JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reports says he purchased the rifle in Nevada then returned to CA.

Some news articles and social media saying he was Iranian-American.
Dad died last year, he worked for the county, and his brother is a boxer training for the 2020 Olympics.

Might be a misguided home grown radical, but it's too early to tell

My "new approach" would partially* consist of :

Looking at existing laws and regulations and seeing just what works and doesn't...Perhaps keeping those that work and getting rid of those that don't...

Enforcing of the laws and regulations that we already have in place...

Better communication channels , so information is not "lost" between agencies , regarding things like a Background Check...

A re-vamping of our mental health system...
The , to best we can , taking away the stigma of mental health issues , and those who seek help ...

A long , hard look , at just why : I am angry , I need to hurt or kill someone ..
Seems to be an acceptable answer to what ails someone ...and why it is is accepted at some levels of society...

A non-political , elective , free or low cost firearms class...
A class that just focuses on :
Safe firearm handling...
Firearms ID...
How a Firearm works...
Basic Ballistics...

*Sorry for the long answer...and I say partially here , just 'cause my thoughts here change , depending on the situation and when a new idea forms....
Andy

@AndyinEverson for President 2020!

I'd run on the "Laxative Party" ticket...'Cause I actually give a sh!t....:D
Andy
I will Vote for Andy!

I live in Oregon, so unfortunately my vote will be largely symbolic.

Andy should run for President as a Democrat. I mean he could potentially fit the bill for a D. Would give him the whole west coast and North East. His support for gun owners would win him the red states. He could unify this country in ways not seen since Reagan.

A unified country ...moving forward together , separately ...as in we may have differences in just what we want or how we get there...
But there is a "We" and a working together to move our country as a whole , forward ...
A understanding of different views , yet also a understanding that one's particular different view , isn't "right" for all , nor may be needed for the betterment of our country as a whole...

And I will stop there as I do not wish to derail the thread , nor break a forum rule....
Andy

A unified country ...moving forward together , separately ...as in we may have differences in just what we want or how we get there...
But there is a "We" and a working together to move our country as a whole , forward ...
A understanding of different views , yet also a understanding that one's particular different view , isn't "right" for all , nor may be needed for the betterment of our country as a whole...

And I will stop there as I do not wish to derail the thread , nor break a forum rule....
Andy

ERRRR MA GAWD!!! He is making sense and being reasonable! Get Him!

...A re-vamping of our mental health system...
The , to best we can , taking away the stigma of mental health issues , and those who seek help ...

A long , hard look , at just why : I am angry , I need to hurt or kill someone ..
Re the above, it seems to me that is where the anti-gun folks energies could do the most good, addressing the "cause" and "mental health" side of things.

When they try to control guns they r simply addressing the tool used by the mentally ill person and as several others said above, that could easily switch to some other tool whether it be bombs, knives, whatever.

But if they spent their energy on how to help poeple before they get to that point of doing violence they would be actually doing some good. Their energy would be spent on something constructive (helping) rather than fighting.

I hate reading stories like this.
The oft repeated phrase " thoughts and prayers go out to the families and victims" , while still meaningful and sent from the heart , is heard too often.
That will not stop me from taking a moment and doing so...

To be at a family friendly gathering , enjoying life and your loved ones , only to shot at , is horrific...to lose a loved ones life that way is tragedy , I wish upon no one.
So , my thoughts and prayers do go out to all who have been affected by yesterdays shooting.

I would ask those out there , who would use this crime as another reason why guns , ammo and certain firearm accessories to have more bans , laws or requirements to consider this :

Yesterday I was out shooting in a area open to the public...I came across at two different popular shooting spots a total of four different folks , enjoying their day , safely , while shooting...
I heard more people shooting in yet other areas....
No one was harmed ...

I point this out , so as to show that many more folks enjoy and use firearms safely , than those criminals who misuse firearms.
When laws , bans , requirements are made...they mostly affect the folks who are not the problem...but at the same time do little to nothing to stop a criminal or criminal action.
Andy

Choir, this is Andy... :p

A long , hard look , at just why : I am angry , I need to hurt or kill someone seems to be an acceptable answer to what ails someone ...and why it is is accepted at some levels of society...

IDK, trends, copycatting, hate grows, bullying, 15 min, going out in a blaze, cheapening of life... and the list goes on. Now that you know, what do you do about it?

his brother is a boxer training for the 2020 Olympics.

Last I read, they were looking for this brother. Even if he is not an accessory, his Olympic dreams are probably gone.

Dad died last year, he worked for the county, and his brother is a boxer training for the 2020 Olympics.

We know he wasnt a Vampire.:p

I wonder if a "AK style SKS rifle" is a tricked out SKS with items like a aftermarket 30 round magazine and or a folding stock...etc..
Items which may already be banned in California...Hm....
Andy

I agree it's a huge deterrent. Would this be less likely to happen in an Idaho or TX crowd where it would be well known there may be a lot of armed good guys? I think so. Also just use the Portland Clackamas mall shooting as an example of how less people can get hurt with a CHL around:

View attachment 604265

That part of the story got buried pretty quick and NEVER comes up in the anniversary reminders.

The news is reporting the gun was legally purchased 9 July in Nevada. Given California's AWB and the recent age restriction to 21 (shooter is 19), either somebody screwed up or this story hasn't been properly vetted.

The San Jose Mercury News is hinting the Nevada Gun Laws (or lack thereof) are the real culprit in this case:

"Nevada, on the other hand, has far looser rules. Nevada law allows residents 18 and older to purchase assault rifles from licensed firearm dealers after passing a background check, and currently doesn't require a check for sales between private individuals. A new law will change that to also mandate background checks for private sales or transfers, although it doesn't go into effect until next year."

"A UC Berkeley study in 2017 found that in the two weeks after gun shows take place in Nevada, there's a corresponding spike in gun-related deaths and injuries across the state line in California."

"This shooting shows that the lax gun control states contribute to deaths in the most serious gun control states," said John Donohue, a Stanford law professor who studies gun violence. "It really is shameful that we're surrounded by states that don't take this seriously."

The news is reporting the gun was legally purchased 9 July in Nevada. Given California's AWB and the recent age restriction to 21 (shooter is 19), either somebody screwed up or this story hasn't been properly vetted.

I read that he had been living in NV at the time.

Might also have been a PO'd vampire. Just my .02

We know he wasnt a Vampire.:p

Vampire? Nah I think he played for the other team.

The San Jose Mercury News is hinting the Nevada Gun Laws (or lack thereof) are the real culprit in this case:

"Nevada, on the other hand, has far looser rules. Nevada law allows residents 18 and older to purchase assault rifles from licensed firearm dealers after passing a background check, and currently doesn't require a check for sales between private individuals. A new law will change that to also mandate background checks for private sales or transfers, although it doesn't go into effect until next year."

"A UC Berkeley study in 2017 found that in the two weeks after gun shows take place in Nevada, there's a corresponding spike in gun-related deaths and injuries across the state line in California."

"This shooting shows that the lax gun control states contribute to deaths in the most serious gun control states," said John Donohue, a Stanford law professor who studies gun violence. "It really is shameful that we're surrounded by states that don't take this seriously."

And when firearms were illegal in Chiraq, they whined about them coming in from surrounding areas... cry me a river!

The drumbeat for uniform state laws across the board by Exucutive Order of the next D president has already begun. So much for state sovereignity (sp).

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews