JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
There are four things on your body that you are a priority to protect - in order to function halfway decently in a SHTF scenario:

1) Hands (by extension, arms)
2) Feet (by extension, legs)
3) Eyes
4) Ears

In this thread I want to share some of my thoughts and solicit some of yours of footwear.

Besides socks, shoes/boots are important. In almost any SHTF scenario, survivors need to be ambulatory (able to walk). To that end, a survivor needs footwear that will protect his/her feet, regardless of the environment (wet, cold, hot, rocky, glass and other things that might puncture footwear) and to be comfortable for long distances.

Over the decades I have tried a lot of different brands of footwear due to my jobs (manual and outdoors labor) and pastimes (hunting, hiking, etc.). I struggled with finding footwear (primarily boots) that were comfortable walking long distances and protected my feet. I tried many brands, such as Danner, etc. - typical consumer work boots. I've worn caulks (as a choker setter) and other purpose made work boots. I've worn XC ski boots, hiking boots, MX/Dual Sport boots.

I haven't worn every brand of work boots, but I have found most of what I call consumer work boots (Danner, Red Wing, etc.) to not work for me. The Danners I got were ill fitting and not waterproof as advertised. Others were made more for standing around on a work site, protecting your feet from impacts, etc., than tromping around in the woods, over rough terrain.

I found hiking boots, both domestic and foreign made to be more comfortable, usually more protective (except maybe where you needed steel toes, etc), and usually more resistant to water ingress, and warmer in the cold.

When I was younger, I seemed to have more problems with keep my feet dry and warm - primarily warm. Of course, keeping them dry helps keep your feet warm. Over the years my feet have grown from about size 10.5 in my twenties, to now (at 66) they are about 13.5-14. Not sure if that is due to weight gain or just normal or a little of both. But I have much less problems with keeping my feet warm.

Anyway, over the years I have had some boots that worked well - like Vasque and Keen. I used to be a believer in Merrell footwear, but the company was sold to Karhu and then Wolverine. Manufacturing was moved to Asia. Quality went down, and size 13 show would fit tight when a different size 13 shoe would fit loose. I discovered Keen - much of their footwear is made in Portland, OR with the materials/etc. coming from Asia. I like them, but they are not perfect.

I just got thru repairing some Merrell boots I wore while burning my slash piles; the heat from the piles melted the glue holding the sole to the upper, about a third of the sole, at the front, eventually came completely unglued - not surprising as this wasn't a work boot, more of a hiking boot. A lot of footwear today do not have soles that are stitched - instead they are glued to the upper. I bought some shoe goo and used that to reglue the soles, and to seal them up. We'll see how that works and holds up. I also used some of the Shoe Goo to try to water proof some of the boot at the front; from the outset, these "waterproof" boots were anything but waterproof. Anymore I try to not get boots that have any non-leather fabric exposed as that seems to be where water and dirt get into the boot.

I used to have a pair of Vasque Sundowner GTX boots I bought in Alaska - I loved those boots and wore them for about ten years almost every day, until they were falling apart - the last year or so held together by duct tape. I have a similar pair now.

My main complaint about these kinds of boots is that they are "mid-length" coming up to just above or even with my ankle. That is mostly ok until I get out in the grass/snow/etc. and then all kinds of crap gets into the boot at the top. Gaiters are the answer, but gaiters are inconvenient to use and while they work against snow/etc., most are not good when walking thru a creek.

TH,

You posted:

"I found hiking boots, both domestic and foreign made to be more comfortable"

Um, ok, what's the 3rd choice?

There is a third choice?

This is what I wear for working with a chain saw or with equipment like my flail mower:

wn-wenatchee-product-1-20224072-0-140928972-normal.jpg

Keen Wenatchee steel toe insulated waterproof work boot - size 14. I bought and installed a steel insole into them to protect my feet from anything that might puncture the sole. I have to wear thick socks to fit correctly, and to protect my foot from the steel toe (which isn't very comfortable.

Too heavy, stiff and not comfortable enough for tromping around in the woods. I walk around behind the flail mower with them though and use them when cutting firewood (to protect my feet from the chainsaw). These will probably last me the rest of my life.

If it's a SHTF scenario.... get the best combat boots you can lay hands on. I'm partial to Danner Quarries with safety toe. No boot will be "water proof" forever, that's why in SHTF you should carry a 2nd pair like you do in the military.

I wear my Danners almost everyday, practically all day on concrete, in mud, slick rooftops, metal scaffolds, ladders, around sharp protrusions, etc.

Don't discount the benefits of wearing an old-school, 8"-12" tall, heavy, "combat type" boots, they're armor for your feet. Your legs will also become stronger from the added weight.

There are also a myriad ways to lace up boots to make them fit the unique contours of your feet and keep them from either being too tight or too loose in areas,
and keeping them from sliding around as well.

The first two eyelets are each secured with a half hitch, then right at the top of my arch where it meets my ankle I use a surgeons knot that doesn't work loose during the day (this prevents my boot from sliding back and forth as I walk and climb which causes blistering), then instead of crossing the laces from there I skip up to the speed-hooks above my ankle joint and do standard cross-lacing the rest of the way (this prevents the laces from digging in and hurting the top of my arches while also providing ankle support).

