JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I do not want Portland to suffer nor do I want the people of Portland to suffer but I think that the sycophantic Democrats need to take action to fix the problems that they themselves created.
I have no faith what-so-ever in that happening. What? A leopard changing it's spots? I don't think so.

You live in Seattle I think you've said? I'd guess you may suffer from the same PTSD like thing that I feel a lot of portlander's do. Living in a place where public servants don't give a rats bubblegum about the city they work for can do that to a person.

Portland used to be one of the best cities in the nation and Oregon the best state in the nation. 30 years of one party rule with mail in ballots sure ruined us. Look back and remember what a great place this was, now they think it can be fixed with rent a cops. :s0093:

It's an interesting turn of events, given the more private, only-protecting-big-business roots of law enforcement in America. I suppose some people would like to see us return to community policing with private security forces for those who can afford it...I'm not a big fan of the current system...but going backwards is even less enticing.

Yep, this again is the voters getting what they asked for. This push to make no one responsible for what they do has been pushed for a long time. As long as this is what most who bother to vote want? Then they get it. :(
Not really a push to make NOBODY responsible.... there's Global Warming/Climate Change, Systemic Racism, White people bad, Reparations, Give us our land back, drive your car into AntiFA, Michael Strickland, Patriot Prayer, flag wavers, Trump supporters, Kyle Rittenhouse, and on and on... just depends which side of the isle one is on.

It's not an issue of training, anyone can train real hard and get the skills they need to do it; it's a matter of attitude and actual authority that they have and the authority that they try to display that they do not have, it's a false authority that is used to try to intimidate people into compliance and a lot of security guards take advantage of that. That and the ignorance of the people that see them in whatever store they are supposedly guarding.
When working as an LEO, I met private security that were great folks that knew their boundaries...and plenty of others who did not. Agree with the points above.

Private security is a lot like range RSO's to me. Know what your purpose is and how to talk with people.

I just want to say thank you for giving a bubblegum about the plight that's been systematically forced on the residents of this once great city by people that claimed to want to keep our city great and beautiful. There are a lot of people that have the mind that just letting portland burn is fine with them. I might actually have that same mind set if I didn't live here so I can't really blame them. But it does cut a bit.
I still have one child who lives in Portland, has lived there for 10 years, has a fine degree in Criminal Justice and interned with PPD crime lab
now works for a government contractor
her and her husband sold their place in the Pearl and are now just waiting to get jobs out of Portland and probably out of state
they have given up on the political structure of Portland ever restoring the city to what it was
but I admire those of you who are staying, trying to change the present culture

most of those shot in Portland are hit by stray bullets and are not the intended victim, they never see their shooter
no police, armed security or self defense firearm can prevent that - the culture has to change

if it's so dangerous to go to a bar in old town for an evening cocktail, that the establishments HAVE to hire armed guards, I'll just sit out under my trees and drink wine at home. UPS and Amazon can deliver anything else I need from there.

forest getaway.jpg

I still have one child who lives in Portland, has lived there for 10 years, has a fine degree in Criminal Justice and interned with PPD crime lab
now works for a government contractor
her and her husband sold their place in the Pearl and are now just waiting to get jobs out of Portland and probably out of state
they have given up on the political structure of Portland ever restoring the city to what it was
but I admire those of you who are staying, trying to change the present culture

most of those shot in Portland are hit by stray bullets and are not the intended victim, they never see their shooter
no police, armed security or self defense firearm can prevent that - the culture has to change

if it's so dangerous to go to a bar in old town for an evening cocktail, that the establishments HAVE to hire armed guards, I'll just sit out under my trees and drink wine at home. UPS and Amazon can deliver anything else I need from there.

View attachment 992361
Heaven on earth those trees are... thanks for the picture....👍

Armed positions make more money.
iirc, police must get this certification (which I've literally seen a blind guy pass, long story). It's very easy to ace. PD's usually have a certified guy, if not, they bring one in or go where he does that state certification.
In today's market, I'd think one could cherry pick what type of beat one would be assigned.. like a remote facility with little contact with the public at large etc.

