JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I can't not be in the woods and I refuse to be a victim. That being said I think I'll up my woods carry weapon to my 10mm and extra magazines full of 1300fps 180gr Speer Gold Dots.

Last Edited:
The news said that the authorities did not think there was any threat to the public. Hmm, a double homicide and the perp has not been caught. Interesting comment. Either they think the two shot each other or they are just attempting to keep the public from being concerned.

I see this as.......
More reason to have a "Recognized Public Shooting Range" with Parks and Rec staff running things.

But, it won't fly. Because the politicians are more interested in building basketball courts, dog parks, baseball parks and boat ramps, etc..... Staying far away from guns is just better for re-election purposes.

Aloha, Mark

While watching a news vid about this on the 'net I realized how thick the woods are around the area and how easy it would be to 'hide' - and fairly close to actual pit area - which I looked at it on Google maps and could easily see how thick the area is on the satellite image.
Yeah, it's pretty thick there, but much of the topography is very steep. In fact, in the news photos I saw the backgound drops off steeply enough it's nearly impossible to navigate without holding onto the plants! Where they were, one would be pretty aware of anyone else driving into the area. It's also a popular area to camp.

But I'd be surprised if the end result didn't center around drugs.

I see this as.......
More reason to have a "Recognized Public Shooting Range" with Parks and Rec staff running things.

But, it won't fly. Because the politicians are more interested in building basketball courts, dog parks, baseball parks and boat ramps, etc..... Staying far away from guns is just better for re-election purposes.

Aloha, Mark
Bike paths! We need more bike paths!

1. The news said that the authorities did not think there was any threat to the public. Hmm, a double homicide and the perp has not been caught. Interesting comment. Either they think the two shot each other or they are just attempting to keep the public from being concerned.
    Or they were targeted for a specific reason

Catch who? Double homicide?? There's still no word from the police as to what the cause of death was. Why does everyone keep assuming it's a double homicide? If the police say there's no reason to be worried, it might mean a murder suicide. That's the only reason they could say there's no reason to worry.

Catch who? Double homicide?? There's still no word from the police as to what the cause of death was. Why does everyone keep assuming it's a double homicide? If the police say there's no reason to be worried, it might mean a murder suicide. That's the only reason they could say there's no reason to worry.

It has been reported as a double homicide by law enforcement.

It was the Clackamas County Coroner's Office that announced that this was a double homicide.
It is common that Means and Methods are not released during an on-going investigation.
Well all want more details.

That's what I like about Idaho, I can see bad coming from quite a ways out.

Open country is definitely an advantage, but only when you're really paying attention.

A good friend of mine told me a story once, about shooting out in the Arizona desert many years ago. They were in a safe area to shoot, but not terribly far out from civilization. They were shooting pistols, blasting away with 9mms as fast as they could pull the triggers. Apparently fast enough that some ninny in nearby civilization heard the echos and thought someone scary was shooting "machine guns" and called the cops.

He said it was wide open desert, but they were having a good time and somehow failed to notice the SWAT team sneaking up on them. All of a sudden a group of very serious, heavily armed police had surrounded them. It turned out fine because they were completely legal, but he said it scared the heck out of them. For a couple of Marine veterans, they let themselves get jumped pretty easily.

I can't not be in the woods and I refuse to be a victim. That being said I think I'll up my woods carry weapon to my 10mm and extra magazines full of 1300fps 180gr Speer Gold Dots.

I cant either.....WE cant I should say.....with that being said, I've learned a few things from friends.

1- If I camp or shoot alone I always bring extra chairs.....
2- A firearm is ALWAYS with me. If someone stops by I always position myself between my vehicle and the others......
3- Technology is your friend. Sensors....Get some....call me paranoid, I dont care.....I know where YOU are BEFORE you know.....

There have been a couple of incidents while out in the woods, that were cause for concern. One happened in the Mt. Hood National Forest, the other north of Dugan Falls, WA. While in an area north of Dugan Falls, three of us were shooting SKS's and quickly popping off rounds. After we were done, someone nearby emptied what sounded like a pistol. We never saw them. This was years ago when one could score 2 dollar or less boxes of Norinco at the Portland gun show. Not too long after my last trip shooting up there, someone dumped a body in the general vicinity and I quit going alone to Dugan Falls.

I prefer the range, however I take my loaded mag with me when I change out the targets and every so often look back to make sure that firearms are not being handled.

When out in the woods, I take the rifle with me while adjusting targets and maintain a loaded sidearm on my person as soon as I get there and until I depart.

It is sad situation out in Estacada. I am impressed with the loyalty of their dog and that according to the news articles, that the dog was not harmed..

Perimeter alarms are a good idea when camping. These use a shotgun primer.
This site has a bunch of cool stuff

Perimeter alarms are a good idea when camping. These use a shotgun primer.
This site has a bunch of cool stuff
Those would definitely "launch" any interlopers.
Here a trespasser gets the "Welcome Wagon"...

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top