JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
By golly, The good State of Colorado has the good sence to use the F.B.I. for it's BGC and combined with my CHL, Which means no paper work, I passed with less then a 5 min wait! No delay, no denied, passed right through with nary a problem. Me thinks it time to give Ol' OryGyn the one finger waive good by for good!!! Colorado doesn't violate my 2nd rights like Orygun! How in heck can the good folks in the OSP deny me when I have a CHL in good standing, passed the TSA Screening, and have a CDL with papers to transit Canada!

By golly, The good State of Colorado has the good sence to use the F.B.I. for it's BGC and combined with my CHL, Which means no paper work, I passed with less then a 5 min wait! No delay, no denied, passed right through with nary a problem. Me thinks it time to give Ol' OryGyn the one finger waive good by for good!!! Colorado doesn't violate my 2nd rights like Orygun! How in heck can the good folks in the OSP deny me when I have a CHL in good standing, passed the TSA Screening, and have a CDL with papers to transit Canada!
Too high on their legalized marijuana perhaps?

Just FYI, a new policy went in to effect this week with Oregon FICS. If you provide the dealer with your Oregon CHL or DPSST and they input it as an alternate ID, you can skip to the head of the queue. According to FICS, "This change is the result of a Legislative request." I'm guessing it was not Ginny Burdick or Floyd Prozanski who requested this. Be sure to thank you pro-freedom legislators. I'm already instructing my staff to ask for these items on every transaction, but not all shop actually read the FICS policy statements so you need to be informed as a purchaser.

I don't recall if you've told a story, but, did you have a touch of color in your past that won't go away? Similar name to some ax murderer? Or the like? Or is this "Bottomless pit" you're in just out of the blue/for no reason that anybody knows or will tell?

At the rate were going, they won't need to pass more gun control laws they just need to slowly delay and deny us all over a period of time!

Damn touch of color, why you so racist Mike.

I received the dreaded delay yesterday and went back this morning to cancel the 1st check and paid another $10.00 to run it again, hoping it would sail through.
No such luck. Maybe if I start calling the official OSP hot line to nowhere, I'll get this taken care of.

Joined just to add my $.02. I was delayed on a handgun purchase in Portland a few weeks ago and have heard nothing, even after calling ALL of the numbers provided and leaving messages. I was arrested in the 80's as a teen and the disposition was not guilty. I purchased my first handgun in '91, and have bought many since. I obtained my CDL in the mid 90's, and CPL about 10 years ago. When I went to buy this new pistol, I discovered both the CPL and CHL had expired (who keeps track.. and why don't they send a notice??). Since I am the only person in the US with my name, and likely the world, I didn't fill in my SS#.

It's pretty frustrating that the store keeps your money and the gun, and you cannot even discover why you were delayed to try to clear it up. If it was the arrest 30 years ago, you would think the CHL for the last 20 years would trump the arrest since I had to provide disposition information to obtain the license. Common sense not so common..

Seems they just really don't want citizens to have guns. I'm not opposed to throwing my name into a class action suit if anyone is interested.

Much Love, Be Safe

The Oregon State police wipe clean their background check info every 4 years, 8 months, so if you have any red flags on a NICS, it will flag your application and will delay purchase for up to a month and a half while they check it out.

Doesn't matter how many guns you buy in Oregon, once a red flag pops up, the clock is ticking. Unless you remove the red flag from your record, you will have to deal with a delay or possible denial every 4 years and eight months according to the OSP.

...I'm guessing it was not Ginny Burdick or Floyd Prozanski who requested this...
Ha, probably not! :D

You guys seem to have a different protocol in Oregon than we do here. Here, a delay means you come back in 3 business days if they don't call before then. They do the transfer if no word from NICS.

Also here the CPL means n-o-t-h-I-n-g.

How in heck can the good folks in the OSP deny me when I have a CHL in good standing, passed the TSA Screening, and have a CDL with papers to transit Canada!

Logic has little place in the land of NICS. I have a CPL, armed WA State Investigator ID, qualified yearly by Washington CJTC, and a DHS/TSA ID and am still delayed sometimes.
:s0153:

Ha, probably not! :D

You guys seem to have a different protocol in Oregon than we do here. Here, a delay means you come back in 3 business days if they don't call before then. They do the transfer if no word from NICS.

Also here the CPL means n-o-t-h-I-n-g.
Which is insane to me as a dealer. If I turn over the firearm, then you pop up denied, I'm basically done. No way i'd risk the business because you were delayed and wanted your gun. I understand that people are delayed for no reason constantly, but it's just too much of a liability for the dealer. As it stands, even when you pass a background, if you commit a crime with the gun, the ATF will be so far up the dealer's pooper you are pretty much shut down.

Last Edited:
Which is insane to me as a dealer. If I turn over the firearm, then you pop up denied, I'm basically done. No way i'd risk the business because you were delayed and wanted your gun. I understand that people are delayed for no reason constantly, but it's just too much of a liability for the dealer. As it stands, even when you pass a background, if you commit a crime with the gun, the ATF will be so far up the dealer's pooper you are pretty much shut down.

Not being a dealer I can't speak with experience as to why they release without a determination, my guess would be that the dealers are following the law as they see it, which is, if no answer within 3 days then they are allowed to release. If that's what the law says, and it apparently does, then it seems like a pretty good defense: "I did what the law said".

From the perspective of having this done at least two times in my experience it seems odd that Oregon doesn't do the same. I wonder if the laws are different in each state, with Oregon without that 3-day provision (?). I'd assumed that this was a Federal law- maybe it isn't.

Not being a dealer I can't speak with experience as to why they release without a determination, my guess would be that the dealers are following the law as they see it, which is, if no answer within 3 days then they are allowed to release. If that's what the law says, and it apparently does, then it seems like a pretty good defense: "I did what the law said".

From the perspective of having this done at least two times in my experience it seems odd that Oregon doesn't do the same. I wonder if the laws are different in each state, with Oregon without that 3-day provision (?). I'd assumed that this was a Federal law- maybe it isn't.

The answer is in, as I recall, the ATF manual for FFL's. Basically it states that an FFL has the option, but not the requirement, to release a gun after 3 days. But as @Norm0931 has already stated, that puts a potential liability on the dealer - so they are taking on a potentially huge risk by releasing it to you after 3 days. From what I've heard from others, many, if not most, FFL's won't take that risk on your behalf.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top