JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
There have been 3 different prison breaks in Italy where they had to call out the army in attempts to round up the escapees. There have also been riots in Iran and food shortages in a number of countries. There's the correlation.

That is very possible too. For me it is easy to see there are zero cases near me so I don't have to fear going out in public. I guess if you were in an area with a high concentration of cases of the virus it may make sense to stock up just to avoid being in public places.

Unfortunately by the time there are a number of positive cases it's already late in the game. It's an iceberg type scenario where the positive tests are the tip; you're not seeing the actual number of people walking around shedding the virus. With SARS (also a coronavirus) the only people who were infectious were symptomatic. With this virus carriers are infectious in the pre-symptomatic stage and the mean latency period is 12.5 days.

Not trying to be a doomer, but I've been following the developments abroad since first week January, long before any media hype reached our shores. I heard there was computer modeling done that estimated 6,600 cases in Seattle and this was in mid Febuary.

I can't pass a bargain
300 rounds of Winchester 230 gr ball ammo for $90 at Bi-Mart

I can't recall my last internet order Local shops around here have prices frequently as good as and occasionally better than the interwebs. I am willing to pay a little more for instant gratification, but since the internet sellers started charging sales tax, I've preferred to give the local shops my business.

I think it is a two fold thing.

Two-fold???

TP rationing can go to hell...I'm using a big old wad each wipe...

It's times like these when I'm reminded why I prefer to roll my own.

1584071327100.png

Guilty. Nothing to do with the virus. I didn't need it at all, but price was too good to pass on. I picked up ~6000 assorted rounds this week. Probably another 10k earlier in the year. Prices are just irresistible.
At Cabela's prices have crept up. The cheapest 9mm I saw online at Cabela's was $10 a box. Bimart did have some 9mm Winchester for $90 per 500 in plastic ammo box.

No issues finding ammo at normal prices! 1000 CCI #10 "Magnum" primers, $80, standard's @$7.99 for 100! Bullets are running $8.99 per 100 on up!
Most standard chamberings are at normal prices, and no shortages as of today, and no purchase limits!

We should be encouraging panic buying, the stores are going to be suffering soon if they aren't already.

Edit: and try to spread some of that panic buying around to small businesses. They are going to suffer a lot.

Last Edited:
We should be encouraging panic buying, the stores are going to be suffering soon if they aren't already.
I shop almost daily and so far at least here the stores seem to be doing great. So well they are starting to limit how much of some stuff you can buy. Several stores here are now offering a service where you shop online, pull up a little later, call them, and they bring the stuff to your car. Really not sure what all the panic is about. If they decide they do not want the hordes in the store people can just shop this way. The places being really hurt with this panic are service industry, restaurants, theaters, theme parks and such. Now they are taking a big hit from this.

At Cabela's prices have crept up. The cheapest 9mm I saw online at Cabela's was $10 a box. Bimart did have some 9mm Winchester for $90 per 500 in plastic ammo box.
Hence why most of us stopped shooping at Cabelas. Merging with Bass pro was the worst thing they could have done. Bass pro has done nothing but raise prices and otherwise hose the people who used to shop there. I still have a CC there but rarely use it anymore. Used to be the 5% off meant I was paying pretty close to what I could get online. Not anywhere close anymore. I have occasionally picked up 1 or two things that I wanted to test but otherwise I go looking for the heck of it but rarely buy anything.

As to the OP, I'm guilty bought about 5K rounds over the last week. Snagged a bunch HST for fellow firearms guys and working on some trades so snapped up so decently prices 357 and 38. Shipping is running about 2-3 days behind right now.

I think gun owners rushing out to buy ammo because of the virus makes us all look like a bunch of frantic pansies. It the virus gets that bad like are you really going to need the ammo to fight off a bunch of sick and dying people? Come on, really? Food will still grow, farmers usually live away from mass populations It won't be safe to go to the grocery store but Amazon will deliver.

good deals on primers in that sale. Not sure what selection is remaining but Cabela's will match what they have in stock at SW stores with in 100 miles
You and your cabelas price match... :s0114:
I refuse to buy from them until their prices come down to be competitive. It helps they're few and far between.
Their fishing section also sucks, so it doesn't encourage me to shop there either. Also, there's Northwest Armory and Fisherman's Marine close to the only cabelas near me.
Yup... cabelas can do without my business until they make it worth the extra drive.

I think gun owners rushing out to buy ammo because of the virus makes us all look like a bunch of frantic pansies. It the virus gets that bad like are you really going to need the ammo to fight off a bunch of sick and dying people? Come on, really? Food will still grow, farmers usually live away from mass populations It won't be safe to go to the grocery store but Amazon will deliver.
People buy because they see others cleaning out shelves. Many, I mean MANY were caught with their pants down a few years ago when a panic got started. These kind of panics feed off themselves. Once they start they tend to take off. Many who got caught off guard last time want to make sure it does not happen again. So rather than keeping a good stock when ammo came back, many went back to buying it as they need. Now they see and hear a rush is on so they fear the shelves may empty again. Human nature I guess.

I just wanted some 115gr for my P365 and my P226 only shoots 124gr... sue me for wanting to buy range ammo with some of my tax refund!

Wife came home from work today as I was moving stuff around to put a case of .22 away to tell me she had just filled out the papers to buy yet another gun and one of her sisters was with her. This is a person who has always been SUPER anti gun. All of a sudden she wants to buy a gun. Told Wife I would be glad to take her to the range with me and let her try some stuff to decide what she wants. I guess all this "Panic" is making her rethink her "no one should own a gun" idea's :D:D

Hence why most of us stopped shopping at Cabelas. Merging with Bass pro was the worst thing they could have done. Bass pro has done nothing but raise prices and otherwise hose the people who used to shop there. I still have a CC there but rarely use it anymore.

Completely agree. My Cabela's CC has moss growing on it.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top