JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
We should be careful not to impugn somebody who has to wait. Saying that their clean livin' is responsible for quick BGC times is not at all the whole story. I, too, am in and out, with less than 5 minutes of waiting. But I just chalk that up to being blessed enough to not share a name with anybody who has done stuff. Often our own history has almost nothing to do with long wait times, but the history of people with similar or the same names.

We should be careful not to impugn somebody who has to wait. Saying that their clean livin' is responsible for quick BGC times is not at all the whole story. I, too, am in and out, with less than 5 minutes of waiting. But I just chalk that up to being blessed enough to not share a name with anybody who has done stuff. Often our own history has almost nothing to do with long wait times, but the history of people with similar or the same names.

I honestly don't know as I've never ran a check but wouldn't it be fairly easy to know who is whom based on the social security number on the form?

What if the person filling out the form has stolen someone else's ss#?

wouldn't the social and the name toss a red flag if they were not matched?

Plus I think they have to see your state license.

Side note (There is someone with my first and last name in my city, ALSO married to a lady with the first and last name (duh I guess) as my wife). Found that out at the Doctors office about 10 years ago.

I've never put down my SS# , was told it was optional and why would you ever want to give that info if it wasn't needed. Not only do I have a complete FBI and Homeland security checks yearly for my pilots license but I also just had a complete background check by FBI and TSA for the completion of my 100ton masters captains license. I don't even have a parking ticket much less something to make a delayed for a firearm purchase. My last name is very unique. Just weird how the first couple here went through in 5 seconds, now the last 3 have all been delayed.

It may have something to do with the amount of NICS checks being run. Have you been to a Cabela's on the day of a sale? OMG, there was a forty five minute to two hour wait just to get to the screens to fill out the paperwork. The gun counter was estimating a 4 hour wait to check out. That was with a WA CPL. There were just that many people trying to purchase firearms. The NICS would have a heck of a time keeping up with all the Cabela's having the same sale. I'm so glad my name is, so far anyway, clear of any issues.

Fortunately I've never experienced anything longer than -5 minutes (pre or post SB941) it took for the sales clerk to get the approval confirmation number from the OSP, then write it down on the 4473. Hell, I was still cleaning the ink from my thumbs... I love Bi-Mart, but HATE the defacto gun registry. o_O

Cabela's is a true nightmare to buy guns from, even when there's no sale going on or anything the two times I bought guns at the Lacey location recently took hours because all the employees have to double and triple check each other and they are slooooooooooooow. -_-

Also I doubt a delay has anything to do with the number of guns purchased. I've been buying about 1 every other week for the last three months and have yet to get a delay, even from buying multiple in one day.

Then again, I put my SS# down and have a pretty unique last name. Not sure how the theory of having the same last name as a felon goes because they have to look at your drivers license and that has a unique identifier code on it does it not? (driver's license number)

Did I mention that in Idaho,if you have a carry license,then the state understands you ALREADY HAD A BACK ROUND CHECK and you walk out without any calls? Just wondering if I mentioned that:D

Did I mention that in Idaho,if you have a carry license,then the state understands you ALREADY HAD A BACK ROUND CHECK and you walk out without any calls? Just wondering if I mentioned that:D

IRRC the Washington state law is the same, but the stores are so cow-towed by the Bat-Men (BAT-F) that they all run the NICS check, anyhow "just to be safe".

Theoretically it is possible to have committed a crime or gone bonkers since the CPL was issued. The CPL's have a 5-year renewal span and lots can happen in that time.

IRRC the Washington state law is the same, but the stores are so cow-towed by the Bat-Men (BAT-F) that they all run the NICS check, anyhow "just to be safe".

Theoretically it is possible to have committed a crime or gone bonkers since the CPL was issued. The CPL's have a 5-year renewal span and lots can happen in that time.

And on that note, who could tell if a purchaser with a clean record just beat a family to death with a baseball bat 2-hrs before a purchase (i.e. BTK Killer), or someone passes a UBC then goes out right afterwards and shoots up "gun free zone"?
. Oh come on, carry permit owners never do that. Actually the percentage is very minuscule. Tell me, can you two cite any time this has happened?o_O

.Tell me, can you two cite any time this has happened?
That's a valid question.
Here's one, apparently:
June 6, 2010, permit holder Gerardo Regalado, 38, committed Hialeah, Florida's worst mass shooting: killing four women, including his estranged wife, and wounding three others at the Yoyito Cafe-Restaurant. Regalado killed himself after the attack.

We for sure don't get all the data through the so-called news, so how are we to know the true picture? Most news stories don't mention this one way or another.

If we were in FBI with access to the stats they have, we might be able to say. But my CPL doesn't provide me with superhuman intelligence, judgment, and endless patience nor is it proof of having had any. Like security clearances, a CPL just means the individual hasn't done (or been caught doing) anything prohibited ...yet.

Though past behavior is a good indicator of future behavior there are no guarantees with the rubbery test-tubes full of seething chemicals that are human beings. ;)

And yep, looks like WA state 2014 law has preempted the Brady Exemption for CPL holders. It was a Wade's salesperson who told me that "we do it anyway just to be safe" while we waited for the NICS phone call. Can't remember if that was 2014 or later.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top