JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
What about this crazy trend to wear the mask under your nose lmao :s0140:

Legitimately every single person I've seen in the last 48 hours with a "surgical" type (instead of a ventilator type) has them affixed firmly over their mouth and not covering their nose at all.....I believe that is when they become useless.

I do keep a full face shield respirator in my oh crap gear with a couple spare cartridges, but I as well have been caught with less of a stash than I would have liked to have for a biological event

what most persons do not get is that you will track a virus in your house on your shoes and spread it with out knowing it, basic NBC you need a shoe pan out side your door and no one ever thinks about it everyone is always talking about mask

Well, I don't lick feet or shoes or the floor. I do track a LOT of crap in from the outside because I live surrounded by a forest - not people. So although I track all this crap in, I don't get sick from it - it is my exposure to people that makes me occasionally get sick.

That said, my next residence (if I can weather the recession well enough to afford one) will have an entrance that has decon capabilities, including a shower, and doors in and out of the decon room.

Well, I don't lick feet or shoes or the floor. I do track a LOT of crap in from the outside because I live surrounded by a forest - not people. So although I track all this crap in, I don't get sick from it - it is my exposure to people that makes me occasionally get sick.

That said, my next residence (if I can weather the recession well enough to afford one) will have an entrance that has decon capabilities, including a shower, and doors in and out of the decon room.

I really miss the old days of the "mud room". When I was a kid this was a very common thing on homes. The only time I ever see one now days in on VERY old homes. Up here where it seems to rain 350 days a year :)D) I never understood why the mud room went away. If I ever buy a place or have one built that would be a part of it I would include. Now the shower in one? If I had the bucks to do that would also be a grand idea I had never thought of. Not only take off the dirty boots and such but just be able to step into a shower before coming in side after working outside would be fantastic.

Many of the farm houses I have been in when I was a kid had a mud room - especially those that were dairies. My grandparent's house had an outside entrance to the basement and they used that sometimes when they were muddy.

Many of the farm houses I have been in when I was a kid had a mud room - especially those that were dairies. My grandparent's house had an outside entrance to the basement and they used that sometimes when they were muddy.
First time I saw one it was first home we had as a kid. It was the old style often now called farm house. Was on a large tract of land and back door opened into a mud room. We used that entrance almost exclusively for just that reason. Walk in, take off boots, door on other side opened into the kitchen/ dinning area. Miss coming in cold, wet, dirty, and hungry to the smell of good stuff cooking. :)

As for what the WHO, Trump or what some TV doctors may say (to protect the supplies for themselves).... Then, knowing that science will take time...... So, all that being said.....

Look at what happened in Korea and Japan vs what's happening in the WEST. Yes....many, many differences and different circumstances. But for me, the takeaway lesson is......

Look at who is wearing masks more often and how did that turn out for them?

OK, Ok, ok......laugh if you want to.

Maybe, it's more about exposure to wine, gun oil, cheese or one's carrot or Kim Chee eating habits? Whatever.

Me....I don't go out much anymore and I can't say that wearing a mask will guarantee a good outcome. YOU decide for YOU. And, good luck.

Aloha, Mark

PS.....What's Korea's response like?

and there is a Part 2.

Last Edited:
First time I saw one it was first home we had as a kid. It was the old style often now called farm house. Was on a large tract of land and back door opened into a mud room. We used that entrance almost exclusively for just that reason. Walk in, take off boots, door on other side opened into the kitchen/ dinning area. Miss coming in cold, wet, dirty, and hungry to the smell of good stuff cooking. :)

Properly designed, such an entrance can have a number of benefits besides decon (including leaving muddy boots in it); it can be an 'airlock' such that warm air does not escape as easily from the house. Also, it can serve as a security portal.

I dont get the hype over there being a shortage of masks, etc .... and hospitals cant get them ... Dr and nurses getting sick because they are treating people without using PPE...

Long story, short...
All the gear they are harping over is available right now, for you and me, on Amazon..... masks, gloves, disposable coveralls, etc.

If I can go on amazon and buy this stuff... WHY cant a hospital get it? Why cant they just order it from Amazon too?

what most persons do not get is that you will track a virus in your house on your shoes and spread it with out knowing it, basic NBC you need a shoe pan out side your door and no one ever thinks about it everyone is always talking about mask

This is what I'm doing. not to be taken as medical advice but only an example based on what I'm doing.

Wear nitrile gloves outside.
Save Masks for enclosed spaces with people ( grocery shopping, etc.)
Don't throw away either when you're done with them if supplies are limited.

Carefully remove n95 masks and place in paper bag or box. Save for a period of time until most likely not contaminated. Do your own research. Example, UV radiation helps kill microbes. Place in jar on window sill. Keep dry. Reuse after deemed safe.