So is big business going to be war lords with their own armies of rent a cops? :s0093:
Many have been for a long time. Law makers who create the sewer for others to live in NEVER live in the same sewer. They have LONG had private "police" to take care of them. I doubt you could find any high profile well off anti gun people who do not have hired people with guns protecting them. When this is pointed out to them they just laugh and say it's "different" with them. They "need" the people with guns, you do not. Hey it works so can't fault them.

Many have been for a long time. Law makers who create the sewer for others to live in NEVER live in the same sewer. They have LONG had private "police" to take care of them. I doubt you could find any high profile well off anti gun people who do not have hired people with guns protecting them. When this is pointed out to them they just laugh and say it's "different" with them. They "need" the people with guns, you do not. Hey it works so can't fault them.
Watched some videos of South Africa falling and there were police looting the businesses. Money would be better spent on insurance than rent a cops.

Kali has such a theft problem big stores are closing. Cops can't arrest anyone until $950 worth of stuff is stolen.

Not sure rent a cops are going to get in a mobs way when it happens in Mogadishu west.

:s0092: Why would a security guard even need to be armed in Portlandia?....
.... all they can do is watch shoplifters bicycle out of the store, and I'm not sure if they'd even be allowed to jam a stick into the spokes. :rolleyes:
Thief in Nancy's lovely San Francisco.

Who's the REAL thief here?

Who's the REAL idiot?

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
"Back when I used to be a police officer..."

Curious what state you were a police officer in.

In Washington, security guards can affect an arrest for any felony offense committed in their presence. In Oregon, security guards can affect any arrest for any criminal offense committed in their presence (Misd./Felony).

Why even bother anymore.....

Granted that NOT every instance goes down like this. And of course, some places have different rules/laws about a "citizen's arrest" and/or even detention of a suspect shoplifter by store personnel.

Anyway, IF someone decided to take the job.....GOOD LUCK to you.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
It is amazing to me that so many are so concerned about armed guards running around yet for every armed guard how many citizens are handed a card saying they can carry a gun? How many "claim" they would use that gun they carry to play hero? I can't remember the last time I heard of some armed guard really stepping on their d!ck. I know it happens but, I hear a LOT of gun owners who legally have guns stepping on their d!ck trying to play cop.
To me? Its still just personal responsibility. Whether the one with a gun is a guard or just a person walking down the street. Do something stupid with that gun? You are held to account as it should be.
download.jpeg-12.jpg

Watched some videos of South Africa falling and there were police looting the businesses. Money would be better spent on insurance than rent a cops.
Not sure how long those who made this mess think insurance will help. The Insurance will pay out once, maybe twice and then drop them. When they look to buy a new policy there will be none to be had. Who is going to sell a policy they know will lose them HUGE?
A lot of the parts of the city that burned in Minn are most likely still sitting as rubble. Insurance there will pay them one time. If they re build the companies will tell then no way.

Why even bother anymore.....

Granted that NOT every instance goes down like this. And of course, some places have different rules/laws about a "citizen's arrest" and/or even detention of a suspect shoplifter by store personnel.

Anyway, IF someone decided to take the job.....GOOD LUCK to you.

Aloha, Mark
If they don't change fast soon their will just not be any "stores" that work like this any more. If they can't make money because too much walks out the door they will just close the doors. Voters will again get what they asked for and then cry

I suspect that.....
With the new Child Tax Credit checks going out today, some people will just decide to stay at home rather than find a job. Or maybe, they'll decide to NOT work that 2nd job.

Either way.....
Money and the amount of money YOU get to keep (after being paid X dollars per hour) will be recalculated in people's minds.

Is that job really worth it?

Rrrrright.....
Work too hard and I might just NOT QUALIFY for the next GOVT FREEBIE.

Aloha, Mark

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads