JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A ramped barrel provides more chamber support at the base of the cartridge over a standard 1911 barrel. They are recommended for cartridges over 30K psi since the 1911 was designed for the 45 ACP @ 18k.

I've got an aluminum framed Ronin and have had zero feed issues with 9mm or .38 Super, both ramped barrels. As mentioned ramped barrels are used in aluminum framed 1911's so the frame doesn't take a beating. Also provides a fully supported chamber for those higher pressure rounds.
Same holds true for the 4.25" barreled Ronin in .45 ACP, ramped and fully supported chamber…

Ramped barrels solve the problem of the feed ramp getting beat up on aluminum frames also.

+1

Forgot that. They beat having one get damaged and paying a qualified smiff the money to machine the damaged ramp out and replace with a steel insert.

If I were to pick a manufacturer I think delivers a decent 1911 for a fair price in 9mm, I'd go with a Springfield, however they really hiked their prices. May not be such a fair deal anymore...
That Springfield Ronin is/was a touch over $800.00. Good looking gun, to us, but the trigger leaves a lot to be desired.
Kind of a let down when we already had a couple of FINE 9mm pistols in a CZ75 and a slightly higher-end Tanfoglio.

That Springfield Ronin is/was a touch over $800.00. Good looking gun, to us, but the trigger leaves a lot to be desired.
Kind of a let down when we already had a couple of FINE 9mm pistols in a CZ75 and a slightly higher-end Tanfoglio.
The Springfields I have left both retail at $1500 or above so that brand can get spendy quick. However, I've owned a few that were $5-600 as well. I think Springfield makes a nice pistol.

Tbh, I'm having a hard time finding what I'm looking for. The ones I want are all $750-$1050. So I think I'm gonna pass. I sure do like the tri-star (metro arms) guns and the Iver Johnson eagle xl 10mm though. I just wish it didn't cost so much. Cost puts it into another category for me.

Eagle XL

BA318078-C524-4D62-9C00-8D919A7F3DA4.jpeg

Tisas can be had for 3-400 for a basic model. Unlike the RIA they have forged frames and slides, and only one part is MIM unlike a lot of competitors, even more expensive american ones.
Yes. I have the Raider (M45 clone) and there is nothing wrong with it.

The next step up are probably Springfields and after that I haven't noticed a whole lot of difference until you get into the $1000+ range.

FWIW Auto Ordnance also makes a nice USGI 1911 right here in the USA. Price comparable with Springfield.

I respect high powers and it's cz-75 derivative but don't like the looks of either. Love the looks of cz-97 and Jericho that have full dust cover or whatever it's called. Jericho's ergos/how it fits in your hand are superb Imo. Have never found a gun with a more comfortable or natural grip. Mild trigger job brought the SA trigger down to 4 lbs. on mine.

I've always been curious how the Jericho shoots compared to a Hi-Power or CZ75. They are all three related designs. Between the CZ75 and the Hi-Power, the CZ shot better for me but I only kept the Hi-Power because history.

...I've always been curious how the Jericho shoots compared to a Hi-Power or CZ75. They are all three related designs. Between the CZ75 and the Hi-Power, the CZ shot better for me but I only kept the Hi-Power because history.
Good question. I would have to shoot them side by side to compare I think. One thing I don't like about Jericho is it has same trigger (same trigger I think) shape as cz 75. I don't care about the big curve (up and down) but I do care about the curve accross the trigger (left to right). I like a wide flat landing pad that makes it easy to have perfect trigger control. Sig p938 was like that (curved) and it drove me nuts until I put a wide flat trigger shoe on it. Now it's great. I haven't been able to find a cz 75 trigger shoe as yet. I wish all manufacturers had no curve (left to right) and had nice wide triggers. Makes a night and day difference to me. Love shooting the Jericho though other than that.

Good question. I would have to shoot them side by side to compare I think. One thing I don't like about Jericho is it has same trigger (same trigger I think) shape as cz 75. I don't care about the big curve (up and down) but I do care about the curve accross the trigger (left to right). I like a wide flat landing pad that makes it easy to have perfect trigger control. Sig p938 was like that (curved) and it drove me nuts until I put a wide flat trigger shoe on it. Now it's great. I haven't been able to find a cz 75 trigger shoe as yet. I wish all manufacturers had no curve (left to right) and had nice wide triggers. Makes a night and day difference to me. Love shooting the Jericho though other than that.
Excellent analysis. Triggers make an enormous difference. What is comfortable for one shooter may not be for another.

I have seen Girsan but are there any other ones out there? Having a Walther 1911 in .22 I'm astounded by the quality for a less than $300 firearm. So that got me wondering are there any other good quality 1911s out there in 9mm? Not interested in Taurus or 45ACP at this time. Possibly could go for a 10mm but most interested in 9mm.

This Walther blows me away. Same size and similar weight as regular 1911. Pic from internet cuz I'm too lazy to take good photo. Would love to find a 9mm equivalent of this if it exists (I know $ woudl be $400-$600 though probably).

If you want a 9mm in a single-action, why not check out a HiPower? Best design of it's type with a long and proven track record in war and peace.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews