JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Blue grip sassy.jpg This is a 9mm 1911. Very sweet.

The very idea of 9mm, 1911's is just wrong to me! o_O I carry other calibers in weapons that are designed for that specific caliber!
Let's not take that, 1911, silk purse and make a sow's ear out of it!
Uuuuugh! Shudder!!! :confused:

I shot a WWII DCM Remington Rand 1911 .45 for many years and totally agreed with you on 9mm 1911's. Then I developed arthritis in my hands and shooting the .45 was pure agony. Tried the 9 and the reduced recoil was manageable. Currently have both a S&W Pro Series and a Springfield EMP. Love 'em both!

This is a Colt 1911 Series 70 Govt Model in 9mm. It's really easy on recoil. No doubt due to the weight and design, even though it's "old." LOL.

Colt19119mm002.jpg

I bought it back in the day when they were frequently used as a base to make a .38 Super. That never happened.

Aloha, Mark

But truthfully, I don't shoot the Colt 1911 as much as these more "modern" designs. Sorry, the plastic Glock was sold off long ago.

BHP
004.jpg

Sig P228
001.jpg

Aloha, Mark

Some one needs to build a high cap 1911 9mm with a grip frame scaled to the smaller round.
I know RIA makes high cap pistols in all the popular rounds but the grip is too big.
Scale the grip frame down stick a 16 more or less round mage\ in a pistol my somewhat dwarfish bubblegum can hold and i am writing a check ! Till then ill stay with the .45
...tj3006

Well get out your checkbook! And don't forget my "finders fee." :D

Wilson Combat EDC X9 -
Designed by Bill Wilson and Wilson Combat engineers, the X-frame is a 15-round, high capacity 9mm 1911 frame that is similar in size to a traditional compact, single stack 1911. The X-frame is machined at Wilson Combat from T6-7075 aluminum and accepts a high capacity magazine with a grip that is smaller in circumference than a standard 1911 while retaining traditional 1911 controls. The EDC X9 15-round, double column magazine was developed jointly with Mec-Gar, industry leaders in double column magazine design.

EDC X9 – Wilson Combat

X9Scenic2.jpg

Well there it is. And i'll bet its a great pistol. Were i a body guard or even a detective i would buy one. But a Wilson is likely out of my price range, if i can,t write it off,,,
Wait , i just saw the other side of it. slide mounted ejector. yuck

Well there it is. And i'll bet its a great pistol. Were i a body guard or even a detective i would buy one. But a Wilson is likely out of my price range, if i can,t write it off,,,
Wait , i just saw the other side of it. slide mounted ejector. yuck
I agree, not a fan of external extractors on 1911 designs... JMB got it right, no need to mess with it...

Hahahahahaha! I'm sorry but the whole, "anti external extractor, 1911 purist" attitude on this particular gun just strikes me as pretty funny. It's the extractor that makes this NOT a 1911? Not the fact that it's 9mm? Or that it's a double stack? Those anti 1911 abominations are fine with you but it's the extractor that is the work of the devil? ;)

And out of curiosity, do you guys own any guns with external extractors? A Sig perhaps or maybe a Beretta or a CZ or...well, you get the point? :D

I also gotta figure that Wilson knows a couple more things about building a gun than I do and that the external extractor was purpose chosen for some functional reason...be it reliability, durability, easier adjustment, etc.

I never said the slide mounted extractor wouldn't work. I just said I don't like it.
Your points are valid though. A 9mm and a hi cap magazine are not exactly what jmb had in mind. When he built the 1st government model pistol.
And I do have a CZ75 . love it. But I don't like slide mounted extractors on a 1911. Truth be told the CZ is what I have in reach at my house when I go to sleep.
But I like 1911s too.
Its hard to argue that an extra 7or 8 rounds in the mag is anything other than an improvement. While the extractor thing is more subjective Tj

I like the 1911 and I like it in .45acp.
That being said...
It is a timeless design and many folks like it , many have trained with it and many are now getting older or might have trouble with a larger caliber.
The 1911 is good as issued ...but having the same design with a wide variety of options in regards to sights , safeties and even calibers is also good.
Andy

Last Edited:
Be happy for the 1911. And all it's many flavors.
After all. There is no one ''1911''.

Todays 1911 is not the gun it once was.
But it never has been. o_O

''In the beginning''
It was not designed to shoot hollow points.
The sights were small.
Slides were not flared with lowered ejection ports.
7 rounds was it!

No beaver tails.
Scalloped receivers.
Checkered receivers.
Adjustable triggers. [Or even short triggers]
Arched spring housing.

And on and on..................

They were made with a completely differently method of machining.
No CNC. MIM parts. HeII! Even the steel was different. And received no hardening.

It's a design that has been evolving since it's inception. And without this. Would likely not be around today.
Can you pick a point in time with this gun. And call that a 1911?

There is no right or wrong answer.
But to me the sights and safety and flared ports and stuff are all improvements or changes to the original.
But if you have to put a whole new slide on the gun to get it to work its just a little to much. Like the LDA para system.
Probably a great gun but to big a change for me. ...tj

As for clambering I don't care what you chamber it in. Its still the same basic design.
A n frame Smith revolver in .357 44 mag or 45lc is the same basic gun. Several sig models are even convertible. That is where a slide mounted extractor gets cool.
But they started clambering 1911s in 38 super in the20s I think.

I think of the 1911 like Levi's jeans. I just bought a new pair of Levi's at the outlet on Saturday and they have a dozen different kinds. None of these permutations are like the originals, but I still consider them all to be Levi's.

FWIW, I think the Commander was designed to be a 9mm pistol from the outset.

I love my 1911s in .45acp. Also love my CZ75s in 9mm. I look at CZs as the Czeck 1911. Check? Cezk? Aw, heck! You get the idea. What a stupid way to spell a country anyway. Great pistols though.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top