JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hmmm. Let's see if I got this right. Your dog attacks a child out in front of your home. A police office happens by and finds it necessary to shoot the dog...to protect the child and himself.

You are then going to shoot the police officer.

Yea...right.

:s0131:

I think I saw this in a movie once. Actually it was a group of school kids attacked by this ferocious dog. A whole group of squad cars pull up and the officers shot the dog. Then the owner would probably come out with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth wearing only tighty-whities. He'd fire off a few rounds with his grenade launcher and finish up by emptying his AR into whoever survived the grenades. Meanwhile the poor school kids are inadvertently killed by the grenades. :p

I love playing the devil's advocate:D

I get very frustrated reading about these stories. More inconsiderate people making poor decisions that lead to the further demise of one of the best dog breeds.

The problem is that the larger, more powerfull dogs are the ones that do the damage. There are plenty of unworthy dog owners out there that own toy poodles, dachsunds and many other small breeds that bite and attack people and other dogs. None of them have been properly socialized, which is part of the training that I spoke of in an earlier post. ALL dogs should be on a leash.

In general pet guardians, yes Ii said guardians, they own me I don't own them, should have the dogs on lead. However thanks to the hard work of a lot of good people I am close to 2 off leash parks and my dogs run free.
So your point while well stated is only partially correct.

Absolutely. And unattended in your neighborhood is not the place. ;)

Anytime I head out to the boonies my pup is always let loose! But only when it's just us, otherwise he's on. Just like the reason most conceal carry - it's not for when you plan on a threat, it's because you never know when a threat may present itself.

That's cool that there are some off leash parks! I wish more people understood that there were actually leash laws most places. Too many times my dog and I are confronted by off leash and unbehaved dogs (typically of the current fad variety none the less).

I did not mean that dogs should be on leash at off leash parks. That is the one place that people should be able to enjoy their pets freely. My point was simply that I have heard of too many injuries to dogs who were off leash from a dog who was on leash.

That is not to say that they should be tied up to a ten foot chain 24/7 either. People get dogs, tie them up outside and that is it. I don't know about you but if I was tied up outside on a ten foot lead and never socialized and never walked I would be mentaly unstable myself. And I am sure I would take my frustrations out on the first person who looked at me funny.

My point was simply that I have heard of too many injuries to dogs who were off leash from a dog who was on leash.

I believe we're agreeing on the same thing here. As I mentioned, I get very frustrated when leash laws are (theoretically) enforced and people don't obey them. As a APBT (American Pit Bull Terrier) owner - I get the nasty look even though they aren't following the law, have an aggressive dog going after mine, all while mine is on leash and in control.

That is not to say that they should be tied up to a ten foot chain 24/7 either. People get dogs, tie them up outside and that is it. I don't know about you but if I was tied up outside on a ten foot lead and never socialized and never walked I would be mentaly unstable myself. And I am sure I would take my frustrations out on the first person who looked at me funny.

Exactly my point in my original post! And in the case of APBT's it can be even worse. They are high activity working dogs that NEED social interaction with their owners. Interesting breed of dog that doesn't need play time with other animals necessarily but they crave time with people. To make matters worse, being working dogs that love to please their owners, they will do anything they think their owner wants them to. Any dog will do whatever it takes to get attention if it's tied up and ignored all the time.

I hope my commentary isn't seen as arguing with you - clarifying is all I intended. Further comments are primarily directed at the original few posts and their "scary attacking pit bull" attitude. It's like the fear of guns when reality is the gun is fine - it's the people using them to do ill mannered deeds with them that brings fear. I am, and always will be, a big supporter of this breed and am extra confused how a group (gun owners) receiving more negative press than all dog breeds combined could fall victim to media hype. It's an animal and all animals possess the ability to harm and do not have the moral compass of human beings. Furthermore (and to my it's the people not the gun comment), APBT's (as are any breed really) are what their owners make them. Anyone remember when APBT's were the sweetheart dog of America and the top choice for a family dog? My 80 year old neighbor sure does. Looking through the history of them it's a good example of what will happen to our gun rights if people are sheep.

Yup, just like I said earlier...look at WW2, the APBT was THE American dog.

Please, anyone thinking that the American Pit-bull Terrier is some mean, vicious, aggressive dog, spend some time on this site and educate yourselves.

<broken link removed>

During WW2 the Pit-Bull was THE American dog. It's amazing how quickly we as a people can forget. The argument that all pitbulls are aggressive/killer dogs is the same argument that all "assault" rifles are evil and made just for killing.

What a horrible vicious dog...

Its always the Pit Bull not the Thug that made them mean. Just like it is always the High capacity firearm not the person holding the gun. Think about it and you might agree. I have 2 Pit Bulls I rescued from shelters and the are both by far the best dogs I ever have owned. The first was by accident. We adopted him as a lab and as he grew older he was clearly a pit bull not a lab. It was the best mistake of our lives. They just get a bad rap becuse they are a tough and extremely loyal dog that we can not keep out of the hands off the wrong people. Just like AK47's and assault rifles or any firearm for that matter

Please, anyone thinking that the American Pit-bull Terrier is some mean, vicious, aggressive dog, spend some time on this site and educate yourselves.

<broken link removed>

During WW2 the Pit-Bull was THE American dog. It's amazing how quickly we as a people can forget. The argument that all pitbulls are aggressive/killer dogs is the same argument that all "assault" rifles are evil and made just for killing.

What a horrible vicious dog...

That's SOOO sweet,but all the dogs that were models for these pictures were probably interbred with litter mates and had their brains screwed up to make a meaner fighting/guard dog.
That has been the demise of the Pit bull.No care in breeding,making a high energy dogs a dangerous dog.Pits were specifically bread for fighting,that's why they go off easily on other small animals.They were designed for that.
Then you don't take any care with the breeding and let small peened idiots own them and you get a dangerous animal.

Now to the OP that got bit by the dog on the neighbor's porch? You got what you deserved.If there is a dog in a yard,on a porch,it is your responsibility to make sure it isn't going to bite you.
Maybe that is the soul reason for the dog being there?

And you had better have a very good reason for shooting my dog, 'cause I wouldn't hesitate to draw on you if drew on my family member.
No problem at all.Plenty of evidence to make a pet more than just a piece of property. (but that is my opinion)

Some people are just irresponsible and don't deserve the privilege of owning dogs. Or guns for that matter.

On the topic of leash laws, what drives me crazy is cities where the dog must be under 'vocal control' of the owner but not necessarily on a leash. It's pretty easy to tell someone to leash their dog when that's the law but 'vocal control' is a whole different matter. To some people I run into, 'vocal control' apparently means standing 50 feet away uselessly yelling their dogs name while their dog rushes up and tries to engage my two dogs.

Any dog can be a problem with lack of training and poor breeding. One of my dogs got several nasty bites in an attack by a golden retriever and I was surprised to read that statistically they are one of the worst breeds for biters. It was a sneak attack and was over before my wife had a chance to react.

Now I carry mace as a first line of defense for my dogs, and CCW to defend myself if needed. Also, if you don't have Mace handy and your dog is in a death grip, lift the aggressor dog off the ground by their back legs and they will usually let go.

Pit bulls I have seen nice ones but 9 out of 10 times some child or elderly person is mailed to death it was by a PB. Those numbers are purely my recollections but I just don't ever recall a lab killing people even though they are probably ten times more labs around.

Pit bulls I have seen nice ones but 9 out of 10 times some child or elderly person is mailed to death it was by a PB. Those numbers are purely my recollections but I just don't ever recall a lab killing people even though they are probably ten times more labs around.

It may seem like that but just like the gun is alwas a glock or an ak. We find out later its not a pit bull.

If you mail people they are likely not going to survive going though the sorting machine at the post office. :s0114:

I have been a UPS driver for 24 years and dealing with dogs is an occupational hazard. I encounter dogs at least a couple of thousand times per year and that is not an exaggeration. The two breeds I have the most problems with are German Shepherds and Chows. In 24 years I have yet to encounter an aggressive pitbull. My experience has been that pitbulls sometimes have aggression issues with other dogs but they are seldom if ever aggressive towards people. Those who think otherwise are simply buying into the media hype---the same media that has been so accurate and impartial when dealing with 2nd Amendment issues. The same flawed arguments we hear calling for bans on so-called "assault weapons", "cop-killer bullets" and "high capacity clips" could be cut-and-pasted into an identical argument to ban pitbulls and it would still be BS.

I had a pitbull pick up one of my dogs and I thought she was as good as dead but she lived and amazing enof ok! I reached for my gun and the owner was on top of her dog trying to seperate the two of them so I never drew my wepon in concern of the woman. I would have shot that dog if it came down to it but didnt want to. The point is, a dog is just as dangerous as a gun so we as dog owners need to be smart and consider all possibilitys. My dogs for instance can couse death from the ancles down!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top