JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Not sure how long those who made this mess think insurance will help. The Insurance will pay out once, maybe twice and then drop them. When they look to buy a new policy there will be none to be had. Who is going to sell a policy they know will lose them HUGE?
A lot of the parts of the city that burned in Minn are most likely still sitting as rubble. Insurance there will pay them one time. If they re build the companies will tell then no way.
Just thinking about it and not changing the subject, those small businesses in Minn that got burnt out and paid insurance are a lot better off than our businesses closed by covid tyranny.

Sure insurance will quit paying but by then the company has moved on to a better location. Why would a small business stay in Mogadishu west after years of riots and covid tyranny? The banks will hire rent a cops to watch the empty properties until its cheaper to get insurance and burn the buildings down. o_O

So is big business going to be war lords with their own armies of rent a cops? :s0093:
Well, with Big Business devouring housing through REITs and Google starting to bring back the concept of "Company Town" where the employer is also landlord, general store, and town gov...

Don't get me wrong, a part of me wants to spool up a REIT of my own, but inspired by one rental-property-owner member here my goal with it would be make a fair profit while finding responsible, stable tenants and helping them build credit and transition to responsible, stable HOMEOWNERS.

Does the job come with free popcorn?
:s0093:
Funny you say that. In the late 90s I did a part time gig as an armed guard for an ACT III theater where the GM had been armed robbed, so she would only work if there was armed security. So Yes, free popcorn and soda pop!

Seriously, even at four figures an hour AND full reimbursement for my PPE (and we're talking geared up like Fallujah with the best their money can buy!) no-questions-asked that wouldn't be enough for me to take that job.

my daughter worked her way through college working at coffee shops, bars, dog care and such in Portland
there was a time bars like the Green Turtle had the highest educated staff around - a bartender had a Masters
but all those young people who loved the life in Portland are gone, IF the businesses reopen, the skilled manpower pool has left Portland
anyone with computer skills is working remotely and no longer traveling into Portland to even use the businesses
my son's employer has determined his staff was more productive working remote and will not reopen their brick and mortar location
many others are doing the same - the customer base for the old Portland is not coming back! Why take down the plywood or pay insurance?
the lifestyle of Portlandia is dead!

my daughter worked her way through college working at coffee shops, bars, dog care and such in Portland
there was a time bars like the Green Turtle had the highest educated staff around - a bartender had a Masters
but all those young people who loved the life in Portland are gone, IF the businesses reopen, the skilled manpower pool has left Portland
anyone with computer skills is working remotely and no longer traveling into Portland to even use the businesses
my son's employer has determined his staff was more productive working remote and will not reopen their brick and mortar location
many others are doing the same - the customer base for the old Portland is not coming back! Why take down the plywood or pay insurance?
the lifestyle of Portlandia is dead!
One of the largest employers in downtown Portland just had an employee survey come back with 70%+ wanting to continue to work from home. The vast majority wants to stay out of downtown. What a surprise.

not to mention the homeless in Portland
PSU has a federal grant to study homelessness
you will note all PSU property is covered in Homeless camps
and since it's private property, PSU will not allow Portland to do camp sweeps
as if Queen Hardesty would allow that in Portland at all!!
an established Portland Pro golf tournament was relocated this year since the organizers considered the Portland location to dangerous

here's a point to ponder, I'm a Vietnam era Vet, ('68) but my Father served there in '66 (he was 40)
he said Saigon was so safe, the GIs weren't allow to carry firearms into town and the bars and shops didn't have armed guards
so, your accepting Portland today is more dangerous for Americans than Saigon was in 1966?

here's a point to ponder, I'm a Vietnam era Vet, ('68) but my Father served there in '66 (he was 40)
he said Saigon was so safe, the GIs weren't allow to carry firearms into town and the bars and shops didn't have armed guards
so, your accepting Portland today is more dangerous for Americans than Saigon was in 1966?
Parts of Seattle got almost as bad as Saigon 1975, briefly. CHOP , CHAZ

I just want to say thank you for giving a bubblegum about the plight that's been systematically forced on the residents of this once great city by people that claimed to want to keep our city great and beautiful. There are a lot of people that have the mind that just letting portland burn is fine with them. I might actually have that same mind set if I didn't live here so I can't really blame them. But it does cut a bit.
Portland's situation didn't just happen. It was designed then certified by the majority of voters. "Sideshow Bob" Hardesty and friends were a solution to a problem that never existed. I remember looking at the voters catalog and shaking my head at the Multnomah Co pictures. The post office has more reputable pictures on their walls.

I think Portland really misjudged it's position this time. They either admit defeat. Fire and possibly arrest their DA, along with hundreds of others or eat the loss for 5-10 years. Nobody outside of Antifa or gang affiliates, is going to take that job and survive.

not to mention the homeless in Portland
PSU has a federal grant to study homelessness
you will note all PSU property is covered in Homeless camps
and since it's private property, PSU will not allow Portland to do camp sweeps
as if Queen Hardesty would allow that in Portland at all!!
an established Portland Pro golf tournament was relocated this year since the organizers considered the Portland location to dangerous
Then they need to be hit with zoning violations, along with OSHA and health department inspections. Start throwing massive fines at them and watch them change their tune.

Last Edited:
Full disclosure, I never went to Saigon or Woodstock.
I wasn't born til late 72
I wonder if Mayor jerkin my Durkin considers the sexual assaults that occurred in the Chaz as acts of "love "?
full disclosure - in '72 I was stationed in Germany, riding a new BMW R75, drinking good beer, lots of fine food and living with a fraulein with big XXXXXXX
Glory Days when life was good
I returned in '73 and road that BMW across the country for a year, spent only the $4000 I was discharged with
I averaged $10/day expenses - worked manpower pools when I ran low - once shoveled manure in a stockyard in Oklahoma - made good bucks!!
worked labor on farms in Nebraska, a Levi jeans distribution hub in Denver, stocked back bar in Phoenix
repaired motorcycles in Surges, SD for 2 weeks, worked on shrimp boats out of New Orleans
that year, the Bill for campground charges in National Parks had expired and I lived free in National Parks across the country
NEVER ran into a situation I considered Dangerous, even in Chicago, Detroit, Atlanta, Denver, New Orleans, L.A. or San Francisco
slept in the open next to my bike and never feared a single night anywhere in America

try that today

Never wanted to be a LEO.
Took the job for a paycheck.
When something goes wrong being the first on site with nothing more than harsh word and a flashlight is not easy.
So far in eight years found a couple of deaders, multiple overdosed idiots, and one confused old lady ( silver alert ).
Being a deterrent isn't very quantifiable. But evidently fewer incidents of property crime are telling.
All of these people had been passed by by your precious LEO's, some multiple times.
Found the best approach to be "are you o.k.?" or some variation thereof. Aggression only gets you more aggression.

Oh well I am done with it now, had a heart attack monday morning at work. Guess what? Nobody was there for me.

Never wanted to be a LEO.
Took the job for a paycheck.
When something goes wrong being the first on site with nothing more than harsh word and a flashlight is not easy.
So far in eight years found a couple of deaders, multiple overdosed idiots, and one confused old lady ( silver alert ).
Being a deterrent isn't very quantifiable. But evidently fewer incidents of property crime are telling.
All of these people had been passed by by your precious LEO's, some multiple times.
Found the best approach to be "are you o.k.?" or some variation thereof. Aggression only gets you more aggression.

Oh well I am done with it now, had a heart attack monday morning at work. Guess what? Nobody was there for me.
with all due respect, I hope they took you to Tacoma General
I maintained their cath labs for 4 years before retiring, you would get the finest treatment there

Then they need to me hit with zoning violations, along OSHA and health department inspections. Start throwing massive fines at them and watch them change their tune.
I'm actually surprised there hasn't been a flood of Federal ADA/Barrier Free Access lawsuits when the tents block sidewalks. Those fines are steep and are beyond the local Marxists political interference.

I'm actually surprised there hasn't been a flood of Federal ADA/Barrier Free Access lawsuits when the tents block sidewalks. Those fines are steep and are beyond the local Marxists political interference.
Boom, there is another angle. They lack the will apparently, the systems and laws are in place, us them or put up with this crap.

So, $15 an hour for a lame pothead burger flipper and $16.50 an hour for an armed security guard, sounds about right.
That pay is brutal. I make more than that doing what I consider less demanding work than that. Much less demanding than any cop's. If you want good service of any kind, pay them. Especially if it's a hazardous gig.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top