JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have mixed feelings about this. I'm pleased to see evidence of people who formerly were apparently of the opinion that they didn't need or want a firearm change their opinion and gun up. It's likely that at least some of them will think differently in the future. On the other hand, I doubt most of them are taking their new purchase seriously, and backing it with adequate care, training, practice, and so on. I fear the likely surge in mishaps that might be coming our way. I also find my ongoing routine purchasing activities negatively impacted by a bunch of people who I'm tempted to claim barely know which end is the pointy end. So that's making me a bit grouchier than usual. No small trick.

For the past couple of years, I've been liquidating a large part of my own holdings. Private sales were fairly slow before the virus. Since March, I've sold at least 20 pieces. Since everything has to go on paper now, it takes time. But the virus and then the violence accellerated the process, certainly. Same dynamic for ammo and reloading equipment and components. Now Mrs. Merkt won't have to deal with so much of it after I croak.

Not to surprising considering all the tensions in society now. Here's hoping more people "get it" with respect to why we have the 2A; if that happens, this is a net win. I have seen anecdotal signs of that happening, including from people I would have never though would understand the necessity of the RKBA.

Personally, we've kind of done the opposite this year. Since the outbreaks, I've already dumped something like a half dozen or so guns, with at least one more definitely getting sold. (Though I did acquire a new handgun and have another silencer in the pipeline.) Refining and focusing the collection, so to speak, and clearing space and rolling the funds into other investments or to cover expenses. I'm taking a good hard look at some other items too, but haven't made a call on it yet. Put another way, bases covered, increasingly bored with the topic, so why not shake it up a little. To each their own.

I also haven't bought anything in a while as I'm happy with what I have. What I need is more time to shoot.

The BG delays are making it very hard to sell anything. Nobody wants to make two trips to the FFL. I completely understand this but it's also frustrating. Cabelas has a sale on a rifle I want, but I also don't want to make two trips to Tualatin in rush hour traffic.. It's seems like they could hire more help in the BG check dept.. Almost like they're slowing things down on purpose.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top