JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have not seen the NRA take a stance that I thought was "supporting the 2nd" in my lifetime.

From Business Insider The NRA Has Been Outstandingly Successful Where It Really Counts

"A review of the NRA legislation news page has shown that the organization has had at least 230 full legislative victories on the state level in the past ten years alone."

From Wikipedia National Rifle Association - Wikipedia

"In November 2005, the NRA and other gun advocates filed a lawsuit challenging San Francisco Proposition H, which banned the ownership and sales of firearms. The NRA argued that the proposition overstepped local government authority and intruded into an area regulated by the state. The San Francisco County Superior Court agreed with the NRA position.[114] The city appealed the court's ruling, but lost a 2008 appeal.[115] In October 2008, San Francisco was forced to pay a $380,000 settlement to the National Rifle Association and other plaintiffs to cover the costs of litigating Proposition H.[116]

In April 2006, New Orleans, Louisiana, police began returning to citizens guns that had been confiscated after Hurricane Katrina. The NRA, Second Amendment Foundation(SAF), and other groups agreed to drop a lawsuit against the city in exchange for the return.[117]

While the NRA filed an amicus brief with the Supreme Court in the 2008 landmark gun rights case of District of Columbia v Heller.[118] In a 5 to 4 vote, the Supreme Court ruled that the District of Columbia's gun laws were unconstitutional, and for the first time held that an individual's right to a gun was unconnected to service in a militia.[72][119] Some legal scholars believe that the NRA was influential in altering the public's interpretation of the Second Amendment, providing the foundation for the majority's opinion in Heller.[119][120]

In 2009 the NRA again filed suit (Guy Montag Doe v. San Francisco Housing Authority) in the city of San Francisco challenging the city's ban of guns in public housing. On January 14, 2009, the San Francisco Housing Authority reached a settlement with the NRA, which allows residents to possess legal firearms within a SFHA apartment building.[121]

In 2010, the NRA sued the city of Chicago, Illinois (McDonald v. Chicago) and the Supreme Court ruled that like other substantive rights, the right to bear arms is incorporated via the Fourteenth Amendment to the Bill of Rights, and therefore applies to the states.[122][123]

In March 2013, the NRA joined a federal lawsuit with other gun rights groups challenging New York's gun control law (the NY SAFE Act), arguing that Governor Andrew Cuomo"usurped the legislative and democratic process" in passing the law, which included restrictions on magazine capacity and expanding the state's assault weapons ban.[124]

In November 2013, voters in Sunnyvale, California, passed an ordinance banning certain ammunition magazines along with three other firearm-related restrictions. The ordinance was passed by 66 percent in favor.[125] The ordinance requires city residents to "dispose, donate, or sell" any magazine capable of holding more than ten rounds within a proscribed period of time once the measure takes effect.[126] The following month, the NRA joined local residents in suing the city on second amendment grounds.[125] A federal judge dismissed the suit three months later, upholding the Sunnyvale's ordinance.[127][128]

The city of San Francisco then passed similar ordinances a short time later. The San Francisco Veteran Police Officers Association (SFVPOA), represented by NRA attorneys, filed a lawsuit challenging San Francisco's ban on the possession of high-capacity magazines, seeking an injunction.[129] A federal judge denied the injunction in February 2014.[127][130]

In 2014 the NRA lobbied for a bill in Pennsylvania which grants it and other advocacy groups legal standing to sue municipalities to overturn local firearm regulations passed in violation of a state law preempting such regulations, and which also allows the court to force cities to pay their legal fees. As soon as it became law, the NRA sued three cities: Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, and Lancaster. In Philadelphia, seven regulations the NRA sued to overturn included a ban on gun possession by those found to be a risk for harming themselves or others, and a requirement to report stolen guns to the police within twenty-four hours after discovery of the loss or theft.[131] In Lancaster, a city of fewer than 60,000, mayor Rick Gray, who has chaired the pro-gun control group Mayors Against Illegal Guns, was also named in the suit. In that city, the NRA challenged an ordinance requiring gun owners to tell police when a firearm is lost or stolen within 72 hours or face jail time.[132] The basis for the lawsuits is "a 1974 state law that bars municipalities against passing restrictions that are pre-empted by state gun laws". At least 20 Pennsylvania municipalities have rescinded regulations in response to threatened litigation.[133][134]"

The NRA is indeed a flawed organization, just as is ANY organization involving humans. That said, the NRA is still our best hope to fight against the antis. The best approach is to support and influence he NRA, not throw them away in disgust.

Thank you all. I was not sure the NRA again went the extra mile to destroy the Second Amendment. I cut up my NRA card into tiny pieces and mailed it back to them ... way back in 1968. The 1968 Gun Control Act. Yep.

What is happening here is the old frog in the hot water trick. Or the remaining Jewish people who kept justifying to themselves that Hitler was not so bad. You NRA member defenders have lost control of your own NRA.

Just me. Respectfully.

Last Edited:
Important Note:
The Pre-Charlton Heston NRA and before.

Tad history, the NRA was never established to protect the 2nd Amendment or Gun Rights.
It was created for training and safety.
The NRA assisted Roosevelt in drafting the 1934 National Firearms Act and the 1938 Gun Control Act, the first federal gun control laws. These laws placed heavy taxes and regulation requirements on firearms that were associated with crime, such as machine guns, sawed-off shotguns and silencers. Gun sellers and owners were required to register with the federal government and felons were banned from owning weapons. Not only was the legislation unanimously upheld by the Supreme Court in 1939, but Karl T. Frederick, the president of the NRA, testified before Congress stating, "I have never believed in the general practice of carrying weapons. I do not believe in the general promiscuous toting of guns. I think it should be sharply restricted and only under licenses."
Not until the 1960's was a platform of protecting rights established but limited !
Using the NRA or any LOBBY....... as a stepping stone to defend our rights is foolish, use them as a tool.
Not the only tool. The list goes on to many other laws the NRA would help define to limit our access. The NRA is not doing anything they have not already done or worse.

Someday, people will wake up and see what was really going on in this country.
In side note the FBI was at one point more pro-gun then the NRA ...

This thread further exemplifies how gun owners are split among themselves better than it does show how the NRA is good or bad in the current political climate.

This thread further exemplifies how gun owners are split among themselves better than it does show how the NRA is good or bad in the current political climate.

True. Plenty of gun owners are just fine with this, even encouraged it. Gun owners can be their own worst enemies at times. Just like the Republican party, they can never work together toward a common goal. Too much individuality. Gun owners could learn something from hard-core leftists and antis - until they ALL learn to work together to fight for the common goal of protected gun rights, we'll just keep getting picked off, one piece at a time.

The exec order can immediately be challenged as it creates an ex-post facto situation and does not compensate the citizen for mandating a deprivation of physical property. We'll see who jumps on this. Or, is it a move toward class III status and federal fees?

As a gun owner and life long member of the NRA, I'm mixed on this. I'm also mad as hell for the NRA and Trump to cave on this issue.

I feel very betrayed by the NRA. VERY betrayed. And betrayed by Trump.

I am and continue to be an ardent Trump supporter, but admit I'm fuming mad about this betrayal as well. A total broken promise.

But the NRA and Trump are our biggest advocates.

What do we do??? What do we do when our friends sell us out???

* Note, I've never fired, held, or owned a bump stock and see them as a relatively useless and impractical novelty but one that must be protected. It's really a terrible precedent that just because 1 human did something really bad with bumpstocks then the law is ignored and entire classes of items are banned without any real due process or change in the law...

We have to play the long game. That means we will win some and lose some and must pick our battles. It also means we don't throw away the organization that has done more to protect 2A rights than ANY organization ever.

Perhaps if everyone who has resigned the NRA in protest stayed and advocated for them, the NRA would be much larger and better able to fight for lesser issues like bump stocks.

The NRA hasn't done diddly chit as far as I can tell. They have sold serious 2A supporters down the river to protect and appease fudds at every turn.

All they do well is provide a scapegoat to keep the pressure off SAF and GOA which is where my money goes .

Ending one's NRA membership because they don't always do everything they way we like is very similar to sawing off the branch one is sitting on.
Nah just continue to support an organization that is now a business and sees its members as sources of income without standing up for thier rights as promised. Screw the NRA.

After eight years of a democratic president who did minimal gun control it took less than two years with a Republican president and the NRA to enact national gun control. Who is the real gun control party?

Please...lets not turn this into a :
Republican vs. Democrat...
Conservative vs, Liberal...
Us vs, Them...
Etc...
Thread.

We have folks out there who don't like guns or gun ownership....they come in all flavors , parties and places...
Not one group / party has a squeaky clean , sterling pure , reputation for standing up for guns or gun owners.
Andy

After eight years of a democratic president who did minimal gun control it took less than two years with a Republican president and the NRA to enact national gun control. Who is the real gun control party?

As I have said in this group, maybe a dozen times. Follow the money.
Democrats across the United States, have huge investments in ammo and firearms manufacturing. This is nothing new and is been going on for very long time. Think about it. When a Democrat is in power, Republicans citizens panic, with the guide of lobbyists like OFF and the NRA. Firearms sales increase tenfold over a Republican in power. Democrats make huge profits, when a Democrat is in power. As we buy more firearms more ammo and increase their bottom line. With the help of lobbyist like OFF and the NRA fueling hatred towards the opposition when they are in power. This creates the perfect storm. Nothing is ever as it seems, someday we are going to understand what this actually means. Follow the money it all makes sense, it's not conspiracy, it's capitalism. Money power and influence is the only drive anybody in politics has, I don't care if they're lobbyist, or a politician. That is how power is attained, and by influence, and money they retain it..... it's that simple.

By the way, I am not picking on Republicans or Democrats. They are both responsible for the mess were in. So I was trying to keep this from being political it was just an overview of how this takes place and why. It's simple capitalism. Yes the bump stocks passing, had nothing to do with gun rights, had to do with influence and power.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top