JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
An interesting thread on old anvils caught my eye this morning on gunboards.com. Though it might be of interest to some here. It made me think of the scene in the movie "Sweet Home Alabama" with them "Shooting" anvils.

Down the thread aways is some real "Shooting Anvil". Pretty AWSOME in my opinion. Gotta' love Country Folk!

View: https://youtu.be/Pb1SpUh_yKg

Yee-Haw!

I would love to see an anvil shoot. Paint Roadrunner on the bottom one and Wile E. Coyote on the one that gets launched.

Anvil secondary market went CRAZY due to Forged in Fire. It's starting to come back to earth, but people pay nutso prices for choice anvils from the better companies.

The surviving photos of the production processes for the classic anvils are absolutely amazing. Well worth a google rabbit hole session.

There are actually anvil collectors. Which makes the people here seem pretty normal by comparison. :s0092::s0139:

An interesting thread on old anvils caught my eye this morning on gunboards.com. Though it might be of interest to some here. It made me think of the scene in the movie "Sweet Home Alabama" with them "Shooting" anvils.

Down the thread aways is some real "Shooting Anvil". Pretty AWSOME in my opinion. Gotta' love Country Folk!

Yee-Haw!
That was awesome.

Not a collector but I have always admired old anvils when I have seen them, as I appreciate old tools and equipment in general.

A neighbor had an old one sitting in his living room for a few years. I was going to ask him what he was going to do with it as I would have liked it in my shop - and it would have gotten some use, but he moved a couple years ago And I forgot to ask him about it.

Yee-Haw!
Just goes to show there is a teenage boy living inside every grown man no matter how old they get :D

Not a collector but I have always admired old anvils when I have seen them, as I appreciate old tools and equipment in general.

A neighbor had an old one sitting in his living room for a few years. I was going to ask him what he was going to do with it as I would have liked it in my shop - and it would have gotten some use, but he moved a couple years ago And I forgot to ask him about it.
We'll see anvils when we're doing estate sales out in the country. In old barns/out buildings/shops. They bring a pretty penny! Most times there's already "sold" on them.

Just goes to show there is a teenage boy living inside every grown man no matter how old they get :D
I had a rudimentary forge when I was a teen, used to make all kinds of knickknacks like small knives, hooks and fire pokers. I have a better one now, but have not had time to set it up, it is still sitting in a corner of the shop in a pile. Too many hobbies, not enough time.

In the trades, our shops had very ample anvils, often multiples, and most of them old. And for obvious reasons, they were seldom moved. We even had some large vises with a combination anvil.

Now retired, I miss having one at home.

In the trades, our shops had very ample anvils, often multiples, and most of them old. And for obvious reasons, they were seldom moved. We even had some large vises with a combination anvil.

Now retired, I miss having one at home.
When I was a kid the joke was "those damn kids could tear up an anvil". Easy to see the reason so many old ones survive is pretty damn hard to wear one out. Out of curiosity looked at Amazon and they of course sell them. Largest one they sell is 135 pounds with free shipping :eek:
I can just see the look on the drivers face who has to deliver that :s0140:

Well having an anvil, which I never had a need of one, I always used my big arsed bench vice. It is way too heavy for caveman to even think about picking it up and then, after it finally gets onto a perch you have to bend slightly from the waist to beat metal things into submission to get any satisfaction out of it. Ugghhhh, no.

Not my forte, I'll have a Coke and go fishin instead. :p

Sweet home Alabama and the Yankees just did not do it for me but the southern attachments in the movie was priceless.

I also have been around anvils for many years and they are a very useful tool, good ones have become very collectable... There are numerous YouTube videos that go into the details of what separates a very good one from an average one if a person is interested in them.

It is sad to see a good anvil that has been beaten to death by an uncaring owner. Anvils are intended to be used to form "hot work" which means metal heated to red-hot temperature. Beating cold steel into shape is a good way to damage the edges of the working surface, and hammer blows that directly contact the working surface can also damage it.

I have a piece of large railroad rail that has been made into an anvil. It has served me well, and I love using it.

I also have a 4 foot section of railroad rail from when they went through a decade or so ago and replaced all the rails.
It works well for the few times that I need it.

Even the old anvils with beat down, rounded off edges can be repaired with a welder. I have a 165 # Peter Wright that had the long edges worn off to a 1/2" radius. About 2 hours with a welder built the edges up beyond flush, and another hour or so with an angle grinder made it look like new.

In my day, 'That Guy' could break an anvil with a rubber hammer..

Yee-Haw!
Anvils? How about shooting an old battle axe?
IMG_2159.jpeg

My Grandpa, a former Navy WWII Vet and Ship welder, taught me to blacksmith, weld and fabricate. I keep a small propane forge and 135lb anvil in the shop and have been known to the beat the hell out of some pieces of steel at times.

I've been watching the Essential Craftsman channel for quite some time. Scott is a southern Oregoner and stand up guy.

I want an anvil in the worst way. Mind you, I have no earthly need for an anvil...or a place to really put it. Don't care. Still want. Same goes for a Kubota.

WOLVERINES!
You can join the anvil club for $150 at Harbor Freight… 65# anvil with excellent reviews.

Here's a selfie while using mine…

IMG_2160.jpeg

OK, it's not really a selfie. :s0108:

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show