JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This is now a picture thread, so they're mandatory :) :)
This is my lower recording station. Everything is the same but I just changed the preamp less than a month ago for my old Sony silverface retired. I'll post and record the revised system.

• [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Absolutely love music, mostly guitar-oriented stuff from 1950s to present. Really digging Mammoth WVH (Wolfgang Van Halen's band), it's like Foo Fighters and Van Halen had a baby - worth a listen! Also, the music videos have a continuous storyline, which is pretty legit.

I'd love to get into a tube amp, but other than Decware I've no idea where to start.
Anytime you need help in tube amps, I can contribute to you what I know. I also know alot of knowledgeable guys hanging around at Hoffmans and that you can reach too. The only thing I can share with you at this point, try to avoid amps that are "designed and engineered" (not made) in china with few exceptions like the original Line Magnetics amp.. etc. It might be okay if youre only spending $150.00- $200.00 just to try for curiosity. A good to excellent sounding solid state amp is light years better than a poorly designed tube amp. Sometimes you'll get deceive even by the looks. Its not just once Ive seen someone spent so much time, money, parts and labor improving a $250 chi-fi tube amp that lost a decade in high fidelity experience. Money wise, you dont need to spend alot. Its just all about getting the right system to your sound preference and this can all be achieve at the right price..

Last Edited:
Anytime you need help in tube amps, I can contribute to you what I know. I also know alot of knowledgeable guys hanging around at Hoffmans and that you can reach too. The only thing I can share with you at this point, try to avoid amps that are "designed and engineered" (not made) in china with few exceptions like the original Line Magnetics amp.. etc. It might be okay if youre only spending $150.00- $200.00 just to try for curiosity. A good to excellent sounding solid state amp is light years better than a poorly designed tube amp. Sometimes you'll get deceive even by the looks. Its not just once Ive seen someone spent so much time, money, parts and labor improving a $250 chi-fi tube amp that lost a decade in high fidelity experience. Money wise, you dont need to spend alot. Its just all about getting the right system to your sound preference and this can all be achieve at the right price..
Thank you for the detailed response

I'm battling different fronts; The Arendals need a bit more than the current amp can provide, TYRs would do it, but that's another 4K. The current setup is good, quite good; if there's a flaw then that's what you'll hear - if it's perfect then :)

I guess I'm chasing something, a completely different setup - something "warmer". I'm looking at a pair of Lintons w/ a Rega Planar 3, a setup that'll convey Fleetwood Mac's Sara or Beautiful Child the way I think it should be heard.

I'm imagining that sound will not be solid state.

Thank you for the detailed response

I'm battling different fronts; The Arendals need a bit more than the current amp can provide, TYRs would do it, but that's another 4K. The current setup is good, quite good; if there's a flaw then that's what you'll hear - if it's perfect then :)

I guess I'm chasing something, a completely different setup - something "warmer". I'm looking at a pair of Lintons w/ a Rega Planar 3, a setup that'll convey Fleetwood Mac's Sara or Beautiful Child the way I think it should be heard.

I'm imagining that sound will not be solid state.
That Rega Rlanar model is very popular. Alot of people raves about it. I just font know much about besides very good comments. A simple solid turntable with a good motor and tone arm will definitely sing! Does it have an auto-return?
When it comes to speakers I always vote for simplicity due to the limited size of my listening room. I'm actually a big fan of single 8 inch woofers. Pretty much all of my speakers are about the same specs which is a tower, bass reflex and big volume capacity. Surprisingly I heard the Linton's on live. It sounds very organic mid bass. I'm actually blown away that it can hit a very good lower frequency for a mid size monitor on a stand. The one thing you may need to remember when youre about to enter to a tube world, you'll have to anticipate the output power rating and the bandwidth of the amp you have in mind.
Lets say a good 2-EL34 push-pull tube amp can draw an easy 32-37 watts per channel @ 8ohms depending on your circuit and the type of output transformer you have. Lets say you have an Edcor output transformer which is a decent made in USA can easily drive those Lintons in a repective way.
  • Sensitivity(2.83V @ 1m): 90dB
  • Recommended amplifier power: 25-200W
  • Peak SPL: 110dB
  • Nominal impedance: 6Ω
But if youre using an exotic tube like 300B or 2A3, even these are considered monster sounding amps, its just a fact that a 300b can only push 8 watts in a SE mode. So you'll need a speaker that has a high sensitivity input and a lower watt rating.
Why a lower a watt rating? This is just based on my experience. When it comes to lower wattage amp, I prefer a matching it lower wattage speaker because I want to drive and hear the speakers to its full potential (maximum linear voice coil travel) until its matched, no distortion and I'm satisfied before I add anything behind it like a high quality sub-woofer. they sound so different when you achieve the proper speaker matching. A very good example are the Audio Note AN-E Speakers. I heard this speakers in the pacific audio fest for 2 consecutive days driven by a 4 watt tube amp, no subwoofers and I brought all of the music I was listening to and drive it. One of the best speakers I heard for its category. The bass on that speaker is huge and can easily fill up that 500 sq ft demo room.
But some people have different preferences. They will drive that speakers 1 to 3 watts and blend the sub-woofer till it balance the sound they want. Which is pretty common too. Just like what I mention, its just a personal experience, But in the end youll be the one making the choice and decision and its all about personal preference.
  • Sensitivity(2.83V @ 1m): 96db or up
  • Recommended amplifier power: 10-85W
  • ------------------------
  • Nominal impedance: 6Ω
Just like what you said in your last statement. You like the classic Nicks / Mcvie sound.
A good start is a new design, high quality speaker woofers that has paper, paper treated cone, hemp cone will give you a warm modern-analog sound. more likely a 2 or 3 way speakers. Depending in your preference. The candidate speakers more likely has to go first. If you know the speaker ideal wattage, then you'll easily find the right amp.

Absolutely love music, mostly guitar-oriented stuff from 1950s to present. Really digging Mammoth WVH (Wolfgang Van Halen's band), it's like Foo Fighters and Van Halen had a baby - worth a listen! Also, the music videos have a continuous storyline, which is pretty legit.

I never realize that the old Van Halen use to be Mammoth long ago. Never the less Ive seen them live in the 80's with Sammy Hagar. The last time was with DLR in 2008 if I still have the MGM ticket if I recall.
Sammy Hagar's voice Really Rocks!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads