JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I read in these openings an Oregon DPSST card is required

I noted these courses are advertised on this forum

anyone attended one of these courses?

it's posted you have to bring kneepads and shoot from your knees - and no revolvers allowed - that disqualifies this old man

I read in these openings an Oregon DPSST card is required

I noted these courses are advertised on this forum

anyone attended one of these courses?

it's posted you have to bring kneepads and shoot from your knees - and no revolvers allowed - that disqualifies this old man
In my opinion security guards should not be allowed to have guns, it just bolsters their idea that they have the same authorities as commissioned police officers. It's a huge problem in Seattle, security guards act and behave like the cops and a lot of them are getting in trouble and a lot of them are getting away with it. My son one time said to me "daddy police man" and I said no he's just a security guard and the guy went off on me and then got in my face and told him if he wanted to go to jail keep it up. He backed off because he knew he didn't have the authority to behave that way towards me. The sycophantic day manager asked me to leave after that but I didn't care.
If anyone knows me they know I have an issue with real police officers but I won't tolerate any bs from cop wannabes.

Last Edited:
In my opinion security guards should not be allowed to have guns, it just bolsters their idea that they have the same authorities as commissioned police officers. It's a huge problem in Seattle, security guards act and behave like the cops and a lot of them are getting in trouble and a lot of them are getting away with it.
I tend to agree. Ex military, ex Leo hired as private security I'm a little more inclined to be ok with, but some rent a cop with a gun is a bad idea.

What if the rent a cop is ex military/ex Leo? They're still a rent a cop. What's the difference, training? Can a civilian not meet/exceed those standards?

What if the rent a cop is ex military/ex Leo? They're still a rent a cop. What's the difference, training? Can a civilian not meet/exceed those standards?
That's fine too, I'd feel a little better with someone with past experience in military or LE. Not to say those people are always gonna act right, but yes training helps and some discipline and experience with stress situations.

Im sure someone that is a civilian can meet or exceed those standards, will the majority of people going out for this job meet those expectations, probably not.

:s0092: Why would a security guard even need to be armed in Portlandia?....
.... all they can do is watch shoplifters bicycle out of the store, and I'm not sure if they'd even be allowed to jam a stick into the spokes. :rolleyes:

It's not an issue of training, anyone can train real hard and get the skills they need to do it; it's a matter of attitude and actual authority that they have and the authority that they try to display that they do not have, it's a false authority that is used to try to intimidate people into compliance and a lot of security guards take advantage of that. That and the ignorance of the people that see them in whatever store they are supposedly guarding.

LOLL at 71, I was just looking to take the course to have the card - I'm ex military - from 1968
but the situation in Portland is such the PPD cant' respond, so neighborhoods and businesses are hiring their own
you say armed private security is a bad idea - does anyone have a better suggestion that would be approved by Joann Hardesty
I don't think this is political, it's just reality , many of you live there, but I will not accept being a victim and no longer go to Portland
No, there is nothing we on this forum can do about the situation - just a discussion on private armed security

The Pearl District hired it's own armed patrols to reduce vandalism
7 Old Town Bars have been robbed by armed robbers in the last couple of months - many are hiring their own armed security
over a dozen Pot Shops have been robbed and one clerk murdered
an old man my age was hit by a stray round from a drive by shooting while working in his garden in his back yard - in the middle of the day
and the PPD doesn't have the manpower to respond
I guess that's why there are so many openings for ARMED private security guards
Where is that?

Why are these police trainees walking and running with their fingers on the trigger? The sweeps are clearly meant to show incompetence. But the fact that all the recruits have fingers on triggers from the moment they are handed guns suggests guys who made movie thought that was right.

