JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Let's see,
2rounds to stop with a 9, minimum. 1round to stop with a 45. Seems to be pretty simple math to me.

Oh yeah, the fancy ammo argument. Can you practice with buck a round ammo? I didn't think so.

Let's see,
2rounds to stop with a 9, minimum. 1round to stop with a 45. Seems to be pretty simple math to me.

There are countless examples out there of one .45 round NOT stopping the threat. To think otherwise is incredibly naive. Actually betting or counting on a one round stop with pistol ammo...or any ammo for that matter...may get you killed.

Ok, I'll grant you that. But if you look at the number of instances of one round being unable to stop a threat, pretty sure 9MM would stand out over 45.

Been married 3x's . So I may be a little naive about some things.

Ok, I'll grant you that. But if you look at the number of instances of one round being unable to stop a threat, pretty sure 9MM would stand out over 45.

Been married 3x's . So I may be a little naive about some things.

Hahahahahahaha! I'm laughing with you, not at you. I've never made it down the aisle. Pulled the rip cord on my last relationship/engagement after the night I took HER mother to the E.R. because she had more important things to do...going out for drinks with her girlfriend. I'm slow/naive too...but I get there. ;)

For 9 vs 45 there is no "better," there are only pros and cons of each round. 9mm is lower recoil and more capacity but smaller wound channel. 45 acp is greater wound channel but with less rounds and more recoil. 9mm has gotten markedly better over the years but 45 has too. I'm not going to argue with anyone for their choice...unless it's .380 because that's just silly. :D

BTW...most days I carry .45. :)

Let's see,

Oh yeah, the fancy ammo argument. Can you practice with buck a round ammo? I didn't think so.

Oh, stop your whining. Stats and real life don't back up your arguments here and in other threads. 9mm hollow points have about the same 90% or so ratio as do good loads in .45ACP. If you look at hardball, the .45 230gr FMJ drops to 62% while the 9mm 115gr FMJ hangs in at 70%.

.45ACP one stop shots with service ammo is generally an urban myth. I remember hearing that you could hit a BG anywhere with one and he will fall over with a lost limb, etc. It's just not even remotely true. There was a LEO in Vancouver WA that used his .45 service pistol on a BG and had 7-9 hits, if forget which, he even reloaded and banged him some more but the guy kept coming. The officer now uses 9mm because he can carry 45 or more rounds.

Fancy ammo stats are the same for both, and FMJ stats for .45 suck almost as much as .380ACP.

Regarding practice ammo and the whole "practice with what you carry" commandment is just more garbage that doesn't stand up to reality. My cheapo FMJ handloads shoot just like factory HP duty ammo. So it's not a factor. Just more baloney to argue about.

Last Edited:

Yuppers!!

"The Experts Opinion – In the first issue of Harris Publication's BALLISTIC magazine they did a survey of 19 well known firearms experts, myself included, asking what our preferred self-defense caliber was, the results were overwhelmingly 9mm. Top trainers like Ken Hackathorn, Larry Vickers, Mike Seeklander and Frank Proctor all have gravitated to 9mm. The fact that old die hard .45 guys like Hackathorn and Vickers are gravitating to 9mm tells us a lot."

I would bet the double stack 9mm 1911s are going to get popular. The price gets right and I will buy one.

And as accurate as my 1911s are, my 9s can carry 18, 20 and 21 rounds. Except for the little guy with 8.

I have one of the plastic .45s that holds 14. I do like the higher round count pistols.

1 well placed shot ! from either round should stop a fight. But i practice double tap just because.
Been thinking about a 10mm for a while now. But a good double stack 9mm 1911 !
I might really like it at around a grand. not 3000...tj

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top