JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
When some sanity returns to the market and masks are reasonable prices, and maybe not surgical masks from China, I will buy some more. This kind of caught me flat footed. I had about twenty 3M N95 vented masks. I was not thinking about biologicals and I wasn't thinking about prolonged wearing (i.e., for weeks or more).

I was thinking more along the lines of dust from volcanoes, wind storms, building collapsing, that kind of thing - and only enough to get home.

As others have pointed out, the vented masks do little (or nothing) to protect others from the wearer (assuming it is the wearer that is infected) - they are to protect the wearer from others. It would be better to have the wearer use the surgical or non-vented masks, and the person who was not infected wear the vented or a surgical mask also.

The surgical masks (like below) are supposed to be changed every 4 hours. So you need them in bulk (as in hundreds) if someone going to be in quarantine or isolation.

41atOuTH%2BrL._AC_SX450_.jpg

Plus you maybe want everybody, infected or not to wear them.

OTOH, you could have the opposite situation; someone is sick, but not infections, while at the same time they may be immuno-suppressed or otherwise susceptible to infection (e.g., open wounds), etc. - so anybody caring for them would preferably be wearing these surgical masks, or at least the non-vented N95 masks.

In short, this caught me off-balance. I don't have enough masks, and I have none of the kind of masks I would want to give an infected person.

The issue is "particles" wet or dry. Germs and dust are "big", viruses are "small"
When we sneeze and breathe, we send out wet globs of germs and viruses.
Masks can block or minimize "glob transmission" and may be rated for how they block stuff (hours worn).
Vents make it easier to exhale your breath. If the other folks don't have a mask, your breath becomes their breath.
If you are contagous (hot) stay away from folks who are not (hot).

dust from volcanoes, wind storms, building collapsing: What's in the atmosphere? Volcanoes emit sulphuric acid clouds, and lots of other gasses a mask won't help. Wind storm dust a mask can block. Building collapse air is full of asbestos, cement dust, ground-up people, etc.

In short, it's all a crap-shoot. I wish you the best. At least you are fixing to equip.

Regards, Rick.
I'm a legend in my own mind, former firefighter-emt, usmc, and have been called bubblegum from time to time.

We have a good stack of the non vented 95s. Also a couple boxes of the surgical. Couple of the P100 half face masks and filters. I carry one of the P100's at work for emergencies. This stuff is like all the supplies we keep in case "something happens". Now will people learn from this latest panic? Look at ammo, I doubt many will learn anything. We just went through an ammo shortage due to panic that lasted YEARS. As soon as the stuff was on the shelf again most went back to sleep. Human nature <shrug>

I've been confused to the whole "they do nothing" part. Especially since every time I've had pneumonia in the past. Nurses and doctors immediately put one on in my presence.

I've been confused to the whole "they do nothing" part. Especially since every time I've had pneumonia in the past. Nurses and doctors immediately put one on in my presence.
No one who knows what they are talking about says they do nothing. What many have "tried" to tell people is the mask by it's self is all but worthless. The people walking around with one of the masks on often "think" they are now safe. Virus does not stop at just the mask. It's getting all over everything you touch. When the health workers put on a mask they are NOT only trying to protect themselves from you. They are trying to protect you from THEM. When you are sick, you are weaker. The health worker is around a lot of sick people. Do you want them to give you 2 or 3 more things while your body is already taxed heavily?

The filter masks help, but what people are saying is that the surgical masks are more effective for the infected people, and for health workers. The latter because it helps a nurse or a doctor not infect you; they are exposed to infectious diseases day in, day out, and if they get something, then wearing a mask while treating you means there is less chance that they would pass it on.

If you don't want to catch something, then get the vented or non-vented N-95 particulate masks. If you have already caught something, then, if you have some, wear the surgical masks when you are around others (or in a shared environment where you might spread the disease onto surfaces) and change the mask every 4 hours.

When some sanity returns to the market and masks are reasonable prices, and maybe not surgical masks from China, I will buy some more. This kind of caught me flat footed. I had about twenty 3M N95 vented masks. I was not thinking about biologicals and I wasn't thinking about prolonged wearing (i.e., for weeks or more).

I was thinking more along the lines of dust from volcanoes, wind storms, building collapsing, that kind of thing - and only enough to get home.

As others have pointed out, the vented masks do little (or nothing) to protect others from the wearer (assuming it is the wearer that is infected) - they are to protect the wearer from others. It would be better to have the wearer use the surgical or non-vented masks, and the person who was not infected wear the vented or a surgical mask also.

The surgical masks (like below) are supposed to be changed every 4 hours. So you need them in bulk (as in hundreds) if someone going to be in quarantine or isolation.

View attachment 671006

Plus you maybe want everybody, infected or not to wear them.

OTOH, you could have the opposite situation; someone is sick, but not infections, while at the same time they may be immuno-suppressed or otherwise susceptible to infection (e.g., open wounds), etc. - so anybody caring for them would preferably be wearing these surgical masks, or at least the non-vented N95 masks.

In short, this caught me off-balance. I don't have enough masks, and I have none of the kind of masks I would want to give an infected person.
I wonder what treatment can be done to make masks reusable. Probably no studies on this have been done because we have always assumed they are disposable and in endless supply.

Ozone has been shown to kill viruses and bacteriaon surfaces and in water (also used by some municipalities that don't use chlorine). Ozone gas is also used in surgery rooms sterilization in between surgeries. The tests I read were low ozone levels (80mg in 1 square meter for 72 hours). Ozone generators can create 10,000 mg/hr or more

So ozone might be a possibility. UV, soaking in bleach solution or alcohol solution might be others.

For other emergencies - like ones that create dust/ash (volcanoes, wildfires, windstorms) - consider getting masks for your dogs, or keep them inside. Yes, they do make masks just for dogs.

E.G., say you have your dog along with you while away from home - you are traveling in your vehicle. Mt. St. Helens or Rainier or Mt. Hood blows its top and you have to deal with ash, so you use your filter masks. What about your dog?

I wonder what treatment can be done to make masks reusable. Probably no studies on this have been done because we have always assumed they are disposable and in endless supply.

Ozone has been shown to kill viruses and bacteriaon surfaces and in water (also used by some municipalities that don't use chlorine). Ozone gas is also used in surgery rooms sterilization in between surgeries. The tests I read were low ozone levels (80mg in 1 square meter for 72 hours). Ozone generators can create 10,000 mg/hr or more

So ozone might be a possibility. UV, soaking in bleach solution or alcohol solution might be others.
Some are doing it here now. It has LONG been done in other country's. The paper ones are of course not good for this. Many of the N95's can be sterilized. Many of them are mostly cotten . So yes they can be sterilized and used again.

You can get a respirator mask like this:

61IimqRWXxL._AC_SX522_.jpg

I have several for painting. The filters are replaceable. The mask is not cheap, but is affordable. They are not comfortable, but they are effective, often more effective than the disposable filters.

The filter masks help, but what people are saying is that the surgical masks are more effective for the infected people, and for health workers. The latter because it helps a nurse or a doctor not infect you; they are exposed to infectious diseases day in, day out, and if they get something, then wearing a mask while treating you means there is less chance that they would pass it on.

If you don't want to catch something, then get the vented or non-vented N-95 particulate masks. If you have already caught something, then, if you have some, wear the surgical masks when you are around others (or in a shared environment where you might spread the disease onto surfaces) and change the mask every 4 hours.
I recall the last time I had pneumonia. They put in a mask once determining I had a high fever and a bad cough. They also put one on me. Once I was in a room. I no longer had to wear one. However the nurses and doctors put one on before entering and took them off after leaving my room.

I couldn't help but feel they were protecting themselves and not me.

Exact thing took place when I took my son in two weeks ago and he had pneumonia.

You can get a respirator mask like this:

View attachment 671201

I have several for painting. The filters are replaceable. The mask is not cheap, but is affordable. They are not comfortable, but they are effective, often more effective than the disposable filters.
I keep one of those at work for emergencies where I do not have time to don a "CAPER". They are still available. Run around $20 for the mask, filters run about the same. Some come with one set for the same price,

I recall the last time I had pneumonia. They put in a mask once determining I had a high fever and a bad cough. They also put one on me. Once I was in a room. I no longer had to wear one. However the nurses and doctors put one on before entering and took them off after leaving my room.

I couldn't help but feel they were protecting themselves and not me.

Exact thing took place when I took my son in two weeks ago and he had pneumonia.
Do you want the people who are treating a LOT of other sick people breathing on your son? Nothing like giving the already sick child a new thing? This is the problem with "emotion". The health care workers are trying to not make your kid sicker. The reason they force us to get vaccines is not to keep us from getting sick. It's so we do not get something that we will get over and give it to the sick and weak who will die from it. So every year I line up and let them shoot me with stuff to protect you and your Son.

Do you want the people who are treating a LOT of other sick people breathing on your son? Nothing like giving the already sick child a new thing? This is the problem with "emotion". The health care workers are trying to not make your kid sicker. The reason they force us to get vaccines is not to keep us from getting sick. It's so we do not get something that we will get over and give it to the sick and weak who will die from it. So every year I line up and let them shoot me with stuff to protect you and your Son.
I understand that.

You literally walk right through the area the health workers work to get to the exam room. Why wouldn't they be wearing those masks and such?

I understand that.

You literally walk right through the area the health workers work to get to the exam room. Why wouldn't they be wearing those masks and such?
If they are not putting a mask on you or the kid when sick at the door, then you should be asking for one. They "should" have them at the counter when you check in. If they do not, ASK for one.

what most persons do not get is that you will track a virus in your house on your shoes and spread it with out knowing it, basic NBC you need a shoe pan out side your door and no one ever thinks about it everyone is always talking about mask

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top