It made my Danners WAY more comfortable from when I was just doing the standard old "right over left" cross lacing.

Here's a photo of my size-12 flipper as I type:

F3EE193A-0687-4D93-ACB2-3B7D9ED3B4B4.jpeg

Last Edited:
My favorite military boots of all...
The old fashioned US Army Jungle Boot....The old style with Green sides and "Panama" soles.
Wore those a lot when I was in the Army...Wore 'em a lot when I got out...
Sadly "Taps" has been played over my last issued pair...many moons ago.

Or....

My issued "Jump Boots"...
Again very comfortable , after being broken in....and like the above mentioned Jungle boots...
Sadly long gone....
Andy

If it's a SHTF scenario.... get the best combat boots you can lay hands on. I'm partial to Danner Quarries with safety toe. No boot will be "water proof" forever, that's why in SHTF you should carry a 2nd pair like you do in the military.

I wear my Danners almost everyday, practically all day on concrete, in mud, slick rooftops, metal scaffolds, ladders, around sharp protrusions, etc.

Don't discount the benefits of wearing an old-school, 8"-12" tall, heavy, "combat type" boots, they're armor for your feet. Your legs will also become stronger from the added weight.

There are also a myriad ways to lace up boots to make them fit the unique contours of your feet and keep them from either being too tight or too loose in areas,
and keeping them from sliding around as well.

The first two eyelets are each secured with a half hitch, then right at the top of my arch where it meets my ankle I use a surgeons knot that doesn't work loose during the day (this prevents my boot from sliding back and forth as I walk and climb which causes blistering), then instead of crossing the laces from there I skip up to the speed-hooks above my ankle joint and do standard cross-lacing the rest of the way (this prevents the laces from digging in and hurting the top of my arches while also providing ankle support).

It made my Danners WAY more comfortable from when I was just doing the standard old "right over left" cross lacing.

Here's a photo of my size-12 flipper as I type:

View attachment 714153

I like the spin on the laces between the eyelets and the hooks.

Merino wool socks. I have tall ones for boots and low ones for shorts and sneakers. It's all I wear, winter or summer.

Some may question, why wool in the summer/warmer climates? Seriously, my feet detect no difference temperature-wise. Wool is actually absorbent and wicks sweat way from my feet. And, because it is thicker, it provides padding and comfort, giving a couple extra hours/miles before a brand new shoe/boot I haven't hiked in before can raise a blister.

Regarding blisters, I've been on some longish treks before (for me anyway) when a new shoe/boot starts gnawing at a heel or tendon or the top of a toe (not a band-aid in sight if I don't have my day pack). So I fold up a dollar bill (or yen note depending on where I am) and insert that as a temporary smooth buffer until I can get somewhere to administer actual first aid.

Oh, and I have two pairs that I alternate every other day. ;)

I alternate most of my footwear. It makes them last longer when given a chance to air out.

That said, if I am on foot away from my BOL, I doubt I will be carry two heavy pair of boots. I am way past the point of any extra weight making me stronger and at the point where I carry the least weight necessary so that I can make it a few feet further before I collapse with a heart attack - literally.

Anyway, over the years I have had some boots that worked well - like Vasque and Keen. I used to be a believer in Merrell footwear, but the company was sold to Karhu and then Wolverine. Manufacturing was moved to Asia. Quality went down, and size 13 show would fit tight when a different size 13 shoe would fit loose.

I had the exact same experience with Merrel, use to wear them all the time, no longer. They are complete crap. Check out Asolo for a similar type product.

Great points in the OP. I have pretty much moved to hiking boots for my "tactical" boots. Asolo brand fits me very well and are my backpacking / hiking boots. 5.10 (not 5.11) Guide Tennies are my daily shoes if not wearing "running" shoes. Another great addition are insoles, either custom or the cut to fit kind.

What I have found is that many of the "tactical" boots, even pricy ones, are simply horrible. I like most 5.11 clothing but have two pair of their boots and they are the most uncomfortable, poorly designed boots I have ever (tried) to lace up. YMMV. Hiking boots have evolved over many decades to be comfortable to wear for multiple days while you are carrying heavy gear. Asolo started in 1946 in Italy.

I wore Rocky boots daily for years at work and they were comfortable and easy to run in. They were a hybrid leather, cordura type material. The soles were very soft so they wore out pretty quickly but resoled well.

Remember if you are wearing any type of dress shoe to have a pair of walking shoes or boots to get you home in a SHTF situation.

My current hunting boots are waterproof Columbia Bugaboots (funny now with the boogaloo nonsense), replacing Hy-tec Magnums that gave up the ghost after about 9 years. The Hy-tecs were very comfortable but I had to treat them for waterproofing. The Columbias are insulated, which is nice. I put at least 15-20 miles on them every hunting season.

I laugh at all these posters That get years out of boots. I walk about 180-200 miles a month and i cant get more Than about 6 months out of any set of boots no matter how expensive. I agree columbia bugaboo boots are my go to work boots and cheap at the outlet stores but way to hot to backpack with.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top