JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Funny you say that. In the late 90s I did a part time gig as an armed guard for an ACT III theater where the GM had been armed robbed, so she would only work if there was armed security. So Yes, free popcorn and soda pop!
Thats simple, let her go and hire a new general manager…

my daughter worked her way through college working at coffee shops, bars, dog care and such in Portland
there was a time bars like the Green Turtle had the highest educated staff around - a bartender had a Masters
but all those young people who loved the life in Portland are gone, IF the businesses reopen, the skilled manpower pool has left Portland
anyone with computer skills is working remotely and no longer traveling into Portland to even use the businesses
my son's employer has determined his staff was more productive working remote and will not reopen their brick and mortar location
many others are doing the same - the customer base for the old Portland is not coming back! Why take down the plywood or pay insurance?
the lifestyle of Portlandia is dead!
That explains why there's five pages of nevermind.

according to PSU website, they will reopen again this fall, expecting 23,000 young people back in town in Sept for the first time since Covid lockdown
79% of them from around Oregon
all those kids will be looking for part time employment and entertainment
only time will tell if a new Portland arises and what it's culture will be like

not to mention the homeless in Portland
PSU has a federal grant to study homelessness
you will note all PSU property is covered in Homeless camps
and since it's private property, PSU will not allow Portland to do camp sweeps
as if Queen Hardesty would allow that in Portland at all!!
an established Portland Pro golf tournament was relocated this year since the organizers considered the Portland location to dangerous
I want to correct my comment about the homeless encampments on PSU property
my daughter tells me most of them are registered students at PSU
the kids can afford college, but not lodging and PSU allows them to camp out on campus!?

In my opinion security guards should not be allowed to have guns, it just bolsters their idea that they have the same authorities as commissioned police officers. It's a huge problem in Seattle, security guards act and behave like the cops and a lot of them are getting in trouble and a lot of them are getting away with it. My son one time said to me "daddy police man" and I said no he's just a security guard and the guy went off on me and then got in my face and told him if he wanted to go to jail keep it up. He backed off because he knew he didn't have the authority to behave that way towards me. The sycophantic day manager asked me to leave after that but I didn't care.
If anyone knows me they know I have an issue with real police officers but I won't tolerate any bs from cop wannabes.
Geez!

Consider that the majority of active military do not use or carry firearms as part of their official duties.

Ex-military means essentially zero in terms of firearms ability or familiarity.

all military are trained with firearms in Basic, but you are correct, only about 20% use firearms as part of their MOS

having a red cross on my ID, I was not required to qualify every year, but did by choice

After several Ben Bridge jeweler stores got hit, one of which I was in when someone ran out with a solid gold Rolex. The company then hired off duty police officers and now use armed security guards in some locations. I think the armed presence is more for a deterrence factor as most policies from these security firms state pretty clearly "not to engage, observe and report, etc.".
When I worked in asset protection aka loss prevention while in school, the use of force guidelines were nearly non existent, as most stores don't want to risk litigation. In the end, I realized it wasn't worth risking my life for a private entity more worried about the bottom line. Of course these are the same bozos LE deal with on a daily basis.

with all due respect, I hope they took you to Tacoma General
I maintained their cath labs for 4 years before retiring, you would get the finest treatment there
Went to st. Joseph. They were good. Moved pretty fast, they freaked out a bit because I drove myself there.

These business' are getting what they deserve for not supporting their LEOs
AND the Leo's are getting what they deserve for not supporting the people.
After several Ben Bridge jeweler stores got hit, one of which I was in when someone ran out with a solid gold Rolex. The company then hired off duty police officers and now use armed security guards in some locations. I think the armed presence is more for a deterrence factor as most policies from these security firms state pretty clearly "not to engage, observe and report, etc.".
When I worked in asset protection aka loss prevention while in school, the use of force guidelines were nearly non existent, as most stores don't want to risk litigation. In the end, I realized it wasn't worth risking my life for a private entity more worried about the bottom line. Of course these are the same bozos LE deal with on a daily basis.
The courts. The legal system....That allow people to get money for being injured while commiting a crime. Who allows that?

One of the largest employers in downtown Portland just had an employee survey come back with 70%+ wanting to continue to work from home. The vast majority wants to stay out of downtown. What a surprise.
Not having to go downtown has other advantages too, like not having to pay to park after sitting in stupid-slow traffic for 2 hrs.

You could ride the train... ?
Uuuuuhhhh, no thanks.

Portland is a poorly run and poorly maintained city. It's been mismanaged right into the ground.
I don't wish harm on it, I'm not of the "let it burn, they deserve it" camp. But since l left l no longer lament it's appalling failures nor get excited at every little promising spark of revitalization, which are few, far between, and guaranteed to be short-lived.
I'm not proud of my apathy, but l have other concerns that supercede that dying relic's well being.
Best of luck to the good guys. My beers are cold and the grill is hot for the day you decide to bail... bring meat. I'll be happy to see you, but I'm not feeding EVERYBODY.

Not having to go downtown has other advantages too, like not having to pay to park after sitting in stupid-slow traffic for 2 hrs.

Uuuuuhhhh, no thanks.

Portland is a poorly run and poorly maintained city. It's been mismanaged right into the ground.
I don't wish harm on it, I'm not of the "let it burn, they deserve it" camp. But since l left l no longer lament it's appalling failures nor get excited at every little promising spark of revitalization, which are few, far between, and guaranteed to be short-lived.
I'm not proud of my apathy, but l have other concerns that supercede that dying relic's well being.
Best of luck to the good guys. My beers are cold and the grill is hot for the day you decide to bail... bring meat. I'll be happy to see you, but I'm not feeding EVERYBODY.
The really sad part? The residents of of portland are either oblivious, feel helpless, or are just fine with what portland is now. I'm in the helpless camp. Those that are oblivious and are fine with it deserve what they get. When I'm out the only ones I'll feel bad for are the ones the desperately want out, but don't have the means to get out.

Uuuuuhhhh, no thanks.

Better say " bring beef or seafood "

Don't want a bunch of lames turning up with chicken legs and hot dogs.

my daughter sent her car out to us for safekeeping
it appears "urban campers" just randomly wander the streets pf Portland breaking out windows of parked cars
the police will tell you they have no manpower to dispatch to investigate such damage

my daughter sent her car out to us for safekeeping
it appears "urban campers" just randomly wander the streets pf Portland breaking out windows of parked cars
the police will tell you they have no manpower to dispatch to investigate such damage
I can only hope everyone who votes for the current admin there gets a window or two broken.
Of course if this is allowed to go on long enough we will soon be seeing some of the scum just being shot. They will break the window of someone who will have had enough. Of course the poor vehicle owner will then be in trouble. Sad case of what the voters have done there but, they keep saying give us more. :s0092:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top