JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Back when I used to be a police officer I was called out with another officer to a disturbance at a local college, apparently two individuals got into an altercation and one student was hurt badly and the other student was found to be the one who committed the assault thus causing the injury. When I arrived the security guard greeted me with a very giddy and gleeful attitude as if he were rather excited but not in a scared way. Upon taking me to where the individuals were he had handcuffed one of the students, pulled him off to the side and made him sit directly on the ground. I had the guard remove the handcuffs. I then asked him to stand off to the side, he seemed a little put out by it. After talking to witnesses the other officer who responded to the call took the individual who committed the assault to his cruiser, after yet another officer arrived the individual was released to said officer and left. Upon returning the other officer and I discussed it and decided that the security guard overstepped his bounds and we proceeded to talk to him about his behavior, he became rather agitated and said he was "only doing his job" We tried to explain to him that he did not have the legal authority to do what he had done and his job was soley to "observe and report" long story short the situation got worse and the other officer that was with me ended up arresting the security guard for "unlawful restraint" This entire episode could've easily been avoided if the security guard knew his boundaries and did not want to act like a police officer, but it seems too many security guards now aren't being taught their boundaries and as a result many are constantly going overboard with their actions and this is why it's a serious problem.
If any "Paul Blart" mall-cop/private security guard attempted to throw cuffs on me, they'd get schooled REAL fast (and hard) on their boundaries, and hopefully they'd remember the lesson when they woke up from their nap.

Last Edited:
I got no beef with a rent-a-cop having a weapon to defend themself. It's rare, but occasionally they come face to face with some of the same stuff cops might.
That said, I do have beef with the fact that you can get to this position with naught but a GED and a weekend class you don't even have to pay attention to.
There should be significantly more requirements, both training and otherwise for this.
I have the same beef with cops. Yes, they have much more training. They could use more still and most of them know it.

But, I'm probably getting off topic from the original point being made. That's a bunch of jobs and I wouldn't necessarily want to be in most of them right now.
PPD has over 100 openings now, with more slated for retirement this year
they received emergency funding to hire
but few qualified takers

so the businesses and neighborhoods have no choice but to go with private armed security - or accept being victims

It is amazing to me that so many are so concerned about armed guards running around yet for every armed guard how many citizens are handed a card saying they can carry a gun? How many "claim" they would use that gun they carry to play hero? I can't remember the last time I heard of some armed guard really stepping on their d!ck. I know it happens but, I hear a LOT of gun owners who legally have guns stepping on their d!ck trying to play cop.
To me? Its still just personal responsibility. Whether the one with a gun is a guard or just a person walking down the street. Do something stupid with that gun? You are held to account as it should be.

I'm starting a course toward the end of this month for the unarmed security ticket. Perhaps later armed. Wouldn't mind being an instructor at some point.

Get a Q clearance and work at a national nuclear research facility and or transport special nuclear materials.
Oh wait, those guys are wannabees too. Best stay home.

They would probably be required to follow the same "laws" that LEO's are required to follow. If not stricter. That is why so many LEO's are leaving. Too many restrictive laws. IE: the the new laws that were enacted in WA that if a LEO justifiably shoots a BG in the line of duty, the LEO can then be PERSONALLY charged with a murder charge in a civil court. I know 3 LEO's leaving the force because of these new laws signed by Lord Inslee in WA.

Armed security guards would probably have to follow the same BS laws that are on the books.

I figure it is a good way to die, or ruin your life forever, if you are NOT familiar with the current laws, rules and regulations.

NO THANK YOU.

:s0002:

They would probably be required to follow the same "laws" that LEO's are required to follow. If not stricter. That is why so many LEO's are leaving. Too many restrictive laws. IE: the the new laws that were enacted in WA that if a LEO justifiably shoots a BG in the line of duty, the LEO can then be PERSONALLY charged with a murder charge in a civil court. I know 3 LEO's leaving the force because of these new laws signed by Lord Inslee in WA.

Armed security guards would probably have to follow the same BS laws that are on the books.

I figure it is a good way to die, or ruin your life forever, if you are NOT familiar with the current laws, rules and regulations.

NO THANK YOU.

:s0002:
Yep and this does NOT just work for those who choose that line of work. All the people who choose to carry, and seem to think it would be great to "intervene" need to think long and hard before they do. Choose to use your gun, best make sure the courts are going to see it as necessary. Not to mention you are responsible for every round you touch off. One stupid shoot can ruin a life forever.

