Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

You only need one round when hunting ....

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by PBinWA, Nov 26, 2015.

1. PBinWA

PBinWA Clark County Well-Known Member

belcher and mjbskwim like this.
  2. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Elma, WA Well-Known Member

Or aiming...

Caveman Jim likes this.
  3. JRuby

JRuby St. Helens Oregon Well-Known Member

I always hope and try to make one cartridge do the job but my past experience has been a second or a third is necessary at times. Any more rounds fired at a game animal means something isnt working.IMHO

4. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

Didn't click. Hitting the mark is always good though?

Caveman Jim likes this.
  5. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Been deer hunting for 46 years. I carry a full magazine typically 5-7 rds. A replacement magazine worth in a pocket (usally a shirt pocket easy to access. And in my pack or belt pockets a box of 20.

If I am muzzle loader hunting I carry about 20 rds of makings.

Never know when you might need to get someones attention

6. decklin

decklin WA Well-Known Member

Enough time to get off 3 rounds from what was probably a bolt action but not enough time to aim once.
    Ok. Sounds like somebody panicked.

Caveman Jim likes this.
  7. The Heretic

The Heretic Oregon Well-Known Member

Yeah - not like I would panic if attacked by a grizzly; I know I would keep my head and most likely run away screaming like a little girl after dropping my rifle without a shot fired. No reason to panic - I know what to do. :D

8. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Rifle
    5 in the mag + 1 in the chamber

3 round mag in my pocket

10 round mag in my backpack

And

Handgun
    6 + 6 .357mag

Or

10 + 10 9mm

9. edslhead

edslhead Vanc Gold Supporter Gold Supporter Silver Supporter Bronze Supporter

:eek:"I was able to get three shots off straight from the hip," he told CTV Edmonton. "The last shot, the bear was probably no more than two feet from me. I had to duck out of the way; he tried to swipe at me as he went by."
    He said the bear went around a tree, and then charged at them again, but this time his weapon was empty.
    Facing limited options, Hollingworth says he ended up shoving the gun’s barrel into the grizzly's mouth to joust the bear back. Marks left on the barrel leave a chilling reminder of the animal biting down.

10. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

Tell ya what Mr Big Baller,let's set you up in the same scenario and see who puddles their pants

edslhead likes this.
  11. The Heretic

Or worse

mjbskwim likes this.
  12. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Elma, WA Well-Known Member

Becomes the puddle???;)

mjbskwim likes this.
  13. decklin

Uh huh. So you don't train in stress shoots? You're missing out.

14. decklin

One can train or one can hope for the best. While it would be difficult to train for a bear attack training with a stress shoot is more than doable.
    Or you could try sarcasm. Maybe that'll work on a bear.

15. The Heretic

I am deadly when it comes to sarcasm. :D

edslhead, Capn Jack and mjbskwim like this.
  16. mjbskwim

OK sensei you win,it's just that the people I have talked to,from Alaska that have had encounters with grizzlies,didn't feel they did very good at the 'not panic' part. They obviously came out ahead,but seemed to panic while the 6-800 pound eating machine was coming at them
    But I'm sure since you stress test with some unarmed Costa wannabees and some blue barrels and silhouette targets (y'all still using zombies cause I bet that's as scary as a bear) that you would waltz right thru a bear attack
    So lets set it up,post it on you tube

17. decklin

You could've just realized my comment pointed to the importance of training and general preparation.
    Apparently you don't believe in training.
    That's fine. I prefer to have the best chance possible.
    I have no idea how I would react to a bear charging.
    I do know how I've reacted to other situations. Situations where I was glad to have had training so I could be prepared on some level.
    It's strange that a member of a gun forum would fail to see the importance of training.

18. mjbskwim

Sorry y'all made the list decklin,can't read the post

19. decklin

No idea what you're talking about. I mentioned a stress shoot and next thing you're talking about Costa, blue barrels and zombie targets.
    I don't know what any of that has to do with a stress shoot. I am not familiar with his training methods.
    The stress shoot I'm talking about is meant to elevate your heart rate. People of different physical capabilities will need to modify their training accordingly. I used to go running before shooting to get used to the surge of adrenaline that happens in a fight or flight situation.
    That was back in my Army days. Now I've got a bad leg as a result of a drunk driver hitting me so I don't really run anymore.
    I can still do push-ups though and that still works. Other people may only need to go for a brisk walk.
    So I don't know what real training has to do with zombie targets or fad trainers.

20. The Heretic

I think he meant you made it onto his ignore list.

I have been through some training as a LEO, and I have been in some life threatening situations and kept my head about me - but still, a big old grizzly momma charging you, much less a boar, is probably going a lot more scary than your response to an armed human. I've seen trained people panic in emergency situations, so I tend to not second guess people who are charged by bears with big teeth and claws that weight 3 to 4 times what they weigh and are faster to boot. After all, the guy did resolve the issue in his favor - the bear is dead and he isn't. I think that counts as a win.

YMMV