational" copy of Win 7 and give it the service packs it needs and prevent certain KB updates from going in to verify then you got a upgrade free path that'll function up until you end it. Awhile ago I remember something with Daz loader and other options to bypass key checks and I think you could even get cheap keys online thru Ebay or other sources.

And to ensure compliance with you upgrading all new (as of I believe 6th gen intel and Ryzen 1st) REQUIRE win 10 to operate. If they can't get you to comply with updates in software/OS they can get you at the hardware by locking out basic functions. Don't like it? jump over to Linux/Apple. I've caved in because I don't care for apple and I have never tinkered with another OS outside the common two since I don't have much need to tbh.

By the look of it. Official support for Win 7 is dead as of Jan 14th 2020. Then again you could also get an "educational" copy of Win 7 and give it the service packs it needs and prevent certain KB updates from going in to verify then you got a upgrade free path that'll function up until you end it. Awhile ago I remember something with Daz loader and other options to bypass key checks and I think you could even get cheap keys online thru Ebay or other sources.
The sad part is there are still ways to get Win 10 upgrades free even though Windows stopped the practice years ago. I just don't want to. The problem with the lack of support is virus/malware protection. Someone soon is going to blast Win 7 users with a malicious virus that will lock up the computer. I need to switch, but don't have much energy to do it and configure it to my liking.

The sad part is there are still ways to get Win 10 upgrades free even though Windows stopped the practice years ago. I just don't want to. The problem with the lack of support is virus/malware protection. Someone soon is going to blast Win 7 users with a malicious virus that will lock up the computer. I need to switch, but don't have much energy to do it and configure it to my liking.

you can protect yourself with applications like Malwarebytes Cybersecurity for Home and Business they have a premium life time (or did) real time protection with active threat databases updated by a team and community. What I currently use as its least intrusive and has been reliable.

For your browser you can use protection layers like Ublock origin/matrix, privacy badger, HTTPS everywhere and Ghostery. If you know how to config your router I would suggest getting off your default DNS and using one like Quad 9 or Cloudflare. These DNS are free to use and do have active protection to help prevent this. Just remember you cannot full on protect yourself from hack attacks or getting scammed into giving away your info. Thats more user error falling victim to phishing scams.

As always practice safe browsing habits and don't open things that look or feel suspect and to report suspicious emails with your emails report button. Good to also practice changing passwords about every other month on almost all important things you use and to set up two factor authentication or request SMS alerts etc to log in.

Should you wish to preserve the hardware you have now, just like with guns and scares, buy spare parts (which now should be on good sales and in plenty of supply). Use sites like Newegg.com or pcpartpicker.com to see deals since they list by price to competitors.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top