JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I always hope and try to make one cartridge do the job but my past experience has been a second or a third is necessary at times. Any more rounds fired at a game animal means something isnt working.IMHO

Been deer hunting for 46 years. I carry a full magazine typically 5-7 rds. A replacement magazine worth in a pocket (usally a shirt pocket easy to access. And in my pack or belt pockets a box of 20.

If I am muzzle loader hunting I carry about 20 rds of makings.

Never know when you might need to get someones attention

Enough time to get off 3 rounds from what was probably a bolt action but not enough time to aim once.
Ok. Sounds like somebody panicked.

Enough time to get off 3 rounds from what was probably a bolt action but not enough time to aim once.
Ok. Sounds like somebody panicked.
Yeah - not like I would panic if attacked by a grizzly; I know I would keep my head and most likely run away screaming like a little girl after dropping my rifle without a shot fired. No reason to panic - I know what to do. :D

:eek:"I was able to get three shots off straight from the hip," he told CTV Edmonton. "The last shot, the bear was probably no more than two feet from me. I had to duck out of the way; he tried to swipe at me as he went by."
He said the bear went around a tree, and then charged at them again, but this time his weapon was empty.
Facing limited options, Hollingworth says he ended up shoving the gun's barrel into the grizzly's mouth to joust the bear back. Marks left on the barrel leave a chilling reminder of the animal biting down.

Yeah - not like I would panic if attacked by a grizzly; I know I would keep my head and most likely run away screaming like a little girl after dropping my rifle without a shot fired. No reason to panic - I know what to do. :D
One can train or one can hope for the best. While it would be difficult to train for a bear attack training with a stress shoot is more than doable.
Or you could try sarcasm. Maybe that'll work on a bear.

One can train or one can hope for the best. While it would be difficult to train for a bear attack training with a stress shoot is more than doable.
Or you could try sarcasm. Maybe that'll work on a bear.
OK sensei you win,it's just that the people I have talked to,from Alaska that have had encounters with grizzlies,didn't feel they did very good at the 'not panic' part. They obviously came out ahead,but seemed to panic while the 6-800 pound eating machine was coming at them
But I'm sure since you stress test with some unarmed Costa wannabees and some blue barrels and silhouette targets (y'all still using zombies cause I bet that's as scary as a bear) that you would waltz right thru a bear attack
So lets set it up,post it on you tube

OK sensei you win,it's just that the people I have talked to,from Alaska that have had encounters with grizzlies,didn't feel they did very good at the 'not panic' part. They obviously came out ahead,but seemed to panic while the 6-800 pound eating machine was coming at them
But I'm sure since you stress test with some unarmed Costa wannabees and some blue barrels and silhouette targets (y'all still using zombies cause I bet that's as scary as a bear) that you would waltz right thru a bear attack
So lets set it up,post it on you tube
You could've just realized my comment pointed to the importance of training and general preparation.
Apparently you don't believe in training.
That's fine. I prefer to have the best chance possible.
I have no idea how I would react to a bear charging.
I do know how I've reacted to other situations. Situations where I was glad to have had training so I could be prepared on some level.
It's strange that a member of a gun forum would fail to see the importance of training.

Sorry y'all made the list decklin,can't read the post
No idea what you're talking about. I mentioned a stress shoot and next thing you're talking about Costa, blue barrels and zombie targets.
I don't know what any of that has to do with a stress shoot. I am not familiar with his training methods.
The stress shoot I'm talking about is meant to elevate your heart rate. People of different physical capabilities will need to modify their training accordingly. I used to go running before shooting to get used to the surge of adrenaline that happens in a fight or flight situation.
That was back in my Army days. Now I've got a bad leg as a result of a drunk driver hitting me so I don't really run anymore.
I can still do push-ups though and that still works. Other people may only need to go for a brisk walk.
So I don't know what real training has to do with zombie targets or fad trainers.

I think he meant you made it onto his ignore list.

I have been through some training as a LEO, and I have been in some life threatening situations and kept my head about me - but still, a big old grizzly momma charging you, much less a boar, is probably going a lot more scary than your response to an armed human. I've seen trained people panic in emergency situations, so I tend to not second guess people who are charged by bears with big teeth and claws that weight 3 to 4 times what they weigh and are faster to boot. After all, the guy did resolve the issue in his favor - the bear is dead and he isn't. I think that counts as a win.

YMMV

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads