JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
We had a wolf hybrid. Duke was part Malamute and part wolf.
What a nice guy :)

Yep, these are just average german shepherd sized, harmless, live-and-let-live, doggies [...]
The key word being average? I said as much in the original post you quote; you can always find animals larger than average. Posting a few pictures of exceptionally large animals doesn't speak to what their average weight is or what kind of a distribution exists out in the wild.

It is also true that the wolves introduced from Canada were (on average) somewhat larger than the previous subspecies that inhabited this side of the border, although again I don't think that the pictures shown are representative of the typical size difference. From what I have seen, it means a 120 lb animal instead of a 95 lb animal. It's also not clear that it matters in terms of impact to the ecosystem (see: short summary of some findings).

How should I say this... I absolutely do not support proactive killing or eradication of wolves, but I also don't really support wolf re-introduction. It's abundantly clear that humans are tribal animals that don't do well with competition, and that many are unreasonably antagonistic towards wolves. It seems really personal, like maybe they supported the wrong football team or something. I don't think it is fair to the wolves, in the end, to bring them back only to have people harass and kill them. I don't think the argument about potential improvements to the ecosystem justifies that heartache.

Anyways, that's all I have to contribute on this non-gun subject.

A threat is a threat. And if it comes down to me or him, it's gonna be me. I don't care what species it is.

Sea lions don't eat humans.
Maybe not.
But that doesn't change the fact that the Marine Mammal Protection Act is the worst example of environmental/animal protection legislation ever written.
It needed a sunset clause, and it needs provisions for species to become exempt from its protections.
There is no reason in the world to protect the California Sea Lion any longer.

If any animal attacks and is trying to kill one of my dogs, I'll kill it in defense of its life. I would hope that I would have the presence of mind to not kill it if my dog was already dead, but well, bubblegum happens.

I don't understand why there so many articles/statements saying sure, you can defend your life, but implying that it would be somehow wrong to kill in defense of your animals lives. Why in hell it would be illegal to kill a wolf that's actively destroying or killing your property or animals is beyond me. There's something inherently and morally wrong with that.

Last Edited:
Well watcha all doin with 500 rounds of 5.56 and .308 loaded into mags and a dozen AR's if not to shoot a pack of 400 wolves?

Hell, I'd think everyone would want to leave them alone for a few years so they won't be hard to call in:rolleyes:.

They make cougar calls now for the nights when you want to go to the local bar! :p

Are they like this??

IMG_2409.JPG

20170312_164904.jpg 20170312_164934.jpg FB_IMG_1518637273428.jpg

Im torn on the subject, maybe im a touch biased. Most people do not have a clear understanding of wolf behavior in pack or when running solo or in captivity. There is a big difference in wolf behavior between alpha roles and subordinate roles. My 2 pets appear to be 100% timberwolf and were rescued from 3 girls living at the dorms at OSU at 10 months of age. The grey male is about 130# the black female is about 95#. When raised as subordinates and kept from any prospect of achieving a alpha role they can be very loving, submissive, loyal animals. I can feed mine red meat, and let them eat and if I the Alpha decide i want to reclaim said red meat they readily will retreat from it with zero arguement. Ive seen plenty of dogs much worse behaved. That being said I also know there wild animals and must be treated as so. A hungry wolf wild or captive is a hungry wolf and a pack of hungry wolves are going to do what they need to do to survive. Wolves by nature are very reclusive, shy, weary and intelligent. I feel no threat in the wild from the normal wolf pack acting like a normal wolf pack. Its the wolves that learn to not fear people , learn farm livestock is pray that do worry me and should be controlled and the allowance of overpopulation of wolves is clearly a issue. When packs compete and food is scarce is when wolves learn bad things. IDAHO is a great example of a state acting to late on its wolf population , Idaho didnt choose to wait so long before trying to contol there numbers . It was the green peace types and sierra club types that kept idaho from putting the wolf at stage 3 of reintroduction in idaho and thus control to state level but the sierra types always were getting a judges introvention just as idaho would get control handed too them and stopping the state from allowing number control measures. Thus there is no denying the delay (nearly 10 years after wolf population met stage 3 numbers for the state of Idaho to start population controls as they see fit)had devostating effects on elk herds and some wolves learning non wolf behavior of preying on livestock and having less fear of people. Oregon needs to see the effect of waiting to long before population control measures are used yes but i also believe a few wolves in moderation are a good thing ecology wise. And if there numbers are controlled at lower levels there interactions with people and livestock will be minimized but never controlled completly as there will always be rogue wolves and the exeption to the norm and i have no quams of controlling those animals. A few packs in remote wilderness on the otherhand doing what a normal pack of wolves does to survive will likely have very little impact on elk population or livestock or people.

View attachment 430841 View attachment 430842 View attachment 430844

Im torn on the subject, maybe im a touch biased. Most people do not have a clear understanding of wolf behavior in pack or when running solo or in captivity. There is a big difference in wolf behavior between alpha roles and subordinate roles. My 2 pets appear to be 100% timberwolf and were rescued from 3 girls living at the dorms at OSU at 10 months of age. The grey male is about 130# the black female is about 95#. When raised as subordinates and kept from any prospect of achieving a alpha role they can be very loving, submissive, loyal animals. I can feed mine red meat, and let them eat and if I the Alpha decide i want to reclaim said red meat they readily will retreat from it with zero arguement. Ive seen plenty of dogs much worse behaved. That being said I also know there wild animals and must be treated as so. A hungry wolf wild or captive is a hungry wolf and a pack of hungry wolves are going to do what they need to do to survive. Wolves by nature are very reclusive, shy, weary and intelligent. I feel no threat in the wild from the normal wolf pack acting like a normal wolf pack. Its the wolves that learn to not fear people , learn farm livestock is pray that do worry me and should be controlled and the allowance of overpopulation of wolves is clearly a issue. When packs compete and food is scarce is when wolves learn bad things. IDAHO is a great example of a state acting to late on its wolf population , Idaho didnt choose to wait so long before trying to contol there numbers . It was the green peace types and sierra club types that kept idaho from putting the wolf at stage 3 of reintroduction in idaho and thus control to state level but the sierra types always were getting a judges introvention just as idaho would get control handed too them and stopping the state from allowing number control measures. Thus there is no denying the delay (nearly 10 years after wolf population met stage 3 numbers for the state of Idaho to start population controls as they see fit)had devostating effects on elk herds and some wolves learning non wolf behavior of preying on livestock and having less fear of people. Oregon needs to see the effect of waiting to long before population control measures are used yes but i also believe a few wolves in moderation are a good thing ecology wise. And if there numbers are controlled at lower levels there interactions with people and livestock will be minimized but never controlled completly as there will always be rogue wolves and the exeption to the norm and i have no quams of controlling those animals. A few packs in remote wilderness on the otherhand doing what a normal pack of wolves does to survive will likely have very little impact on elk population or livestock or people.
So......you have the required permits for your Wolves?

What permits? The state of oregon declassified wolf hybrids from the exotic species list years ago do to dna studies that they cant determine % via dna since domestic dogs and wolves contain the same dna. But i will tell you oregon state police, polk co sheriff dept, and ODFW are plenty aware of them and ive had zero issues in 9 years. There very content and trouble free .I had a friend that had a verified 100% Idaho wolf that lived in Independence and the city made it so hard on him to keep him by inacting new city rules he finally had to give him up. Fortunately i live in the country on a very large private parcel and there kept in a 150 x150 foot pen 5 ' cattle fence with 3 hot electric wires above up to 7 feet high and a low anti dig out hot wire . You come across sounding like your the wolf patrol ? And i said appear to be 100% , they were stated as being 75% wolf and 25% german shepard.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads