JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm pro wolf.....I'm also pro hunting/defense b/c of their actions......ESP for predation of "cattle" of any species; public or private, are they dangerous to our animals and other humans?... are they a nuisance?...... absolutely, are they amazing and should roam home habitats?.....absolutely. Am I stump humper or tree hugger, no sir......but I love animals....esp the big mean dangerous kind.....if they kill your flocks or run up on your family...dump em and no recourse legal/penalties agree 100%....if (and they do) they proliferate outside of bothering "us" ...absolutely....but to say they dont belong b/c we live here I think isn't right. They are smart and after they learn we'll "dump 'em" and trap 'em.....they'll stay away......but unlike california.......(BTW if the NW decided to pull CA law where everything is protected {which i think is a huge mistake} then I would agree populations are too high)....perhaps I like wild animals more than I like antifa Pu$$was....sorry if I offended anyone but nature is brutal.....are we the top of the food chain for a reason? DANG RIGHT NWFA! PEW!

Yanked them after thinking about militant environmentalists recognizing the man in the pic.

He's a relatively well known farmer in a small town and I'd rather not jeopardize his safety. If i knew how to erase his face I'd do that.

Sounds crazy I'm sure but that's the world we live in.

Tried to convince my wife i could handle 2-3 african wild dogs......she loved the pattern but after watching YT video's she told me I would be safer with a small bowl of Piranhas.... :(

African-Wild-Dog@large.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

wild_dogs-web.jpg

giphy.gif

I'll say this and leave it at that! I see all sides of the story and agree with things on both sides.

I do know this if I see one I'm not going to assume he's friendly. My guess is they are hunting and I'm dinner so I will leave with a couple new rugs for the man cave!

Get me one too buddy... I mean get me two, at least 2 buddy... I need more decoration for my man cave... On a serious note, my elk hunting buddy and I ran across 4 sets of wolf tracks during our elk hunt this last November. It pisses me off how they had to transplant these wolves into our lands when they are not even indigenous to this area. The wolves they brought in are from Canada and they are huge. Those paw tracks were quite impressive. I'm not liking the thought of how many elk and deer they eat up in our woods either. They were eradicated long ago for a damn good reason... Why bring them back???

Last Edited:
SIGN ON THE BACK OF MY QUAD...

I LIKE WOLVES....BAR-B-QUDE

WE saw a wolf 50 yds from elk camp last year. Had been seeing elk everyday before. Had to move to another area....elk disappeared.

IMO...deer and elk have enough predators to worry about without some feel gooders pushing wolves down our throats......rant over

I disagree with a lot of what has been said here as I think it defines wolves by their extremes rather than their normal behavior.

I'll be lazy and use Wikipedia as a source, apologizing ahead of time, but for example with regards to the "200 lb. wolves":
Of course those are averages; there is always some sort of distribution or curve, and outliers. I have anecdotally heard about 175 lb. wolves and seen pictures to match, but you can also root around and find 400 lb. humans. These are the exceptions, not the rule. I don't think there are whole packs of 200 lb. wolves out there, or at least I haven't seen any credible evidence of it. FWIW, I have also lived in British Columbia and I haven't seen any notable differences in the wolves there, although there is a theory that they increase in size (even within a species) in proportion with distance from the equator.

Likewise with the behavior. Having lived with malamutes and having been involved with a wolf rescue, wolves also have an entirely different side to them than simply being aggressive. In certain company they can be very kind and playful, family (pack) oriented animals, and their behavior can be very similar to northern breeds of dogs. That isn't to say that they would make good pets, but if you have lived with a dog, wolves will exhibit many of the same traits of love and loyalty to each other that you enjoy from Fido. They are extremely intelligent animals, and it is a great thing to observe.

That also isn't to say that wolves are all fun and games. Wolves have two very different sides to them, depending on whether they are aggressive towards you or not, and that just depends on the situation. I wouldn't want to be in front of a pack of angry wolves just as much as I wouldn't want to be in front of a pack of angry anything -- two legs or four. Simply put though, wolf attacks are also statistically rare, especially in North America. So rare that they can be cataloged in a relatively small table. You will note that most of these attacks take place in Russia where the density of wolves is substantially higher than anything seen in North America. The relatively few wolves that we have here (after the U.S. Government sponsored genocide up through the 1960s) are nothing close to what exists in Russia, so I don't think it would be fair to draw any parallels to the futures of wolf recovery. In the Pacific Northwest, they are simply coming back from the very brink of (human caused) extinction.

What it comes down to is this:

Wolves and humans were historically in conflict for the same food sources. Humans tended (and still do tend) herds of domesticated livestock that were/are an opportune source of food for wolves; wolves, like any other animal, need to eat, and so they do. Given the one tool at their disposal -- biting -- kills aren't necessarily going to be pretty either. They don't make clean, sanitary, one shot kills, but they don't have access to the same tools that the other two or four legged predators use to do this.

I think it's relatively disingenuous to sensationalize the visual process of them killing. What it really comes down to is that they're in competition with humans for food, and humans don't seem to take that very well.

Anyone can certainly beat the drum of the apex predator and claim that humans have a right to kill anything that competes with them or gets in their way. That's an approach, obviously one which some people embrace. However I don't think it is the only approach, or honestly, morally supportable. I don't think it jives with the respect that humans show for each others' lives, but somehow fail to extend beyond the boundaries of their species. With human ingenuity and modern tools and technology, I'd hope that people could rise above an approach of "they ate our food, let's bubblegum them up."

Just as background, I'm not a city dweller. I don't currently live in wolf territory, but we do have cougars and black bears around here on a regular basis and I carry a 12 ga. or a .45-70 to protect myself when I'm out alone. I'm at least moderately familiar with the danger of co-existing with predators. I also wouldn't mind living in an area with wolves. I will willingly put my money where my mouth is. I think there is a lot more tangible risk, by orders of magnitude, walking around with all the junkies, street kids, and Black Lives rioters in downtown PDX. It's an interesting point of comparison, though, that nobody would seriously suggest an eradication program for them, right?
Yep, these are just average german shepherd sized, harmless, live-and-let-live, doggies:
guided-wolf-hunts.jpg iu-2.jpeg iu-3.jpeg

BTW -
Yeah let's wait until there's a whole bunch more of them,...

List of wolf attacks in North America - Wikipedia

I'm kinda calling BS on this in certain ways.....sled/pack dogs even if "domesticated" arent push-overs even if the anchor is down...... they will fight and they will def. kill..... and much more aggressively than our domesticated ones (even trained ones)....b/c they have pack mentality....and "owner love"....something must have happened VERY strangely for the wolves to kill a big animal (a human) and then fight two more (humans) with two sled teams and gun a blazing.....and all they found were the human remains and 16 wolf carcasses....no dogs? highly suspect (but thats why you cant use wiki for real college dissertations; anyone can write) 16 wolves killed.......packs (most) dont get "huge" b/c the wolf order breaks down, they become combat ineffective. JMO....10-15 is maxing out efficiency and to take on 2 sled teams and locked and pi$$ed loaded hunters (unless they were really drunk) should have the upper hand....but i've been wrong before

tumblr_mef4dbQ6lm1rk4afvo1_500.gif

Last Edited:
BTW -

I'm kinda calling BS on this in certain ways.....sled/pack dogs even if "domesticated" arent push-overs even if the anchor is down...... they will fight and they will def. kill..... and much more aggressively than our domesticated ones (even trained ones)....b/c they have pack mentality....and "owner love"....something must have happened VERY strangely for the wolves to kill a big animal (a human) and then fight two more (humans) with two sled teams and gun a blazing.....and all they found were the human remains and 16 wolf carcasses....no dogs? highly suspect (but thats why you cant use wiki for real college dissertations; anyone can write) 16 wolves killed.......packs dont get "huge" b/c the wolf order breaks down, they become combat ineffective. JMO....10-15 is maxing out efficiency and to take on 2 sled teams and locked and pi$$ed loaded hunters (unless they were really drunk) should have the upper hand....but i've been wrong before

View attachment 430665
'Super pack' of 400 wolves kill 30 horses in just four days in remote Russian village | Daily Mail Online

BTW -

I'm kinda calling BS on this in certain ways.....sled/pack dogs even if "domesticated" arent push-overs even if the anchor is down...... they will fight and they will def. kill..... and much more aggressively than our domesticated ones (even trained ones)....b/c they have pack mentality....and "owner love"....something must have happened VERY strangely for the wolves to kill a big animal (a human) and then fight two more (humans) with two sled teams and gun a blazing.....and all they found were the human remains and 16 wolf carcasses....no dogs? highly suspect (but thats why you cant use wiki for real college dissertations; anyone can write) 16 wolves killed.......packs dont get "huge" b/c the wolf order breaks down, they become combat ineffective. JMO....10-15 is maxing out efficiency and to take on 2 sled teams and locked and pi$$ed loaded hunters (unless they were really drunk) should have the upper hand....but i've been wrong before
And if you had checked the citations in the Wiki article, you'd know you're wrong this time.
The Wiki cites the Prescott , AZ Weekly Journal-Miner, and a copy of it is available at the Library of Congress website here:
Weekly journal-miner. (Prescott, Ariz.) 1908-1929, December 27, 1922, Image 1

Right there at the top of pg 1 in the 2nd & 3rd columns.

I've been duped by Wiki before too, but I checked the citations for all the incidents listed.
Furthermore, wolf attacks the world over all carry the same or very similar patterns. Whether in N.A., Eastern Europe or Russia/Siberia.
When their numbers get high enough, the wolf pack(s) start exerting their apex tendencies, and care less and less about the things that scared off smaller packs.
It's almost like a mob mentality.

So to those that want to root for the wolf, go ahead.

I'll keep rooting for laws that let me kill them, before Oregon descends into full-blown predator-pit status.

Best post of the whole bunch! Now that the liberal wolf-huggers have been smoked out...how do you feel about sea lions? Like the guy said earlier - we should leave them alone until they become a problem....whoops, too late!

Sea lions don't eat humans.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top