JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I would kill someone without question if they shot my dog.
Call me country, or old school, whatever. Some areas police would understand. But my dog is a part of my family. She's like my child. She would give her life for me, I have no doubt.
...snip...

I would shoot your dog without question if it was attacking one of my little girls (3yo/7yo) these ARE my children not like my children, I would hesitate if it was attacking me...

Actually, you don't have the right to shoot someone over property.

====================================================

I have the rite to defend my property, no? Maybe not Legally?

If a group a 3 nock on my door and say were here for your TV, jewelry and Grandpas watch,,, Have I not a rite to stop them?

If someone is beating my dog in a drunken rage and will not stop, do I not have rite to defend my property?

You have the right to defend your property, but there are lots of way defending your property without murdering :) With your appearance I think all the crook out there will afraid to do anything to your property.

====================================================

I have the rite to defend my property, no? Maybe not Legally?

If a group a 3 nock on my door and say were here for your TV, jewlery and Grandpas watch,,, Have I not a rite to stop them?

If someone is beating my dog in a druken rage and will not stop, do I not have rite to defend my property?

You also have the right to a dictionary but apparently you waived that right as well......

If you use deadly force to defend your 37" flat screen tv and your x-box 360 then you have the right to go to jail. As much as I would love to bust a cap in someone who broke into my car and stole my cd player and music discs............. I just could NOT sit in court and explain why I did what I did. Why don't you go and learn karate and then next time someone comes to mess with your property you can just kick some butt? You should never point a firearm at someone to intimidate them over a non life threatening matter. Go ahead and spend 10-15 years in prison for taking a life over a tv..... or a car stereo amplifier. Now if we lived in Texas, that would be a different story....... from what I hear, if someone steps foot on your property you can blow them away...... WOW
In my opinion either learn karate or move to Texas...... and if you do move to Texas, tell W I said hi hahahahahahaha

First for oregon;
161.219 Limitations on use of deadly physical force in defense of a person. Notwithstanding the provisions of ORS 161.209, a person is not justified in using deadly physical force upon another person unless the person reasonably believes that the other person is:

(1) Committing or attempting to commit a felony involving the use or threatened imminent use of physical force against a person; or

(2) Committing or attempting to commit a burglary in a dwelling; or

(3) Using or about to use unlawful deadly physical force against a person. [1971 c.743 §23]

161.220 [Repealed by 1971 c.743 §432]

161.225 Use of physical force in defense of premises. (1) A person in lawful possession or control of premises is justified in using physical force upon another person when and to the extent that the person reasonably believes it necessary to prevent or terminate what the person reasonably believes to be the commission or attempted commission of a criminal trespass by the other person in or upon the premises.

(2) A person may use deadly physical force under the circumstances set forth in subsection (1) of this section only:

(a) In defense of a person as provided in ORS 161.219; or

(b) When the person reasonably believes it necessary to prevent the commission of arson or a felony by force and violence by the trespasser.

(3) As used in subsection (1) and subsection (2)(a) of this section, "premises" includes any building as defined in ORS 164.205 and any real property. As used in subsection (2)(b) of this section, "premises" includes any building.

Second- Pitbulls aren't some myusterious evil breed, but unfortunately you do hear of the attacks due to the strength of the dogs. One of the big problems is all of the abandoned/homeless dogs. Unfortunately they've started to form packs, and "devolving" back to hunting packs.

If you're dog seriously attacks me and I'm afraid for my life or anothers- I'll shoot it and be 100% justified. You come at me and I fear for my life- again I'll shoot and be 100% justified. From reading the statutes you choose to shoot someone who shot your dog in self defense, you'll be looking at time.

I'm just saying :)

I love dogs and have nothing against Pit Bulls. I believe if a dog has a tendency to be aggressive it should be kept indoors or in the back yard fenced and on a chain. The own should post signs so anyone who happends by is aware of the dog.

My neighbor has a Pit Bull. One day he was out front and had it leashed and was talking to my wife and the dog was wondeful. Quiet and all. Then my Mini Pincher ran over to see my wife and got too close to my neighbors dog and it suddenly attacked him. My Min Pin was in its jaws and was stuck as the Pit bull had him in a full bite over his back. After a few mins with the owner freaking out choking his do and my wife in a panic some one got the idea to swat the dog on the nose with a sliper and it let go. Now I dont blame the Pit Bull They have a tendacy to do crazy stuff and my dog had no business running over there. That being said my dog was ok just shook up and our neighbor was embarrassed.

Now heres the problem. My neighbors kids would come and visit him and play with the dog out front unleashed. Pit Bullowners will tell you they are a big baby and great family dogs. most dogs are. Unfortunatly this isnt the case with other people and other dogs.

After the dog being out a few times with the visits he finnaly crossed the line in the neighbor hood.

One Day he was sitting accross the street in some bushes and I noticed him as I was taking items from my car into the house after returning home from Tacoma. my Min Pin exitied to great me on the front walk way and was sniffing around close to me. My sister in law was passing us with bags to take inside when i had a feeling something was about to happen. I looked to see where the Pit was and he was focused on us and at my dog. He rose up and charged. I yelled for my min pin to go inside and turned to challenge the Pit bull. In less then 2-3 sec the Pit had crossed and was half way through my front yard charging towards me apparently giving chase to my Min Pin who was inside now. I Gave a out a huge roar and shouted "Hey!!" and it broke the focus the Pit had and made it stop and look at me. I then shouted " Get outta here " real loud, scaring my sister inlaw almost to death as she had no clue this huge Pit was charging at us. The Pit went to his home and we went inside. I was upset but then again nothing happened to cause dmg.

I was set to speak to my neighbor about it when I saw him outside next time but learned 2 days later that the same Pit had attacked someone walking down the street and mauled her dog and she had suffered a bite to her had attempting to protect herself and pet.

Too make a long story short keep those dogs locked up.

Animal control did visit my neighbor a few times and to be honest Im not sure what became of the dog I havent seen him since.

PS I usualy carry and might have shot the Pit when it charged into my yard, but having returned from Tacoma to Portland I wasnt in my usual position to legaly carry. Fortunatly the Dog stopped and returned home.

About 2-3 nights ago (9/04?) an employed, young man working late one night over by Burger King on Hall Blvd in Beaverton, left his employer to go home. He was reported to have been mistaken for a Hispanic gang member and was knifed to death by several gang members. Kinda shocking since I frequent that area and it is less than a mile from my home. For months now I have been carrying more frequently because of the increased violence and crime in the metro Portland area. As you know there are two footed animals as well.

More violence has been reported in Beaverton. Several events have occurred at the Max Beaverton Transit Center and at various points along the Max into Hillsboro.

You guys are missing the point...It's NOT just pit bulls that are aggressive towards other dogs! Leash laws are there for a reason, it's not the dog's fault his owner was dumb enough to leave him off leash. I've met plenty of pit bulls that love nothing more than to play and interact with people and other dogs. I've also met plenty that are great with people, but don't like other dogs. I've met more labs, golden retrievers, chows, and char-peis that were aggressive to people than I've met aggressive pit bulls.

Very true, there has been more and more violence reported in Washington Co. The poor kid that got knifed to death, I wish I was there to help him out when things got violent. I never wanna be put in the situation where I have to use my firearm, but the way I see it, people who do bad things make that decision for me, having to use deadly force that is. I am not saying that I would have shot anyone, but you better believe that my weapon would have been drawn as I called 911. This is how I see it, when seconds matter it takes the cops minutes to respond and wouldn't you like to have someone save your life if they can when a violent/fatal incident is about to happen to you? I am in no way shape or form trying to be a peace officer, but like I said, cops can't always be everywhere. It's funny how you always see POLICE when everything is normal, and that one time you need them they are no where to be found. I hope they find the person who killed the poor kid and legally take care of him. Nothing pisses me off more then innocent people getting hurt and or killed. I consider myself a civilian sheep dog and I carry my firearm proudly and LEGALLY to protect myself, my family/loved ones, and the innocent. I totally agree with SKUD_DUSTY.

They put a two week hold on the dog, to make sure he wasn't rabid, and gave the owner a 'first bite' warning.

In Oregon you only get the "first bite warning" if the bite occurs off your property. Your still open to civil lawsuits but your canine won't be held or destroyed without your consent.

In Oregon you only get the "first bite warning" if the bite occurs off your property. Your still open to civil lawsuits but your canine won't be held or destroyed without your consent.

My incident with the dog happened over twenty years ago. I don't know what the exact laws/procedures were back then. I had a CC on me at the time, but when I saw I could get free and out of its reach, I never considered shooting the dog.

As someone else wrote, I didn't blame the dog, just the owner.

BTW...Below are pictures of the dog in question, and my bite marks, taken about a half-hour later.

Max

dawg.JPG

dawgbite.JPG

I am not a big fan of Pit Bulls, there is just too much risk involved in owning them.

I got to say though if you shot my chained up dog, you would be in danger of return fire. Although I am sure there must be more to your dog bite story that might explain why you were in reach of a chained dog for a good reason.

Where did the part about being chained up come from? This is what I read on the KATU website
VANCOUVER, Wash. - A 78-year-old man with a licensed concealed pistol said he was trapped by two pit bulls he had never seen before, and the only way to survive was to shoot and kill one of dogs.

Albert Gosiak (pronounced like go-shack) said he walked out of his East Vancouver house just for a minute Saturday morning. That's when he met two pit bulls in his walkway.

Gosiak said the dogs were aggressive and he was trapped. He said he acted in self defense when he shot one of the pit bulls.

"It was just a snap judgment," Gosiak said. "What do I do, fumble around? They were right there ... I gotta do something now, so I pulled out my gun and shot them."

He says they were in his walkway.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads