JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
the operator telling them to put the gun down don't seem right. She doesn't know if the drunken prowler is gooing to get back up and possibly go for the gun. crazy situation.

Yeah, right. That dispatcher needs to get TOLD, and told hard, NOT to be giving commands in a situation when she's not present. She's got NO IDEA what's going on there, and can not make a sound judgement call. Put the gun down when a crazy man has just busted into the house, and now has one round in him? No way. How can she possibly say ""he's not going to be getting back up"? If that was me inside that house and she'd told me to put the gun down, I'd tell her sorry, I won't be putting the gun down until the deputies are on the scene and have it firmly under control. This whole mindset that the "officials' are the ONLY ones who can DO anything stinks..... and has led to a nation of helpless, incompetent children who now NEED the nanny state to do it all... for a fee, of course.
Well, at least the prosecutor seems to have made the right call, declining to press charges.

Yeah, that got me too:huh: How can the EO make a call like that when she is not there? For all she knows the BG has only been shot 1 time with a .22:s0131: She was even told "he is still moving".

wow this is amazing

i can not believe that damn lady saying to put the gun down. how stupid, people are so ignorant. that situation was handled just about as perfect as it could. im impressed that guy was able to keep composure.

Just so you all know not all agencies/dispatchers are as ignorant as that one. Last November I was in a similar situation-fortunately I did not have to shoot the suspect. He had a knife, was in my front entry, luckily for him I was able to talk him out of the knife (persuaded by the muzzle view of my Kimber). The Washington county dispatcher actually wanted me to keep the suspect contained until the sniper and entry team could get into good covering positions outside my house. Once I KNEW that the suspect was being covered by weapons (albeit from outside the windows) and only then did the dispatcher ask, did I safe my weapon. Had she asked before then I would have politely (yeah right) refused. Kudos to Washington county deputies for also not making out as the "bad guy" for keeping my family safe via my pistol. My prayers go out to that family having to be put through all that drama.

That 911 Operator should be FIRED.
"Put the gun down" what a crock!

Although did the drunk have a weapon? Was he trained in martial arts? Did he have superior strength?

You can't shoot someone just because they break into your home. They have to show intent and ability to cause serious physical harm to you or your family before you can use DEADLY force to stop them with a gun.

Hey, I don't make the laws, just stating what the law says. If a liberal Jury wants to HANG YOU they can. But better to be tried by 12, then carried by 6.

Personally, if ANYONE breaks into your HOME it should automatically be considered a personal THREAT to LIVE and be legal to use deadly force.

But just someone breaking into your home to take your TV isn't enough.

Just so you all know not all agencies/dispatchers are as ignorant as that one. Last November I was in a similar situation-fortunately I did not have to shoot the suspect. He had a knife, was in my front entry, luckily for him I was able to talk him out of the knife (persuaded by the muzzle view of my Kimber). The Washington county dispatcher actually wanted me to keep the suspect contained until the sniper and entry team could get into good covering positions outside my house. Once I KNEW that the suspect was being covered by weapons (albeit from outside the windows) and only then did the dispatcher ask, did I safe my weapon. Had she asked before then I would have politely (yeah right) refused. Kudos to Washington county deputies for also not making out as the "bad guy" for keeping my family safe via my pistol. My prayers go out to that family having to be put through all that drama.

I would have done the same thing. But wouldn't that be considered "Brandishing?" Sense he couldn't STAB YOU through the door.

I was told by my CHL instructor you can NOT show your weapon simply to deter someone. (I think that is completely stupid...but the law is the law)

I feel it's better to deter then to kill. But hey, I don't make the laws.

I would have done the same thing. But wouldn't that be considered "Brandishing?" Sense he couldn't STAB YOU through the door.

I was told by my CHL instructor you can NOT show your weapon simply to deter someone. (I think that is completely stupid...but the law is the law)

In this case you most certainly can legally show/brandish your weapon since you are in your own house.

My CHL instructor sort of mentioned the same thing, but he also said it can be a grey area.

He summed it up by you need to be in fear of your life/safety or that of your family, etc to draw... and when you draw you most draw with the intent of shooting.

BUT, he also said to give the suspect plenty of chances to back down. He went through a few scenarios of first saying "stop, I have a gun, etc, etc then drawing and saying please stop, and then if that doesn't stop them then fire" (of course, how far away they are depends on what you say. If they are in close proximity and a imminent thread empty the mag.

Brandishing: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/brandishing

Kinda like a samaria sword. Don't take it out unless you are ready to use it.

Having said that, if I am in my home, I'm not going to get my gun, put on a belt, holster the weapon, and put on a jacket, just so I wouldn't "brandish" it.

Nobody was saying that you should, but I just thought the image of dressing up for a gunfight to be a funny one. :s0114:

CC instructors in WA County are told to avoid legal discussion in their classes for liability reasons I'm sure. Once you get into scenarios it can be a can of worms. Each situation is different and may require a different reaction. Once you have made the decision to shoot you must be the one to decide when it is safe unless an officer is on the scene and at that point he is in charge.

Kinda like a samaria sword. Don't take it out unless you are ready to use it.

Having said that, if I am in my home, I'm not going to get my gun, put on a belt, holster the weapon, and put on a jacket, just so I wouldn't "brandish" it.

Nobody was saying that you should, but I just thought the image of dressing up for a gunfight to be a funny one. :s0114:

Just picking up your firearm IN YOUR HOME at the first sign of trouble isn't brandishing. Flashing it for someone to see is. I think it's completely stupid.
If you can save two lives by deterring crime, why not? But that's not the country we live in....Oh well....

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top