LOLL at 71, I was just looking to take the course to have the card - I'm ex military - from 1968
but the situation in Portland is such the PPD cant' respond, so neighborhoods and businesses are hiring their own
you say armed private security is a bad idea - does anyone have a better suggestion that would be approved by Joann Hardesty
I don't think this is political, it's just reality , many of you live there, but I will not accept being a victim and no longer go to Portland
No, there is nothing we on this forum can do about the situation - just a discussion on private armed security

The Pearl District hired it's own armed patrols to reduce vandalism
7 Old Town Bars have been robbed by armed robbers in the last couple of months - many are hiring their own armed security
over a dozen Pot Shops have been robbed and one clerk murdered
an old man my age was hit by a stray round from a drive by shooting while working in his garden in his back yard - in the middle of the day
and the PPD doesn't have the manpower to respond
I guess that's why there are so many openings for ARMED private security guards

I just want to say thank you for giving a bubblegum about the plight that's been systematically forced on the residents of this once great city by people that claimed to want to keep our city great and beautiful. There are a lot of people that have the mind that just letting portland burn is fine with them. I might actually have that same mind set if I didn't live here so I can't really blame them. But it does cut a bit.

PPD has over 100 openings now, with more slated for retirement this year
they received emergency funding to hire
but few qualified takers

so the businesses and neighborhoods have no choice but to go with private armed security - or accept being victims
Or they can be allowed to protect themselves and not be hobbled by the anti-gun leftist establishment that runs the city.

I read in these openings an Oregon DPSST card is required

I noted these courses are advertised on this forum

anyone attended one of these courses?

it's posted you have to bring kneepads and shoot from your knees - and no revolvers allowed - that disqualifies this old man

Yeah, the Monica Lewinsky pads would be offputting for me...

It is amazing to me that so many are so concerned about armed guards running around yet for every armed guard how many citizens are handed a card saying they can carry a gun? How many "claim" they would use that gun they carry to play hero? I can't remember the last time I heard of some armed guard really stepping on their d!ck. I know it happens but, I hear a LOT of gun owners who legally have guns stepping on their d!ck trying to play cop.
To me? Its still just personal responsibility. Whether the one with a gun is a guard or just a person walking down the street. Do something stupid with that gun? You are held to account as it should be.
Yes but you've opened up Pandora's box when it comes to personal responsibility. A lot of people in our society are taught from a young age that they're simply not responsible for anything they do especially in Seattle where people willy-nilly do whatever they want and think it's OK, where anything they do that gets them hurt (like bicyclists who take edvantage of the law and act dangerously and get hurt as a result) is never their fault and they never had anything to do with it and they want to blame somebody else. This is a sad fact that I see all the time especially in Seattle.

Last Edited:
Yes but you've opened up Pandora's box when it comes to personal responsibility. A lot of people in our society are taught from a young age that they're simply not responsible for anything they do especially in Seattle where people willy-nilly do whatever they want and think it's OK, where anything they do that gets them hurt (like bicyclist who take edvantage of the law and act dangerously and get hurt as a result) is never their fault and they never had anything to do with it and they want to blame somebody else. This is a sad fact that I see all the time especially in Seattle.
Yep, this again is the voters getting what they asked for. This push to make no one responsible for what they do has been pushed for a long time. As long as this is what most who bother to vote want? Then they get it. :(

I just want to say thank you for giving a bubblegum about the plight that's been systematically forced on the residents of this once great city by people that claimed to want to keep our city great and beautiful. There are a lot of people that have the mind that just letting portland burn is fine with them. I might actually have that same mind set if I didn't live here so I can't really blame them. But it does cut a bit.
I do not want Portland to suffer nor do I want the people of Portland to suffer but I think that the sycophantic Democrats need to take action to fix the problems that they themselves created. And I personally don't feel it's going to be fixed by a bunch of individuals that mostly are not ex-military or law-enforcement running around with guns and very limited training in regards to dealing with the same types of things that actual law enforcement has been trained to deal with.

I do not want Portland to suffer nor do I want the people of Portland to suffer but I think that the sycophantic Democrats need to take action to fix the problems that they themselves created.
I feel very sad for the people who live in places like Potland, Seattle, SanFran and such who TRY to change it. For the ones there who will not bother to vote, or worse yet vote for the morons who make this mess? They can enjoy it. Sadly there is always a lot of people who get caught in the mess though. The worst part is the people at the top who make this mess of course make sure it NEVER touches them :mad:

I feel very sad for the people who live in places like Potland, Seattle, SanFran and such who TRY to change it. For the ones there who will not bother to vote, or worse yet vote for the morons who make this mess? They can enjoy it. Sadly there is always a lot of people who get caught in the mess though. The worst part is the people at the top who make this mess of course make sure it NEVER touches them :mad:
Truer words never spoken my friend…

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top