JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Dogs are historically (and pre-historically) bred for specific traits. In some arenas it's all about muscles, crushing jaw power and hyper-aggressive instincts. There's no denying that some critters are superior fighters (by design), and some are bite-size, yelping chew toys.

So like a lot of fun things (guns, booze, cars, cycles, etc.), responsible ownership defines the line between healthy enjoyment and tragedy.

Of course nurtured menacing behavior will always grab big headlines. "My dog is tougher and angrier than your dog. Good boy Slasher!" Sadly, a lot of that is probably just pathetic overcompensation for puny caliber, diminutive barrel length and failure to eject.

There was just a case here where a family were playing in their front yard with their two kids and little dog, when three pitbulls ran into their yards tore their little dog to shreds and then started acting aggressive towards the family. They finally (Thank God) left the yard.

The family witht he three pits were cited for this once before, but there no real laws against getting your family pet mauled to death. Only against not keeping your dogs controlled and secured.

I believe if your in fear of your safety you should shoot to kill. Dog, bear, person whatever.
I'm not really afraid of dogs and have had pitbulls ru up to my dog acting "aggressively" at the dog park, but I wouldn't and never have thought about pulling my gun or knife. If it were to bite my dog or act like it was going to attack I would have put it down, and probably had a few words/fists, with the owner.
But most of the time dogs in general pits, or puppies, will run up to other dogs and growl/bark/ act aggressive. But mean no harm other than wanting to rough house.

But you always have to be ready for the worst.

My dog is blacklab/great dane/and pitbull or boxer. She's the biggest baby you could dream of. But when we go for walks or outside to potty and she sees another dog or even person she growls and barks and sounds ferocious.
My wife took her out the other daya nd she got off her collar and ran barking and growling at a lady walking her dog. Scared the bejesus out of her I guess. And if she was packing maybe my dog would have been killed.

When some people say they would return fire if their dog had been shot, I'm thinking they see it as "there goes my first line of home defense, and there's a person outside with a loaded gun in-hand." In such a situation, I think any reasonable person would atleast be loading up their shotgun. Personally, I wouldn't be shooting right away, but my SHTF-senses would be at DEFCON-1.

I also think shooting just about any dog could be justified. Tied up or not. Like one poster above said, he was headed to go talk to the neighbor and he was attacked by a dog. Personally, I had to shoot my own dog in self defense after it had a seizure. When it woke up, it was snarling and snapping at me and some house-guests. It was weird, considering that dog had always been the biggest coward, and he was probably only 60-70 lbs at most. I know personally, that even the most friendly, pansy dogs can go crazy.

I have read through these posts and some make me laugh while others concern me. I would first like to say I do not and will not own a Pit bull, for no reason other than my Lab has a use which is duck hunting. I can say if my dog ever attacked anyone for no apparent reason I would put him down myself. I love my dog and he is family however If he would attack one person he might do it again and next time it could be a small child. A child that may be killed or maimed for life, how could I live with myself if this happened and I had a chance to stop and chose not to.
Now if someone was on my property yielding a gun about I would be in my rights to at least ask them questions at gun point. I would not shoot someone on my property or otherwise for the justified shooting of my pet.
But to those of you who say Pits are bad dogs I say this. After every shooting of violence there is an ANTI gun advocate saying that all gun owners are bad people. I say this in response to those people "guns don't kill people" neither does a well trained well behaved dog. "People kill people" and irresponsible owner kills dogs that attack people. Weather or not they hold the gun or use the needle that puts it down the owners of violent dogs should be the ones held accountable, not the breed of dog.

........I say this in response to those people “guns don’t kill people” neither does a well trained well behaved dog. “People kill people” and irresponsible owner kills dogs that attack people. Weather or not they hold the gun or use the needle that puts it down the owners of violent dogs should be the ones held accountable, not the breed of dog.

That's why I have pet yellow jackets. They do a great job protecting my house and I would like to see someone try to put down my swarm with a .45.:s0114:

My dog does get snappy when pushed (male dogs being aggressive mostly, dominate.) I don't believe my dog would ever bite someone. But I'm sure others have said the same thing to have an accident happen.

However, my dog is my child. Period. If someone hurt her I would do just as I would if someone hurt my wife. I would ensure justice was served.

And if my dog ran into someone else's yard then yeah she would be at fault. But whatever happens if you come in my yard with a gun I'm thinking your a deadily threat to me and one of us isn't going home.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top