Back when I used to be a police officer I was called out with another officer to a disturbance at a local college, apparently two individuals got into an altercation and one student was hurt badly and the other student was found to be the one who committed the assault thus causing the injury. When I arrived the security guard greeted me with a very giddy and gleeful attitude as if he were rather excited but not in a scared way. Upon taking me to where the individuals were he had handcuffed one of the students, pulled him off to the side and made him sit directly on the ground. I had the guard remove the handcuffs. I then asked him to stand off to the side, he seemed a little put out by it. After talking to witnesses the other officer who responded to the call took the individual who committed the assault to his cruiser, after yet another officer arrived the individual was released to said officer and left. Upon returning the other officer and I discussed it and decided that the security guard overstepped his bounds and we proceeded to talk to him about his behavior, he became rather agitated and said he was "only doing his job" We tried to explain to him that he did not have the legal authority to do what he had done and his job was soley to "observe and report" long story short the situation got worse and the other officer that was with me ended up arresting the security guard for "unlawful restraint" This entire episode could've easily been avoided if the security guard knew his boundaries and did not want to act like a police officer, but it seems too many security guards now aren't being taught their boundaries and as a result many are constantly going overboard with their actions and this is why it's a serious problem.

Last Edited:
Why are these police trainees walking and running with their fingers on the trigger? The sweeps are clearly meant to show incompetence. But the fact that all the recruits have fingers on triggers from the moment they are handed guns suggests guys who made movie thought that was right.
"Sargent, you safety is off"
"Sir, (wiggling his finger) this is my safety"

I couldn't imagine being security in Portland.

In the twisted bizarro world of Portland, You are tasked with protecting a property, but while facing a violent mob that could kill you and get away with it, you would be the one charged with murder if you were to defend yourself.

"observe and report"
This is about all security guards can legally do around here these days. In Wash., you can't use lethal force to protect property. I often see armed guards at branches of Bank of America. I like the optics of having armed security guards around, just their presence probably has some deterrent effect. Against those who would rob the bank; probably not against smash and grabbers and shoplifters. Because the latter category know store policy (and city policy in places like Seattle, et al) immunizes them against apprehension.

The security guards at BofA I've noticed carry stainless steel Smith & Wesson M&P revolvers. These are inherently safer for novice uers to carry.

The Fred Meyer in Everett, Wash. was having a tough time with thieves for a while there. The solution was off-duty Everett PD. Expensive solution, but it eliminates what we are discussing here with rent-a-cops. When Fred Meyer hires an off-duty sworn police officer, that individual has a qualified privilege to use force and make arrests. Fred Meyer cannot be held liable for any conduct within the scope of the officer's proper use of force and arrest powers. So in that sense, the big bucks are worth what they are buying. Oh, and the black and white parked out front in a special stall may turn some crooks away too.

I don't think I'd want to work as a security guard these days. Particularly not an armed guard. There aren't many scenarios that I can imagine where drawing your weapon and using it wouldn't lead to trouble for you as an individual. I suppose there could be some shoot-out situation develop in a retail venue, allowing you to return fire defensively. It happens once in a while, but as an armed guard, you might quickly become a target. Plus, your return fire might kill or injure a bystander, then you'd be right back to having trouble.

In my opinion security guards should not be allowed to have guns, it just bolsters their idea that they have the same authorities as commissioned police officers. It's a huge problem in Seattle, security guards act and behave like the cops and a lot of them are getting in trouble and a lot of them are getting away with it. My son one time said to me "daddy police man" and I said no he's just a security guard and the guy went off on me and then got in my face and told him if he wanted to go to jail keep it up. He backed off because he knew he didn't have the authority to behave that way towards me. The sycophantic day manager asked me to leave after that but I didn't care.
If anyone knows me they know I have an issue with real police officers but I won't tolerate any bs from cop wannabes.
I got no beef with a rent-a-cop having a weapon to defend themself. It's rare, but occasionally they come face to face with some of the same stuff cops might.
That said, I do have beef with the fact that you can get to this position with naught but a GED and a weekend class you don't even have to pay attention to.
There should be significantly more requirements, both training and otherwise for this.
I have the same beef with cops. Yes, they have much more training. They could use more still and most of them know it.

But, I'm probably getting off topic from the original point being made. That's a bunch of jobs and I wouldn't necessarily want to be in most of them right now.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top