JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Most of us probably carry with 'the bad guy' in mind, but we're actually probably more likely to run into the following situation, either towards ourselves, or someone else, most likely a kid. Without a handgun handy, the only other option would be to yell for help, and dive in and get bit to ****. I've got scars on my right thigh from a neighbor's 'nice doggy,' and don't want to go through that again. (I didn't shoot it because it was on a chain and I managed to get free long enough to get out of reach.)
Max

Vancouver man shoots pit bull who attacked him
by Lisa Grace Lednicer, The Oregonian
Saturday August 29, 2009, 2:54 PM

A man shot one pit bull to death and police corralled a second pit bull after police responded to a call of a person being attacked by two dogs in the 13600 block of NE Regents Drive in Vancouver.

Police received a call at 10 a.m. Saturday of a 78-year-old man being attacked by two pit bulls while he walked near his home. Before he could get to safety, police said, he was forced to shoot one of the dogs dead to keep from being seriously injured.

Police determined the man legally owned his gun and had a permit to carry it. Police said he was acting in self-defense.

With the assistance of Clark County Animal Control, officers cornered and captured the second dog alive. Clark County Animal Control will conduct an investigation in an attempt to identify the owner(s) of the dogs and determine the circumstances by which the dogs got loose.

Anyone with additional information about this incident should call Clark County Animal Control during the week at 360-397-2488.

I am not a big fan of Pit Bulls, there is just too much risk involved in owning them.

I got to say though if you shot my chained up dog, you would be in danger of return fire. Although I am sure there must be more to your dog bite story that might explain why you were in reach of a chained dog for a good reason.

That'd be an interesting read: "man shoots other man for shooting his dog".

:s0131:

=================================================

I have a right to protect myself and my property, honestly I don't think I would shoot someone for shooting my dog, but maybe.

It's like eating other people in order to keep from starving to death, I would like to think I wouldn't, but I can never be sure till I am faced with the situation.

shooting a chained dog for biting you is like shooting a chained lion for biting you. you have no business getting in reach of the poor critter.
The dog is just protecting his territory.

GUNNAILS...I went over to my somewhat crazy neighbor's house to talk about something. I had never talked to him before. His big Shepard mix was snoozing on the front porch. No fence, no warning signs, so I walked up to the porch. Without warning the dog jumped up and off the porch and grabbed my leg. It was only then I saw the chain. I managed to pull him to the end of the chain (about 15 feet) and finally pull my leg free. Only then did he snarl and lunge at the end of his chain, trying to get at me again. (Afterward, I figured that he must have been asleep and didn't notice me until I was at the porch steps.) I called Animal Control and reported it, and the AC Officer who came out had to use a snare-pole to hold the dog off so he could get to the front door. My neighbor's response was, "That's what he gets for trespassing." (???!!!) They put a two week hold on the dog, to make sure he wasn't rabid, and gave the owner a 'first bite' warning. (I took pictures of my bleeding wounds, just in case, and always cringe when I run across them.)

If a little kid had been walking up to pet the 'nice doggy,' or for any other reason (selling magazine subscriptions/girl scout cookies, etc.), he/she could have been seriously injured or killed. I still have the scars on my upper thigh.

(Fortuitously, the bite just missed my 'junk'...:D)

End of story...

Max

=================================================

I have a right to protect myself and my property, honestly I don't think I would shoot someone for shooting my dog, but maybe.

It's like eating other people in order to keep from starving to death, I would like to think I wouldn't, but I can never be sure till I am faced with the situation.

shooting a chained dog for biting you is like shooting a chained lion for biting you. you have no business getting in reach of the poor critter.
The dog is just protecting his territory.

Deadly force is not legal to protect property as far as I've ever heard; short answer is you're likely to do time for that. Not only did your dog attack somebody to the point where they thought their life was in danger, then just for good measure you shot 'im! Don't think it would go well for you! :s0159:

RVNvet said:
cringe when I run across them.)

If a little kid had been walking up to pet the 'nice doggy,' or for any other reason (selling magazine subscriptions/girl scout cookies, etc.), he/she could have been seriously injured or killed. I still have the scars on my upper thigh.

(Fortuitously, the bite just missed my 'junk'...:D)

End of story...

Max

==================================================

Well. don't I look stupid.:D

I pictured a dog chained to a pole in the middle of the back yard. The owner should of had a beware of dog sign, or a no trespassing sign. Very irresponsible of the Sheps owner because even if he had warning signs he needs to make sure some Girl Scout selling cookies does not get harmed.

Still I don't blame the dog just the owner.

Glad you and your jewels are ok.

Couple times I've been out riding my road bike (push bike,, pedal bike) and wished I'd been carrying. Once I was actually bitten while riding up a slow hill. Rode to the animal control depot, filled out a report, the officer took some polaroids of my wounds.... I dressed them, completed my ride, and on the way past that house coming home about two hours later, I saw the AC van at the property. Two medium sized dogs had attacked me, playing team tag on my feet. Only one got me, but I couldn't tell which... they looked similar, things happened pretty fast, and I was in fear for my safety. AC had had complaints in the past on those two, molesting joggers and cyclists, but I was the first to shed blood AND report it. Both dogs were taken away, the owner was under threat of jail time if either ever bit anyone again..... Washington law, and I believe a good one. Owner decided no more crazy dogs was a higher moral value than jail time. No fence on the property, dogs never restrained (or trained). Stupid people who don't train their animals, or at least restrain them so they can't do harm to others.

Been harrassed by two other large black dogs, in one case I wished I'd had a pistol for the owner, who came out and got crazy snarky, threatened me, cussed me out.... again, no fence, no restraint. Another report, but I avoided that road for quite a while. I was in fear of my life, the way that dog's owner was behaving. Took it a personal offense that I took poorly to his dog's aggressive harrassment. Seems that dog was about as well-adjusted as his owner. Both should have been taken out of service for a while. These days, I think a .38 into the skull of such a dog would be about right. And hold the vicious owner at bay till the cops come to take the report. Some people.....

Love 'em like a family member or not, a dog is property, if someone shoots it file destruction of property charges and sue them, whatever you want, but in terms of the law shooting them for it would be no different than shooting them for breaking your television set. Luckily with responsible ownership the risks are fairly low.

If a pit bull came at me all worked up and angry........ i'd drop it like a hot potato........ same thing if it was attacking someone else.......... We all have had a dog come running up to us in a play full manner and i'm not talking about that...... I am talking about a scary looking thing that is gonna bite the H-E double hockey sticks out of ya.......... same thing if a coyote or a mountain lion was coming at me like it's gonna attack me. They don't come to you to say HI. I have never had a coyote come up to me, they always run away..... same thing with a mountain lion. So if it is coming at me then that would be a red flag and i'd have my pistol/rifle/AOW drawn...... and if they pass the point of no return then guess what boys and girls.......... BANG BANG. I would not take a human life because they killed my animal.... now if they are torturing an animal then i'd probably try to do a citizen's arrest and if needed, pepper spray or taze then call the cops blah blah blah and if a weapon is involved then you bet your behind I will have my firearm drawn on them and if they get shot, it is because they made that decision for me.

i was at a wrecking yard once when 2 pit bulls came at me they had come through the fence from the next door wrecking yard . they both stopped short about 3 feet barking and growing i was cornered i just stood still and carefully hit the redial to the phone # to the wrecking yard as i had just called them for directions but by that time the keeper of the yard next door who usually is not there on Sundays had heard the dogs and came and called them off

that could have been a really bad situation

also my neighbors have a pit rot mix that used to terrorize my kids through a old wood fence but they have been keeping the dog under control ever since they started growing pot

These dogs get a bad rap. Lots of breeds are purchased because they are "tough". These dogs of course have the potential to do devastating damage but it is the lack of training and exercise to focus the high energy of these breeds and in some cases the intentional abusive acts that make these dogs mentally unstable. This is when they become dangerous. With proper exercise and training these dogs make magnificent companions. It is the irresposable owners that fail to properly care for the needs of these animals that cause them to act in this manner. It is too bad that we never hear about the amazing faithfull family Rottweiler, Doberman pinscher, or Pitt bull.

A little more local (redacted be me)

DOG SHOT AFTER CHARGING AT POLICE OFFICER - 09/02/09
On September 2, 2009 at 6:52 p.m., Salem Police responded to a report of a pit bull running loose and charging at people in the area of Liberty Elementary School located in the 4800 block of Liberty Rd S. Salem Police received additional information that the pit bull had attempted to bite a female that was walking nearby.
When Officer ...... ......... arrived on scene, he located the pit bull at a residence at 4912 Liberty Rd S. The pit bull was unsecured and displaying aggressive behavior toward Officer ..... and several citizens. While waiting for an animal control stick to arrive to control the dog, the pit bull charged Officer ....., and as a result, Officer ..... shot the dog with his firearm. The dog was deceased at the scene.
From the investigation, it was learned that the 2 1/2 year old male Pit Bull had charged and lunged at several people in an attempt to bite them. At least one female was nearly bitten by the dog. The owners of the pit bull, Christopher Mann and Amanda Rasmussen, arrived home at 4912 Liberty Rd S shortly after the incident. They indicated that their pit bull had been secured inside of their fenced backyard and they did not know how their gate was opened which allowed their dog to get out.
An investigation is continuing into this incident.

I would kill someone without question if they shot my dog.
Call me country, or old school, whatever. Some areas police would understand. But my dog is a part of my family. She's like my child. She would give her life for me, I have no doubt.

If someone kills a police dog, they get charged with killing a police officer. Why not my dog?
Cause it didn't cost me 20k?

And I've met a lot of pitbulls that were great dogs, friendly, loving dogs. To everyone.
The problem is most people that hav them are ghetto trash and treat them like crap. They make them mean. But that's any dog.

And that guy was 78!!! Nice. You don't mess with those older guys that lived through times when America was really America.

Please, anyone thinking that the American Pit-bull Terrier is some mean, vicious, aggressive dog, spend some time on this site and educate yourselves.

<broken link removed>

During WW2 the Pit-Bull was THE American dog. It's amazing how quickly we as a people can forget. The argument that all pitbulls are aggressive/killer dogs is the same argument that all "assault" rifles are evil and made just for killing.

What a horrible vicious dog...

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top