JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Two things.

If you can't find someone's address, you aren't using the correct search terms.

Second, pretty much every post from every forum on the net is available if you search hard enough. Most things are indexed automatically by web crawlers from Google, etc. However, there are ways to hide sections of forums from the web crawlers, if the time is taken to set them up properly.

The bottom line is this: Expect everything you type to be searchable on the internet, unless you KNOW and have CONFIRMED otherwise.

If you sell bulk .22 for $100/500, you deserve to be marked for life.. not saying about anyone here but just saying.
I believe you have it backwards, that person should be a salesman with accolades; If you buy .22 for $100/500, you deserve to be marked for life.. not saying about anyone here but just saying

I always assume anything I post online in a forum or other site that's open to the public, that anyone and everyone will be able to see it - forever. Now, I don't know, other than a handful of people would really care about my thoughts or information, but for that reason, I remain cautious about what I say and do online. At work, we have a rule - don't put anything in an email that you wouldn't be comfortable if it were made public. I would proceed online with caution and just assume you don't have any real privacy. It's not an NWFA issue - it's an internet issue.

I work in a corporate environment and have learned to do the same. I have typed things in response to people here that include personal experiences and then my better judgement has kicked in and deleted what I was going to post for the world to see. It is hard to remember as there are not that many people that write responses but if you happen to look at the views it is a much much higher number.
New people here that try to lowball or tell you how much your gun is worth due to their stupidity and watching to much barter kings or pawn stars annoy the heck out of all of us. I wish there was a way to make it so random people could not go to the for sale section but as new members are good in many ways it is a catch 22. I just do not sell to anyone that has no comments or feedback. Once they have made it clear they are a member here by participating in at least conversation or selling something of their own to get feedback I will deal with them. Been burned too many times by folks that just show up and make insane offers or real offers and never follow through.

Big brother is watching! I would never say something like shoot a wolf if you see one but I have said shoot, shovel, shush. What am I referring too? Beats me! :)

in addition to reading the posts there are 6 trackers here (google x2, facebook, twitter and 2 ad sites)

The two ad sites (adzerk and and Viglink) are sites that track your browsing and sell it to 3rd parties.

I believe there is a way to block robots and spiders from crawling your site. You just have to add some code. That would nice for some privacy. But it would take away from promoting Joe's website. Like what is said above. Anything on the net is forever!

I believe there is a way to block robots and spiders from crawling your site. You just have to add some code. That would nice for some privacy. But it would take away from promoting Joe's website. Like what is said above. Anything on the net is forever!

"Hiding" this site is not the answer. This site is to PROMOTE the firearms community and the second amendment. I am not sure who we are trying to hide it from. I want people to know this community exists. I want people to be able to read the forums and see the POSITIVE work we do and how we promote ownership. I am not hiding from anyone, and if the time ever comes to hide, hiding is the last thing I'll do.

If you search for "hunter holster 1100-69" and then look at your results you'll find my eBay ad for that holster and a soft case listed also on texasquailhunt.net and shopozz.ru. I didn't list them there, and the ads there refer back to eBay if you click on them. I think they are just trying to drive traffic.

This is becoming very common all over the net - stealing other sites content (posts, ads and all) in order to drive search traffic, and ad and affiliate revenue. The robots are pretty dumb so they just scoop up everything. It actually has a cost to Joe because they create way more server load than a human does.

And most of these SEO robot ignore the robots.txt file so they can't be easily blocked without locking down the whole forum. :(

Ok, I amend my earlier statement that Knowledge is power. When it comes to the workings of the internet, Knowledge is skeery! I think I'd like to go back to libraries, paper catalogues and snail mail please. I'm going to go dust off an Elmer Keith book and relax on the porch.

Privacy already exists on this site. Make sure your user name is not your actual name and don't put any personal information into your posts and you're good to go. If you accept PM's only for ads, then individuals have to sign up for the site to attempt business with you. I'm certain it can get more secure and/or private than that, but not by much.

if you look at the "members online now" section below the ads on the right you see this:
Total: 251 (members: 74, guests: 137, robots: 40)

40 different robots with recent activity on the site. These are like google, downloading and saving everything onto there servers for fast searching.
While true, this doesn't have to be.

First, a website can specify settings in their robots.txt config file to tell robots that the website requests the web crawler logic not search all or part of the website. Most search engines respect these settings.

Second, a website, including forums, can take further steps to prevent web crawlers from searching parts of the website, and this is especially true of dynamic content. Most forums present dynamic content to some degree - i.e., the pages with the forum posts are not static pages, the forum software makes a request from a database, and then creates the posts as dynamic content.

If a forum wants to protect its content, it can.

as I understand it, so correct me if I'm wrong but...

The search you do on your computer is not the same search anyone else does. Its highly influenced by your web history, settings, and cookies etc. If you Google your NWFA ad you will find your ad probably near the top. Not the same for someone else who's never visited the site. Try deleting your cookies, history and all other content then see what search results you get. Also, if you use Google Chrome browser and do anything while logged into Google (gmail, Google+, Picasa, Panoramio), Google keeps a cookie and history log on their servers that does NOT show up in your browser history. I think this is also true if you search from any other browser while logged into Google. Its not easy to find, but you can delete all Google server history.

If you don't want your web searches to be tracked use the search engine duckduckgo.com.

Ultimately, anything you put on the web can be found later even if you delete it. It never really goes away it just gets harder to search and find.

Lastly, your not really "posting" here your publishing. Im not really certain I understand the legalities but when we participate in a forum such as this its easy to view it as a conversation similar to a live conversation in person. But in reality its not, its forever "published" and thus searchable and yes you are liable for everything you say or post.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top