JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have seen Girsan but are there any other ones out there? Having a Walther 1911 in .22 I'm astounded by the quality for a less than $300 firearm. So that got me wondering are there any other good quality 1911s out there in 9mm? Not interested in Taurus or 45ACP at this time. Possibly could go for a 10mm but most interested in 9mm.

This Walther blows me away. Same size and similar weight as regular 1911. Pic from internet cuz I'm too lazy to take good photo. Would love to find a 9mm equivalent of this if it exists (I know $ woudl be $400-$600 though probably).

Last Edited:
So far I'm finding 10mm to be more available and about the same price as 9mm.

A0CE3D3C-E94A-49E4-9B21-27E9BB3068B8.jpeg
05AD93A5-2FC8-4754-8C52-C74F6C7FB95F.jpeg
BD379379-67E7-4C70-A604-72B3814D5B41.jpeg
6ED961F2-C863-48CD-BDEE-0194413A1DC4.jpeg

Actually, I've read good things about the Rock Island.
I looked at, and handled a RIA 9mm 1911 a few years ago and wished I HADN'T passed on it.

It was the 'Rock' version and I am keeping my eye open for another.

Well built, tight, good trigger and so - so finish - but thats what probably keeps the price down.

I looked at, and handled a RIA 9mm 1911 a few years ago and wished I HADN'T passed on it.

It was the 'Rock' version and I am keeping my eye open for another.

Well built, tight, good trigger and so - so finish - but thats what probably keeps the price down.
I don't own any of the above mentioned, but I've thought about the RIA on more than one occasion.

I have a couple of Rock Island 1911s. A Std Rock commander in 45 a full size ultra in 40. Both are nice guns and well worth the price. The ultra is a few $$ more, but worth it for the upgrades.

What about these tri star ones? I can't find any reviews on YouTube from reviewers I trust. But lots of reports on forums. All the reviews I read say no malfunctions etc. made in phillipenes but supposed to be the best of the phollipene gjns from what I read. Kind of a mid grade price though. Not RIA or Girsan prices.

Apparently they are the same guns as previous metro arms 1911s. They even still have the metro arms logo.
2F9320BF-F684-4507-8B1B-6157BA395909.png

3BF2C885-627B-4931-BF90-6A879900E7F7.jpeg

Last Edited:
I would buy RIA over Tisas and Tisas over Girsan. In fact, I'd buy Taurus over Girsan. The two Girsan pistols I've handled have been truly hot garbage.

If I were to pick a manufacturer I think delivers a decent 1911 for a fair price in 9mm, I'd go with a Springfield, however they really hiked their prices. May not be such a fair deal anymore...

I have seen Girsan but are there any other ones out there? Having a Walther 1911 in .22 I'm astounded by the quality for a less than $300 firearm. So that got me wondering are there any other good quality 1911s out there in 9mm? Not interested in Taurus or 45ACP at this time. Possibly could go for a 10mm but most interested in 9mm.

This Walther blows me away. Same size and similar weight as regular 1911. Pic from internet cuz I'm too lazy to take good photo. Would love to find a 9mm equivalent of this if it exists (I know $ woudl be $400-$600 though probably).

Yes yes, good question. I've wanted a RIA Tac Ultra FS for a long time. Just haven't committed to the purchase. I've heard good things about them though.

Saw this today while I was browsing. Base model, but reasonable price.

Might help me commit to the Tac Ultra or even the Springfield Prodigy... 🤤. Yes, I know, the Prodigy is technically a 2011...

Yes yes, good question. I've wanted a RIA Tac Ultra FS for a long time. Just haven't committed to the purchase. I've heard good things about them though.

Saw this today while I was browsing. Base model, but reasonable price.

Might help me commit to the Tac Ultra or even the Springfield Prodigy... 🤤. Yes, I know, the Prodigy is technically a 2011...
The more I read about tri star the more I keep hearing, "hand fitted" "reliable" etc. I've read most all the reviews I can find and sounds like they are made in same factory as RIA but have more hand fitting work done to them. That's what I gather anyway. Haven't actually heard any negatives on them yet. Some people say they are the best in their collection of 1911s even (but maybe the others are junk ha ha I dunno). Lots of written reviews and user comments on metro arms brand but not much on YouTube. Sounds like tri star took over metro arms fairly recently so "metro arms" gives more responses on google than tri-star.

Hi-Powers are actually reliable so do that.
I respect high powers and it's cz-75 derivative but don't like the looks of either. Love the looks of cz-97 and Jericho that have full dust cover or whatever it's called. Jericho's ergos/how it fits in your hand are superb Imo. Have never found a gun with a more comfortable or natural grip. Mild trigger job brought the SA trigger down to 4 lbs. on mine.

Last Edited:
I'm. Kinda a 1911 snob, not a pillow biting Pony chaser but a few recommendations from someone who carried them as a duty weapon and learned to build them.

Look for a ramped barrel in 9 &10mm calibers. Never played wit da Super so...

Full length government models will be more reliable as the is a longer operating window to extract, eject, strip and chamber a fresh cartridge.

9mm mags have come a long way in 15 years but tolerance stacking can leave a mag below the optimum min. height and bring about feedway jams. If you are using proven mags and all else is right (feed ramp, extractor etc, try holding the mag fully seated in the grip frame while firing. If the gun runs, look at an additional height mag lock from EGW.

I've heard good things about the Tisas and Rock Island pistols. I should probably look at a few but my stable is almost full with 8-9 examples.

Tisas can be had for 3-400 for a basic model. Unlike the RIA they have forged frames and slides, and only one part is MIM unlike a lot of competitors, even more expensive american ones.

I'm. Kinda a 1911 snob, not a pillow biting Pony chaser but a few recommendations from someone who carried them as a duty weapon and learned to build them.

Look for a ramped barrel in 9 &10mm calibers. Never played wit da Super so...

Full length government models will be more reliable as the is a longer operating window to extract, eject, strip and chamber a fresh cartridge.

9mm mags have come a long way in 15 years but tolerance stacking can leave a mag below the optimum min. height and bring about feedway jams. If you are using proven mags and all else is right (feed ramp, extractor etc, try holding the mag fully seated in the grip frame while firing. If the gun runs, look at an additional height mag lock from EGW.

I've heard good things about the Tisas and Rock Island pistols. I should probably look at a few but my stable is almost full with 8-9 examples.
A ramped 1911 isn't a 1911.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR