JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Earlier I wrote:
I have run into a couple people like that on various survival boards

A few years back I was on a forum (don't remember which one) and was in one of the survival & prep subforum. The discussion was food and supplies. Some guy gets on and stated something like:

"I have no supplies other than guns. If I need food or supplies for my family I'll just see what my neighbors have and kill whoever has what I need, and take it. I have extensive military training and you will never see me coming. . . I'll just come into your house in the middle of the night and kill everyone and take what I need" and so on. . .

This went on for a couple day till we finally got him banned. Don't know if he was a troll or if he was sincere about his "plan". But either way I'm willing to bet that there are people out there who really do plan on just "taking what they want" and killing anyone who gets in their way.

Unlike many liberal DAs who are currently contributing to the crime waves in many of our cities, I really do believe that there are evil people out there. People who need to be dealt with in a very harsh manner.

However I don't think that many of these predators have very well thought out plans. A person like the one I just described might get away with it once or twice, but eventually the other people in the neighborhood will identify the problem and band together to remove the threat.

If Bob doesn't have a generator and I do, and one day the neighbors find me dead and my generator is missing. Then Bob suddenly has a generator exactly like my missing one. . . It won't take people very long to figure out what happened.

Last Edited:
Same thing goes for them, come get some f'ers.

finger-nuke.jpg

Earlier I wrote:
I have run into a couple people like that on various survival boards

A few years back I was on a forum (don't remember which one) and was in one of the survival & prep subforum. The discussion was food and supplies. Some guy gets on and stated something like:

"I have no supplies other than guns. If I need food or supplies from my family I'll just see what my neighbors have and kill whoever has what I need, and take it. I have extensive military training and you will never see me coming. . . I'll just come into your house in the middle of the night and kill everyone and take what I need" and so on. . .

This went on for a couple day till we finally got him banned. Don't know if he was a troll or if he was sincere about his "plan". But either way I'm willing to bet that there are people out there who really do plan on just "taking what they want" and killing anyone who gets in their way.

Unlike many liberal DAs who are currently contributing to the crime waves in many of our cities, I really do believe that there are evil people out there. People who need to be dealt with in a very harsh manner.

However I don't think that many of these predators have very well thought out plans. A person like the one I just described might get away with it once or twice, but eventually the other people in the neighborhood will identify the problem and band together to remove the threat.

If Bob doesn't have a generator and I do, and one day the neighbors find me dead and my generator is missing. Then Bob suddenly has a generator exactly like my missing one. . . It won't take people very long to figure out what happened.
People like that are morons. There are home invasions on a regular basis (with society functioning like normal) and it isn't infrequent that people are shot and killed while attempting to get into others homes. So to think that when people are already on high alert because of a significant disruption to society, that they will be able to just walk in and attack and not get blasted by the occupant in the process, is a bit of an assumption to say the least.

Personally I'm not worried about the theoretical roving hordes of unprepared people. I'm more concerned with immediate neighbors who will want sympathy for their situation and hope that our acquaintance will grant them assistance and the ability to obtain goods they don't have. It's a fine line between "bigger tribe including the neighbor" and "dead weight leaching resources."

I think I tend to focus on the latter. If I have taken the time, effort, and expense to plan ahead and store nearly a year's worth of food on the shelf, someone else who hasn't done that, and will draw off my resources due to their lack of preparedness, had better provide a significant benefit to earn those resources.

People like that are morons. There are home invasions on a regular basis (with society functioning like normal) and it isn't infrequent that people are shot and killed while attempting to get into others homes. So to think that when people are already on high alert because of a significant disruption to society, that they will be able to just walk in and attack and not get blasted by the occupant in the process, is a bit of an assumption to say the least.

Personally I'm not worried about the theoretical roving hordes of unprepared people. I'm more concerned with immediate neighbors who will want sympathy for their situation and hope that our acquaintance will grant them assistance and the ability to obtain goods they don't have. It's a fine line between "bigger tribe including the neighbor" and "dead weight leaching resources."

I think I tend to focus on the latter. If I have taken the time, effort, and expense to plan ahead and store nearly a year's worth of food on the shelf, someone else who hasn't done that, and will draw off my resources due to their lack of preparedness, had better provide a significant benefit to earn those resources.
This is my greatest concern. If I outright deny them, I risk gaining their resentment and some neighbors may have a larger ego and be less...diplomatic than others. Hopefully they have something to barter. Hopefully, I don't have to look at limiting when we cook food to avoid uninvited dinner guests.

I'm more concerned with immediate neighbors who will want sympathy for their situation and hope that our acquaintance will grant them assistance and the ability to obtain goods they don't have.

As I have said before:
18 months of supplies for 4 =
9 months for 8
6 months for 12
3.5 months for 20

Once you help one family, word WILL get around and eveyone on the block will expect the same. . .

About 60 people live in our little neighborhood.
1.5 months for 60

I don't mind helping people if it's a 2+ week power failure due to an ice storm. But if I know that I will not be able to go to a grocery store again for at least 2 years. . . That's a whole different scenario.

As I have said before:
18 months of supplies for 4 =
9 months for 8
6 months for 12
3.5 months for 20

Once you help one family, word WILL get around and eveyone on the block will expect the same. . .

About 60 people live in our little neighborhood.
1.5 months for 60

I don't mind helping people if it's a 2+ week power failure due to an ice storm. But if I know that I will not be able to go to a grocery store again for at least 2 years. . . That's a whole different scenario.
We might not be able to predict how long we would be completely reliant on our preps. Anything that could throw enough dust into the atmosphere to cool the planet (asteroid impact, volcanic eruptions, nuclear war...) could also make it impossible to grow very much food.

We might not be able to predict how long we would be completely reliant on our preps. Anything that could throw enough dust into the atmosphere to cool the planet (asteroid impact, volcanic eruptions, nuclear war...) could also make it impossible to grow very much food.

I'm all for being prepared but I don't have a meteor or "complete apocalypse plan"

If a group of bandits wants what I have bad enough, they are going to get it. I may take a few out, but I'm not Rambo. Bring enough guys from enough directions, I'm hosed no matter how poorly "trained" they are.

If it really does come down to living like that though, I have to wonder if it's REALLY worth living for. Just keepin' on in a breakdown like that, especially as I age, doesn't hold a lot of appeal.

Don't get me wrong, I'd fight to the bitter end, but I have to wonder if that end might actually be better than "winning".

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top