JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The information about "FICS" on the Oregon government website states that the $10 background check goes to fund the "Firearms Unit." The real question is what are the specifics involved with the funding of the Firearms Unit. Does the state of Oregon pay salaries and other overhead costs from the general fund, or does the Firearms Unit have its own financial account from where it draws its funds.

The legislature may claim that the costs involved with the Firearms Unit are covered because of the $10 fee, but that different from the money going directly from the gun dealer into a separate financial account controlled by the Firearms Unit.

In other words, I think you're right, Norm0931. SB941 is supposedly generating revenue in order to fund the Firearms Unit--but that $10 (in all likelihood) goes directly into the general fund, from which the Firearms Unit obtains its needed monies.

I wish we could get a lawyer to chime in.
I know for a fact it goes to the state's general fund. The FICS unit purely works as a pass-through for the $10 fee. FICS gets funded out of OSP's budget.

I just got delayed today on a purchase from a member on the forum here. Tropic pawns in Orchards did my last transfer just 2 weeks ago and had a answer back in seconds, today he said delayed. How can it change so quickly or is it just some sort of backup in the system ? Really wanted to pick up this shotgun before leaving for BC tomorrow. Ugh :s0054:

Aw dude! One thing you have going for you, I hope, is that Washington uses NICS where Oregon uses the (Overworked) State Police. It took Wifey 3 months.....Presumably Multnomah County takes the longest of any agency to get info to OSP. That's according to OSP when they finally returned a call from us over two weeks later.

I am curious has anyone ever been delayed without a non-cause ?
In other words even if disponged, has a anyone ever been delayed with a 100%
clean and clear background outside of a traffic ticket. Also I wonder has anyone with a
Conceal Carry been delayed ?

I guess I never got caught at anything :rolleyes:, so I go buy what were when
and wait a few minutes and walk out. I am trying to understand outside of the B.S>
what is it that prevents some why not others?

Thanks.

I would like to know that too.. I don't even have a parking ticket, the owner at tropic pawn said he had one yesterday too and was approved this morning.

clean and clear background outside of a traffic ticket. Also I wonder has anyone with a

and wait a few minutes and walk out. I am trying to understand outside of the B.S>

Thanks.

Thanks.

I have both a Washington CPL and a Oregon CHL and ALWAYS get delayed (and sometimes denied)

Well, I am suing the FBI :D Yep, really. I'll let you know how it goes.

My attorney basically said we have exhausted all the normal avenues and that's the next step. A month or so ago I filed a formal complaint against the FBI, they have 180 days to respond and then the lawsuit gets filed and we go from there

I understand the Oregon process is antiquated by modern standards, incompleteness and out of date records, records in desperate need of updates all come together with name confusion to cause delays.

Perhaps it's time to petition the Oregon Legislature to abandon the defective process in place today and connect to the NICS system. It can't be any worse, I mean seriously...

That would be a bill that I would vocally support...

On a side note, wonder how victims of identity theft fair through this process...

I was actually able to get a hold of someone today. I talked to Laurie Barnes she was very polite and helpful. I reccomend trying her number if you're trying to get in touch with OSP.

She went and got the documents I faxed her and she cleared the problem saying there was a charge showing but a disposition wasn't listed. The papers I sent showed it was dismissed. Thinking I was in the clear and about to get a call soon to go pick up my new pistol she told me there was a second charge during the same arrest and there wasn't a disposition for that charge either. I had no idea there was another charge and I was never prosecuted. So now I'm held up until they can get the info from the California District Attorney that I was never prosecuted on that charge or possibly somewhere else in court records show a disposition on it. I have no idea how they're going to get that info at least in any timely manner.
I already did the research to try and get the records myself which I will try to tomorrow but it looks like it will have to be handled via snail mail. And I couldn't call anyone at the court because they close at 1pm! Ah bureaucracy... So now its possible to get these documents only to find there is no record of this charge. I already have a paper from pulling my record in the county the arrest took place and it only shows the one charge on it.. Furthermore I may have to get fingerprinted and send them in with a request to California Department of Justice for a criminal record review. That gets sent to me, I look it over then have to send them back a different form called Claim of Alleged Inaccuracy or Incompleteness. In hopes they will fix it and I'm supposed to provide them the information or proof for them to correct it.
I have no idea how this is going to effect future purchases or dealing with NICS directly in other states. Does anyone know if I try to get a UPIN they will keep record of my eligibility to purchase arms or is it only for means of identification to not mix you up with someone else?

I suggest getting a V0 number (NICS VAF).
It was always a coin flip for me being delayed. Sometimes an approval callback in 10 min (after I was on Freeway already lol) sometimes 3 days, sometimes no issue.
Have a CPL and 03FFL.
V0 number solved the issue.

I understand the Oregon process is antiquated by modern standards, incompleteness and out of date records, records in desperate need of updates all come together with name confusion to cause delays.

Perhaps it's time to petition the Oregon Legislature to abandon the defective process in place today and connect to the NICS system. It can't be any worse, I mean seriously...

That would be a bill that I would vocally support...

On a side note, wonder how victims of identity theft fair through this process...
This is the kind of thing I think we should be focusing on in next year's legislative session. Turn their own propaganda back on them.

"The NICS system is better and cheaper. If OSP is not reporting things to NICS then Salem wants children to die. Democrats are obviously only using children if they don't want a more efficient background check system."

Personally, I think we should combine that with mandatory sentencing for felons in possession of a firearm and individuals who fraudulently fill out the 4473. Felon in possession of a firearm, minimum 25 years without the possibility of parole.

This is the kind of thing I think we should be focusing on in next year's legislative session. Turn their own propaganda back on them.

"The NICS system is better and cheaper. If OSP is not reporting things to NICS then Salem wants children to die. Democrats are obviously only using children if they don't want a more efficient background check system."

Personally, I think we should combine that with mandatory sentencing for felons in possession of a firearm and individuals who fraudulently fill out the 4473. Felon in possession of a firearm, minimum 25 years without the possibility of parole.

While fundamentally I don't disagree, I would make one caveat

Violent felon in possession of a firearm.

Or maybe even the caveat a felon in possession during the commission of a crime.

I know a number of good people who made mistakes in their past who are not a danger to society. Most drug related, the people now being free from drugs for several decades. They are not a risk to society, they just happened to be people who got caught doing what a lot of people do when they are young and dumb.

I have one friend who owns a number of firearms, his wife is a prohibited person from a 20 year old pot conviction. (in Idaho where if you get a drug charge you are never eligible to restore firearms rights without a pardon from the Governor ) He goes to great lengths to make sure she is never in "possession" but if some hot shot cop got a bug in his butt I am sure she could be charged.

So you would give her a fixed prison term of 25 years? Ignore the 20+ years she has been a productive member of society, the kids she has raised and all the good she has done since?

These are good people. If you met this family you would never guess she is a convicted felon. They own a nice home in a upper middle class neighborhood, she runs an insurance brokerage. She is on the PTA, drives a new Subaru packing around her three kids to soccer and dance class.

We live in a world where "felon" really does not mean what comes to mind probably better than 1/2 the time. 9% of the population has a past felony conviction. 9 out of every 100 people you see every day is a convicted felon. There are people who I think should never be allowed to have a firearm, But "felon" in many cases is not a good metric in my opinion.

Remember in several states it is a felony to give or receiver oral sex :D

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top