Gloves.. wash hands or sanitizer with gloves on. Remove carefully and place in box or breathable paper bag. Save till safe to reuse.

Keep outside clothes outside. example, shoes, coveralls, tyvek suit, surgical suit AAMI level 4 is still available. Buy large enough size to fit over your clothes. Hang outside, keep dry, put on using gloves to reduce cross contamination possibility.

A little about masks. Medical style masks don't typically have exhalation vent for the reason mentioned in this thread. Try halyard, Kimberly Clark, or Safe Life. All are expensive right now but super cheap when things are not crazy. Both sell surgical masks and surgical n95 respirators. "Fluid shield" is moisture resistant.

Medical masks are rated ASTM level 1, 2, 3, or N95 Level 3 is typically Orange color and best filtration for surgical style if you can't get N95, N99, N100, P95, P100, etc. Level 3 is next best filtration and typically moisture resistant.

don't forget to wipe down the things you bring in from outside of the house because tests show this stuff lives on plastic and metal for up to three days. Cardboard for 24 hours or more.

Pick your disinfectant and wipe down groceries, mail, keys, wallet and cards used, anything you bring in the house from places wear the public touches, etc. quarantine anyting for period of time until safe to reuse if you don't want to wipe down. Do your own research for time frame. Also you could protect things you don't want to clean all the time . Example, my cell phone goes in a ziplock bag when I leave the house and gets dumped out without touching it when I get back home. That way I don't have to clean my cell phone as much.

Do your own thing. This is just what I'm doing. New reports suggest this thing eats testicular tissue and potentially sterilizing men in addition to destroying lung tissue. Yay.

I dont get the hype over there being a shortage of masks, etc .... and hospitals cant get them ... Dr and nurses getting sick because they are treating people without using PPE...

Long story, short...
All the gear they are harping over is available right now, for you and me, on Amazon..... masks, gloves, disposable coveralls, etc.

If I can go on amazon and buy this stuff... WHY cant a hospital get it? Why cant they just order it from Amazon too?
I just looked and see zero N95 on Amazon. Not sure what you are seeing.

Austria is to join a small but growing number of European countries making the wearing of face masks outside the home compulsory amid shifting debate over the medical gear's protective utility.

Authorities would start distributing millions of free face masks at the entrances to all supermarkets from midweek onwards, chancellor Sebastian Kurz announced on Monday. Shoppers will only be permitted inside supermarkets and other open stores, such as pharmacies, if they are wearing masks.

While masks are a familiar sight throughout Asia, the only other countries in Europe to require the wearing of masks in public space are Slovakia, the Czech Republic and Bosnia-Herzegovina.

Subscribe to read | Financial Times

I am not knowledgeable about masks and will become so. I say this as a precursor to my next statement.
My wife belongs to a couple of sewing groups and one of the things being done is to provide cloth masks that can be worn over the masks that the health care workers are wearing now. Supposedly they can be disinfected / washed and reused. What or how would this help the situation out? I ask because I don't know. I am not sure that they fully understand it.

Long story, short...

Interesting - I checked Amazon recently - I could not find one in the first dozen sellers/masks I checked, that was shipping immediately. They all gave an arrival date of several weeks to several months out - if they were available at all. Go ahead, and order some yourself if you think you can, and see how quickly they arrive. Care personnel need them now, not weeks to months from now.

These, just from Amazon, can be delivered within 10 days.... maybe less depending on location.

Masks?

Gowns?

Gloves?

I personally ordered 4 cases of gloves a two weeks ago for my workplace and we had them within normal delivery times as well.

The above were best case scenarios, several other sellers had the same items arriving April 14-21 or so. Many more have expected dates at the end of April and beginning of May.

This is the result of spending 5 minutes on Amazon. Certainly there are better ways to get these things.... so again, I dont get the hype. Unless I am missing something.

I find it hard to imagine if some nobody like myself can get these things... that a hospital cant with all of its money and resources.

So, unless Ive missed something.... someone needs to call out hospital administration for failing to acquire the PPE for their employees.

I doubt they would be delivered that fast, even though that is the projected date. A lot of them come from China. I tried to order a UV sanitizer early on that projected a 2 week delivery, but the next day they cancelled the order and said I could order again in a month because the factory in China was closed.

But ten days or not, healthcare personnel are running out of supplies today.

That may be... but besides the ones I found, there were many who had dates out into May and June...
May not be that everyone is just putting generic shipping times up.

The story is that no one can get the gear... not that it was ordered and supposed to have arrived by now...

Ive also read stories of doctors buying their own gear, seen sm posts where people are ordering gear and taking it to their local hospital....

The stories just dont fit. If it turns out that hospital admin is crying wolf at the expense of staff and patience's safety I hope some heads roll when this is all over.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top