JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I had a query for specs on an item I have up for sale in the non firearm ads. Since I was not home, I decided to look it up on the internet to expedite their request. Low and behold there was my ad from NWFA, which I was not happy to see. I realize little is private any more; I don't intentionally reach out beyond my comfort zone very far. I do not participate in any of the internet social media and so far shunned Craig's list and other internet selling formats.
Through lack of forethought, and quite possibly selfishness, I have become comfortable with the eclectic sort here @ NWFA and wish the site success increasing membership albeit only on the existing regional scale, which ultimately helps all of us out when selling.
It is becoming overwhelmingly apparent I may have entered the lair unprepared and quite possibly with the same check out rules as the hotel California.
Of course I realize the forum itself is open to whoever seeks similar venues out on the internet and thereby, by extension, my ad also, but I apparently, naively believed nonmembers must navigate a labyrinth of levels and then stumble upon my ads which I was reluctant to tolerate.
I'm assuming then, along with my ads, every written word intended for NFWA pier's, including this, may also be separately indexed and perused by the rest of the world without directly entering the NFWA forum.
Is this the progress of man to walk naked in the universe or is it still possible to benefit from the power and knowledge of the internet whilst living relatively secluded within a local, regional community?
Whether the increased exposure is intentional or accidental, is there no way to individually opt of automatic exposure beyond the forum? (other than NFWA abstinence.)

Other forums I've been a part of all had a stipulation that you were a member of the board in order to access the classified sections.

But yea, anything and everything you type is out there forever. Just the way it is if you want to play on the net.

I think a setting where ads are private and open only to forum members with x anounts of posts via NWFA with an option to limit new members access would be nice.
(not sure how that would work)

Lots of new members come on here with little to no respect for the seller, the item, the forum or firearms community. Low balling is one thing but their attitude and the fact that they try and belittle your item in the hopes you'll become insecure and drop the price is infuriating.

That and the new guys that dont read a thing in the ad:
*Price is firm
*Will not part out
*Will not ship
*Must be local

Anyhow, for the utmost privacy Id avoid the net altogether.

Yep, that's just the way it is. It's not Joe's fault, nor the fault of anyone here. It's the nature of the internet. I don't mean this to be accusing or putting you down, but it sounds like you were a little naive and your eyes have now been opened.

I always assume anything I post online in a forum or other site that's open to the public, that anyone and everyone will be able to see it - forever. Now, I don't know, other than a handful of people would really care about my thoughts or information, but for that reason, I remain cautious about what I say and do online. At work, we have a rule - don't put anything in an email that you wouldn't be comfortable if it were made public. I would proceed online with caution and just assume you don't have any real privacy. It's not an NWFA issue - it's an internet issue.

Yep, that's just the way it is. It's not Joe's fault, nor the fault of anyone here. It's the nature of the internet. I don't mean this to be accusing or putting you down, but it sounds like you were a little naive and your eyes have now been opened.
I'm not offended by your comments nor am I naïve just lack understanding. (Besides, I'm not likely to be overly critical of one who appreciated Tom McCall.) I know this forum is open. What I don't understand is how my ad moves beyond this form to a separate line item in an internet search. Since much of what I search for I can't find or comes up expired or some body wants to charge me for the information I seek. How is that info closed unless one pays, while other is not. hypothetically; For instants I'm looking for Joe Blows address; rarely can I come up with it free, yet everyone with dealings with him,friends, government schools, business, banks have used the internet to deal with him yet that info doesn't seem to be readily available to me yet my ad pops right up when looking for the tool I'm selling. A few other forums I've been linked to when searching things I cant get past the home page without signing up and others the home page fuzzes out in 30 seconds if I don't. that info doesn't seem available.What's really Ironic is if I wanted to link my ad in a general internet search to this forum I don't know how or if it is even possible to do.

if you look at the "members online now" section below the ads on the right you see this:
Total: 251 (members: 74, guests: 137, robots: 40)

40 different robots with recent activity on the site. These are like google, downloading and saving everything onto there servers for fast searching.

If you search for "hunter holster 1100-69" and then look at your results you'll find my eBay ad for that holster and a soft case listed also on texasquailhunt.net and shopozz.ru. I didn't list them there, and the ads there refer back to eBay if you click on them. I think they are just trying to drive traffic.

The "internet" is a two edged sword.. if you want anonymity, pay cash for an ad, in person (or you could use a pre-paid cash card perhaps.. that you paid for with cash), using a drop phone for the contact# in the Nickel Ads or something.

if you look at the "members online now" section below the ads on the right you see this:
Total: 251 (members: 74, guests: 137, robots: 40)

40 different robots with recent activity on the site. These are like google, downloading and saving everything onto there servers for fast searching.
I asked Joe one time what a robot was, but likely due to there being several questions, got no answer on that. Now I know, thank you. Knowledge is power!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top